Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
DustOnMYWings
Darkness of the heartless

Exclamation Make up help!

Ok, I figure this is the perfect place to ask this since I'd like to know what other people think.
I'm cosplaying Dark Link at Megacon next year, but I'm going to be an odd ball and do the full black makeup.
Seeing as this is florida we're talking about, sweating will happen and I know a lot of make up's tend to do the vanishing thingy when you sweat. And I really don't feel like redoing it ever hour, because the one time I did do it for halloween it took HOURS to get it to look like real skin.
So anyone know a good make up to use, and a good store to buy the black from? I can't find any place that sells it and I can't buy it online because... no credit card T_T parents... so mean.
I will not do yaoi to get people to take my picture, sorry but no.
And I will not glomp the cutie in the cat boy costume... No... wait, strike that, too late!

~Up Coming Cons~

ASC~Cosplay:????
DustOnMYWings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

I don't have any suggestions on what type of makeup might be useful, but when I didn't have a credit card, I would get friends to help me out - go over to their house, make the order, let them put in the card information and pay them back in the cash I would have taken to a store to buy the product. Just make sure you trust your friends not to cancel the order!

Or, if you can get info on what product you'd want, you can find a local costume shop that could order it for you. Or make friends with the community theater people
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
D001
D

I believe that a makeup sealer is something you ought to look into. I would do a search in the makeup forum for makeup sealers or just sealers and see what info turns up, because I'm almost positive that I read that the sealers will help with the sweating issue.

If you have a checking account, you might be able to set up a paypal account. I don't know if that will work for ordering product online or not, but you oculd look into it. Another thing is a lot of companies have customer service phone numbers available on their site. You could call them to place the order and mail them a check or money order with the stipulation that they'll fill the order once payment is received. Or like Ali-kun suggested, other friends or relatives who would use their card on your order with you paying them back right then or finding what you want and having a local shop order it for you.

As far as brands, again, I'm not really the best person for makeup advice, but the two biggest brands I've heard of touted as very good are Ben Nye and Krolyean (sp?). I am positive that you'll find mention of both brands when you do the search for sealers

Hope that helps!
D
D001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Crayon

Theater face paint, then apply with some makeupz that'll make it more realistic.

I'm not sure if it's good though.
Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Alcohol-activated makeup is largely sweatproof.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
StHoly

face paint probably?
can you post the pic of it? ><
StHoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
FaeandMerfolk
Costumed in Wyckedness

When I do living statue performances we use a wax based make up from Graftobian. Being wax it's not like creme or cake make up. It stays on better and doesn't rub or drip off as easily. Granted, that means it's a pain to was off.. lots of scrubbing involved in a good shower.

It will stay on hands and body, even when moving and touching things. The wax is a natural moisturizer as well so it doesn't dry your face out like alcohol and the cremes do. You cake it on, even it out and then lightly powder over it and shazzam.. it looks like skin again.

Why yes, I am the Supreme Ruler of All Awesomeness!

Oklahoma Cosplayers Forum Communicate with Oklahoma Cosplayers and learn about our monthly events.

Director of Special Events at Izumicon www.Izumicon.com
Member of the Always Dreaming Cosplay Association And FoxMoon Productions
www.Myspace.com/CostumedWyckedness
Costume List Found Here
FaeandMerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
YumikoRyuu

Ben Nye's wax based makeup with setting powder and sealant works great when trying to avoid sweat issues. Baby oil will take it right off (much easier than scrubbing with soap and water). You can order a catalog from their website and order the materials that way.

http://bennye.com/Catalog_Request.htm