Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Sichi

Exclamation Colored Contacts Help

I'm going to cosplay as Toph Bei Fong from Avatar The Last Airbender in March, and I wanted to know if there was a way to only get 2 pairs of colored contacts without going to the eye doctor, because I just went like a month ago and my mom doesn't want me to have another one.

Also, any color recommendations for looking blind? I have naturally green/blue eyes...so yeah Help is appreciated!
Sichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
neko_lover
NekoVampire Slave

i dont know what kind of contacts you already have but you may be able to soak the contacts in food coloring mixed with contact solution. again i have never tried it but it could possibly work.
neko_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Xuki-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_lover View Post
i dont know what kind of contacts you already have but you may be able to soak the contacts in food coloring mixed with contact solution. again i have never tried it but it could possibly work.
= = that doesn't sound right to me D:
food coloring could make your eyes sting, badly.
Eyes are really sensative, so I don't think you should use a substance usually used for baking or cooking for your eyes. =.=
Xuki-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Roubaix
:Q__

I would definately not suggest soaking them in anything colored. D:
Trust me, there's nothing worse than having an adverse reaction to something in your eye.

I don't know of any do-it-yourself ways to color contacts that are even halfway safe, so I guess you'd need to either be super nice to mom and hope she gives in, or work it what you've got. xD

But then again, I'm definately not the theatrical contact expert.
Roubaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
cuddles116
I Only Need One Person...

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Not only are you recommending something you have never tried but you are recommending a FOOD dye to be inserted eventually into someones eye! Honestly that is unacceptable.

If you have already been fitted for contacts before you don't have to go to the eye doctors again you can order online. If you haven't been fitted it is against the law for a u.s company to sell you any, technically you can buy from over seas companys but not all contacts are the same size and you're risking your vision. Coastal contacts has nice contacts and ship fast. If you don't have your perscription on hand they will contact your eye doctor to verify before they ship to you.

*forgot to add*
I don't think you can look blind but still see. I've looked around for a while for a cosplay I wanted and foggy or blind eye contacts are not see through so you would be blind wearing them lol, perhaps if you find a very light color that isn't bright it would give a blind ish effect perhaps a gray that doesn't have a black rim around it.

Last edited by cuddles116 : 12-06-2007 at 05:15 PM.
cuddles116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Sichi

Thanks guys!

Got it. No food coloring. but seriously...that's just stupid.
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
neko_lover
NekoVampire Slave

you can order contacts here http://www.hauntedeyes.com/ they might have what you are looking for. also i checked up on the food coloring. it does not directly hurt the eyes but it may change the way you see things =/ anyway hope that helps some
neko_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
you can order contacts here http://www.hauntedeyes.com/ they might have what you are looking for. also i checked up on the food coloring. it does not directly hurt the eyes but it may change the way you see things =/ anyway hope that helps some

Actually, that is not true at all.

The American Optometric Association has issued a warning about this practice.

Logically, it's a stupid thing to do.

Anyone who knows anything about contacts knows how incredibly easy it is to get an infection from not disinfecting or sterilizing lenses properly.

Food coloring is NOT a sterile solution, so it could cause eye infections, not to mention allergic reactions in some people.

Infections are a huge deal when they're in your eyes! Without treatment, eye infections become corneal ulcers within mere days. Without treatment for corneal ulcers, which worsen as the infections grows, you go blind.

So yes, it can seriosuly damage your vision.

And while there are some sites that sell contacts without a prescription, this is illegal and can be dangerous. By wearing the wrong size contacts or not learning to properly care for them, you can damage your vision.

If you've not been fitted for contacts ever before, you must go to an optometrist and do so. It's around $80-100 at most places, but your vision is priceless.

*EDIT*

Also, there is no way to get blind looking contacts that you will be able to see out of. If your pupil is covered with white, you will not be able to see.

You could get regular white contacts, but you will not get the pure white/silver eyeball effect that Toph has.

Last edited by Bahzi : 12-06-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
Rainie

Doing anything that involves altering contacts that goes into as vital and sensitive as your eye is a MASSIVE "no". If you aren't able to get them, then you'll have to do without it. And because of the reason as a few people stated before: a completely colored contact like a all black or white contact will not let you see anything.

???
Rainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Sichi

Hehe thanks a lot guys I don't know...I think for now I'm going to concentrate on the outfit and not the contacts. I don't NEED them, they would just add to the costume. Plus I could always photoshop cool eyes later on

Next cosplay:
Toph Bei Fong, from Avatar: The Last Airbender
For Anizona!
Have any tips? Please feel free to contact me!
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
natsuo
Wonderflexing

that's what I would do. Photoshopping cool eyes is not too hard and people will be more impressed with a great outfit even without the eyes rather than the eyes but an "okay" outfit. If you want to see, I would just do without it, because even getting the white ones will not give a full effect without real blindness anyway.
natsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
SooYeonYi

Awwww I don't have Photoshop!!!!! I was thinking about getting blue contacts for my Kairi cosplay but my mom wouldn't let me. is there any other way besides photoshopping and getting contacts?
Unread 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #13
waterdancer

cosplaysupplies.com theyve got an entire section for contact lenses and good blind ones too. but theyre non prescription. i dont knwo if thatll be an issue to you or not.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
NekoMimiChan
*Bri*

It'll be best to go to the eye doctor anyway so they can teach you propper use and care of the contacts. They'll also show you how to put them in/take them out safely.

DON'T be cheap when it comes to your eyesight. It's you're most precious sense and it isn't worth saving $20 and using food coloring if you get an infection or worse. Do things right.

Honestly contacts are a very small part of the costume, no ones going to judge you for not having them. If you do decide to invest in the contacts get them from a reputable place and learn how to wear and care for them.

Future Costumes
Carmilla - Vampire Hunter D
Haydee - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Barioth Blademaster - Monster Hunter
Lulu- FFX
Gwendolyn - Odin Sphere

For Prop Commissions visit my store, DistinctiveProps, on etsy.
NekoMimiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
EarlOfMemphis
Genderless

Try contacts4less.com ^_^ I got my red contacts there. They might range from 20-60 dollars a pair, but they last around 90 days each. Good luck! Oh, and the idiot who suggested the food coloring thing should be smacked, seriously^_^
EarlOfMemphis is offline   Reply With Quote