Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Dragonball Z

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-01-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
Chino-San
Pwetty Pwetty Crossplayer

Is it just me ? (DBZ cosplay Talk)

Okay I was just skimming through cosplay.com and many other cosplay sites. I stumbled apon a large variety of dbz cosplayers. But for some reason I noticed that all of these costumes are not so great. I do give them credit for making these costumes. But I just keep thinking they don't try very hard. I mean I've seen some scary scary costumes of dbz cosplayers trying to flex their no muscled arms.
Also I noticed that no one has gotten the hair very good. I saw maybe a okay goku with foam hair. But its jsut scary to see these ugly foam.......things on their head and your like. What the hell is this? The only characters I've seen that has a large majority of them being accurate is Great Saiyaman, and Hercule. Maybe a couple of vejita's too because their are some awesome vejita's. So I was just thinking maybe it was just me to notice these things.

(Please do not lash out at me. I am just stating my opinion.)

Unread 06-01-2003, 07:23 PM   #2
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

There was a cool girl Vegeta (She was abit skinny.. but the costume was so cute!) up at Colossal con 2003 ^^ She had a good wig.

I hate the foam wigs too =/
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
Chino-San

Foam wigs are dicusting so I am not the only person so yay!
Chino-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

I'm not a fan of foam either. Animazement 2001 I went as Piccolo and I will be the first to say that my costume wasn't the best. In fact, It sucked. Reasons for it's sucky-ness:

- I made it in a rush

- I made it on a low budget

- It was the first costume I'd made and my first con

- I didn't have the costume making skills I have now.

For all you interested in seeing the monstrosity...here it is, the shot from Fans View: http://www.fansview.com/2001/animazement/0526a101.jpg

And please forgive my Jigglypuff bag for all you hard core fans; I think it's cute.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #5
Chino-San

Wow..........no comment
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I'm hoping to inject some professionalism into DBZ costumes. I've got Goku's Turtle-hermit outfit so far, but I don't go all-out with the hair or anything. Ah yes, and the Capsule Corp jacket - actual purple, not a jean jacket. I will, however, be working on Dende for DragonCon and over the winter, a saiyan armor project with some foam-latex sculptors.

Thing is, most of the costumes in DBZ are actually really simple, I don't see why people would have trouble making them. Apart from some bits, like Piccolo's cape, or saiyan armor, nearly everything is a very simple shirt, tunic, pants, jumpsuit, etc. I could knock out most of it in an afternoon without trying and it would still look good. It's only the odd alien characters - Nameks, Kais, Buu - where you start running into issues with complexity. And then, it's mostly with makeup, wigs, and prosthetics, not so much the cloth parts of the costume.

But you're right, I have also seen really bad DBZ costumes, and mediocre ones. Inaccurate, too. It's really not hard to get the details right, and yet some people just don't. I don't understand it. I'd love to sit them all down and give them a crash course in costume 101.
CapsuleCorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
Chino-San

If you do I shall join you. Like you said their soo easy and aren't that hard to put togeather. I mean I have not seen an awesome costume yet for dbz that isn't hercule or great saiyaman. Yes indeed the capsule corp jacket is a very questionable peice of clothing. Some say its jean some say its a purple jacket. I've seen some mediocre ones.
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

It's a purple jacket in every picture I've ever seen. Moreover, it has an oversized collar, is cropped very short, and has one large pocket on the front of each side. No jean jacket is going to have that, you'd have to custom make it regardless of its color to get the cut and fit right.

I think I have pics of mine on my website. Yeah, here:
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/i...acketFront.JPG
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/i...JacketBack.JPG
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/i...JacketSide.JPG

I saw one at ACen that was just a jean jacket with a tiny patch sewed onto the sleeve, but it was one of those jackets with a leather collar. I nearly laughed myself silly. For a costume done up in a pinch and on a budget, I could see using a jean jacket, but even so...the leather collar??
CapsuleCorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:29 PM   #9
Chino-San

lmao oh well some people just dun give a damn. I am going to be Great Saiyaman. But I am not gonna be a ordinary Saiyaman. I'ma be Saiyaman without the turbon. And I can spike my hair up like him ^_^
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
Moogle Hiromi
~†~Iconoclast~†~

I cosplayed as Chichi for ComicFest 2002 in Sydney. I know my costume wasn't very good, but a lot of people like how I portrayed the character. *grins* I want to do another Chichi costume down the track, one that wasn't rushed, and didn't have a small budget. My sewing skills have improved immensly since then, and I also have worked out how to make my hair straight. [which didn't happen with my costume] anyway here is mine:
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers...costumeid=6479

I bet you all could point out the things wrong with it. But alas, I know them all!
*goes back to her Shia costume*
Moogle Hiromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:37 PM   #11
Chino-San

The female dbz cosplayers I do admit are the best ones
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:38 PM   #12
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I actually kinda liked the 2 DragonBall cosplayers I saw at DragonCon last year and got pics of

http://www.icosplay.com/dragoncon/Dsc02226.jpg
http://www.icosplay.com/dragoncon/Dsc02605.jpg

But I am not a big DBZ fan, so I don't know what parts of the outfit might be wrong without reference
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #13
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

do you have any idea how hard it would be to make a super saiya-jin wig outa real wig hair *_____________________*

i work with wigs all the time, and its quite hard to do gravity deffying hairstyles, especially DBZ characters, for a super saiya-jin chibi goten and trunks i used foam and it came out really good, ill see if i can find some pics of my lil bro in them this week.

for the most part, yea..DBZ costumes are some of the easiest to make

EDIT :foudn a pic of him in it, not the best but you can tell that the foam does look ok:
http://www.fansview.com/2001/otakon/0811e035.jpg

Last edited by sailor-moon : 06-01-2003 at 09:42 PM.
sailor-moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #14
Chino-San

Nice costume.........best one i'ves seen as of now...but....scary hair
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:46 PM   #15
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

heres a pic of the chibi Trunks wig:

http://www.itsumademo.net/_misc/bro0.jpg