Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Dragonball Z

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #16
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I've done DBZ cosplay.. but it wasn't a Saiyan character. Though it was an outfit that was hard to get wrong, I'm pretty proud of it.. *points to her gallery* Juuhachi Gou/Cyborg 18/Android 18. ^^

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2003, 09:56 PM   #17
Chino-San
Pwetty Pwetty Crossplayer

Here is my attempts to do adult Gohan's hair. What do you think?

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=44596
Chino-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:59 PM   #18
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Cute and natural looking. ^^

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 10:00 PM   #19
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

OMG Hikaruchan - that first one, I remember that guy. I was there! He was going around in the lobby every evening of DragonCon without a shirt... *drooool* He chased me down when I was in my can-can dress to get a picture taken with me, and I nearly fell over when I saw those muscles pop out of his arms. WOO!

Those are very good-looking costumes, sailor_moon. *applause*

If I didn't need to keep my hair sort of long for most of my other costumes, I'd get it cut to a decent length and try playing with spray and wax. They're doing amazing things with hair products these days, I find the people willing to just spike up their hair more convincing than foam hair (since it's become such a cliche anyway). At least if the rest of the costume works. That second DragonCon pic up there, it's just wrong. Too loose, and the blue is too bright.

(edit because we posted at the same time) Dude! Chino-san! that looks awesome! See, that's what I'm talking about...hair products.

Last edited by CapsuleCorp : 06-01-2003 at 10:03 PM.
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2003, 10:01 PM   #20
Chino-San

Spiking up their hair is way better
Unread 06-02-2003, 12:18 AM   #21
ducky_feet
Oro?

Quote:
Originally posted by sailor-moon
[b]do you have any idea how hard it would be to make a super saiya-jin wig outa real wig hair *_____________________*

i work with wigs all the time, and its quite hard to do gravity deffying hairstyles, especially DBZ characters, for a super saiya-jin chibi goten and trunks i used foam and it came out really good, ill see if i can find some pics of my lil bro in them this week.
Yeah, it's pretty tough to make SSJ hair. The best SSJ hair that I've seen which used real hair, was when someone with long hair flipped their head over, used ultra-hold hairspray to hold the shape and then flipped their head back up. It came out looking pretty good.
Unread 06-02-2003, 04:00 AM   #22
vyrax778
Resident Gun Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by ducky_feet
Yeah, it's pretty tough to make SSJ hair. The best SSJ hair that I've seen which used real hair, was when someone with long hair flipped their head over, used ultra-hold hairspray to hold the shape and then flipped their head back up. It came out looking pretty good.
I saw someone do the same kind of thing but with glue yes GLUE!
He was planning to cut his hair anyway. Wish I had a Picture but it was one of the best DBZ hair Ive seen. the Hair in DBZ is what makes the costumes so dang hard to pull off you either make it out of foam and it looks cheesy or try to spike your hair and it looks just as bad. Only have seen a few that pulled it off well.
vyrax778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 08:01 AM   #23
Chino-San

For some reason everyone thinks the hair is the hardest. I think the boots are the hardest things to get. Its not that hard to do a dbz kind of hair. I do it every day when I go to school. If you want to see the pic check in the link, in the previous post. I advise you just use L.A looks number 9 or 10 thats always works ^_^. To get even a better look go to a barber show (i\I advise a young barber) and request a blow out. That makes the Z look even better. ^_^ SSJ hair is the easiest because its just one way.......Up. The normal hair styles are abit hardest like Goku's which is just impossible to do because of the gravity and all. Vejita's is pretty much like ssj so thats easy as well. Then theirs adult gohan which isn't that hard at all. But it all depends on your type of hair. If oyu have curly hair forget it because it'll never stick up. I have straight chinese hair (no duh maybe because I am? LMAO). Its allot easier to get the hair done. Might I suggest bee's wax?
Unread 06-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #24
number18
cyborg playgirl

I agree that not enough Super Saiyans or saiyans in general are cosplayed...but really, if you don't have the right length hair and some good spiking knowledge, I can imagine the whole thing to be VERY hard. People are having a difficult time it seems just getting Paine's hair from FFX-2 right.

In my Anime Boston 2003 gallery there are a couple of DBZ cosplayers. The Krillin I was with was very good and cute, being a Krillin fan and all. ^_^ I saw two Trunks. One had the purple jacket and one had a jean jacket...I thought both were good. But no saiyans. I have toyed with the idea of trying a Vejita cosplay...when my hair gets a little long, but my hair just still wouldn't be long enough, considering I plan to grow it out to like 5 or 6 inches.

Bee's wax for the hair is a good idea. And speaking of Gohan's hair, there was this Phillipino kid in my HS that cut his hair just like Adult Gohan's, with that one piece spiked down...and then like a week later he had bleached it golden. It was so TOUGH, I instantly had a crush on him. lol. Have any of you seen the ads in Shonen Jump and such for the DBZ games? They have kids with their hair done up like the Saiyans and even in those ads they look pretty bad....but I dont think its supposed to be exact or anything. This all makes me wonder what they're going to do for the DBZ live action movie. But now that I'm thinking about it, I saw a REALLY awesome Japanese Yami Yugi cosplay and the hair was PERFECT...and it wasn't foam. It could have actually been the person's real hair. I guess the real obstacle is just having the right styling products and whatnot.

Anyhoot, yes the costumes are mad easy for the general main characaters. I am under the impression that Juuhachi's (and Juunana) is a little more detailed though. Earrings, boots, belts and she wears a lot of accessories in her other outfits and whatnot. Btw, that's my fave char and I guess what will end up being my "trademark" cosplay (like Aerith does Aerith all the time, ya dig?). I'm reaaaaaly proud of my costume so far, but still there are details lacking that I go into painful detail about in my costume profile thingy. :/

I really think good DBZ cosplay is not done because the more experienced cosplayers like to do challenging or very detailed costumes, and in most ways, the DBZ costumes aren't that. I also am under the impression that somehow people think DBZ cosplay is overdone???? I don't understand how, though, since if anything, it's Final Fantasy cosplay that is overdone (then again there are so many games but still!) Maybe back in Japan in the DBZ hey-day it was overdone, but I think I would have found the cosplay pictures by now if it was in the US...

Oh, and that first Goku cosplayer from DragonCon there totally has my fangirl <3. The costume is really good and his arms are all diesel! <3.<3!

edit: oh and here is a link to that ridiculously good yugioh cosplay. Since it's frames, I can't link right to the page, so just click around.

http://www1.linkclub.or.jp/~westend/...i_cosplay.html

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

Last edited by number18 : 06-02-2003 at 12:31 PM.
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 06:34 PM   #25
Chino-San

DBZ cosplays are not overdone, thats crap so people can not cosplay them. I do agree with the fact that FF cosplays are over done especially FF10 cosplays. I rarely see dbz cosplayers. Maybe I should have my peice of my hair spiked down always ^_~. Think you wold have a crush on me? (J/k). I say if you don't have the hair style right save yourself the trouble and don't do it. Because the hair is what makes a dbz cosplay , a dbz cosplay. I was thinking of bleaching it gold ^_^
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:48 PM   #26
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oo hi number18!! Fellow Krillin fan? WAHOO! There's a guy I LARPed with this spring, his friends and I are trying to dress him as Krillin...there was one at ACen but he was way too tall. LOL!

Quote:
Originally posted by number18
[b]...But no saiyans. I have toyed with the idea of trying a Vejita cosplay...when my hair gets a little long, but my hair just still wouldn't be long enough, considering I plan to grow it out to like 5 or 6 inches.
I thought about that, too, especially with getting saiyan armor this winter, but then the guys working on the project with me pointed out a female saiyan from the Bardock movie. So, since there's only really one guy in the bunch who'll remotely pass for Vegeta, the rest of us are just going to be generic saiyans and I'll be the lone token female.

I don't try to get my hair to do what Goku's does, it's practically impossible. I keep my hair longish for all my other costumes (Jedi, Moulin Rouge, etc) or else I'd get it shorter and styled so I can do my Hiei costume and DBZ stuff properly.

Quote:
But now that I'm thinking about it, I saw a REALLY awesome Japanese Yami Yugi cosplay and the hair was PERFECT...and it wasn't foam. It could have actually been the person's real hair. I guess the real obstacle is just having the right styling products and whatnot.
OH DUDE!!! I can't get anything on that site to load - can you right-click on the picture and get its Properties, so you can just directly link to the JPG? I wanna see that!!!!

I agree, though, that DBZ cosplay is not overdone, at least not currently. If it was in the past, it's sort of died down a little, meaning those of us who still want to do it can do it right and people will notice. My only problem is that I'm not male, and while I do work out, I can't quite do the muscly thing. So, I can't really pass for a main character. But there is enough variety in characters that there's plenty I can and will do. If it's a challenge the veteran cosplayers want, I dare them to do a GOOD Piccolo, with the armored cape, or Supreme Kai (my dream project, I have the earrings), or any of the other non-human, non-saiyan characters. Heck, I'd like to see a good Bulma one of these days. I think the blame for lack of quality DBZ cosplay, though, is because the quality cosplayers are anime elitists and look down on DBZ as if it's something common and not worth their time just because it's so universally popular. You know, all those little pre-teen boys like it, therefore it's SO beneath them. It's not that there's no challenge or detail in it, you just have to look hard for it.

That, and apart from Bulma, there aren't any sexy female costumes showing lots of cleavage that they can do. 18 and Chi-Chi are usually pretty conservatively-dressed. It seems to me just from a handful of sites devoted to con pictures that girls in cute dresses get the most attention. Sigh.
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:52 PM   #27
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

Well chino, let's see you make a golden super saiya-jin wig before you dis everyone else. Wow, you can spike your already black hair straight up, what skills. I don't like your attitude with your posts here, so please try to be a little more aware of other people's opinions and stop calling other people bad cosplayers with no good reasons.
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #28
Chino-San

Doing a random saiyan would be awesome i would love to see that! I do not know why they shun the animes in which made them into anime fans. They should be grateful! Piccallo would be pretty hard to pull off. I mean if someone can do a awesome piccolo without the mask then I will give him allot of credit for that.
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:56 PM   #29
Chino-San

Quote:
Originally posted by Maryssa
Well chino, let's see you make a golden super saiya-jin wig before you dis everyone else. Wow, you can spike your already black hair straight up, what skills. I don't like your attitude with your posts here, so please try to be a little more aware of other people's opinions and stop calling other people bad cosplayers with no good reasons.

I am sorry if I do offend anyone. But I really do not mean to call anyone a bad cosplayer. I am just pointing out the flaws dbz cosplaying in general. I am sorry to all if I do offend anyone. And if it helps I will try to spike up a saiyan style. Please do forgive me for acting like a jerk. I am just expressing my opinion. But I do offend anyone I am deeply sorry for my actions.

BTW thank you Maryssa for pointing that out to me ^_^ *huggles*
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:56 PM   #30
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Well, I am going to do Dende for DragonCon, that's one step toward Piccolo. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.