Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Dragonball Z

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-02-2003, 07:58 PM   #31
Chino-San
Pwetty Pwetty Crossplayer

I wonder how can people make the green skin affect? I really would like to see this costume so please keep me posted.
Chino-San is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2003, 08:04 PM   #32
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Well, I'm going to do the arms/body a certain way that I don't want to spill just yet, it's a secret. But the face, etc, easy! I'm going to get a bald cap and elf ear-tips, paint them green, and cover the rest with green theatrical makeup. I have a nice setup for makeup already thanks to my Star Wars costuming, I know what I'm doing. And I'm going to get teeth, too. The only thing I'm iffy on yet is the antennae, but I think I'm going to worry about that last. Everything else comes first.
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #33
Chino-San

OMG just by hearing you speak about it sounds awesome. Please be in my group!
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #34
number18
cyborg playgirl

As for the green Piccolo skin, I saw a girl's cosplay on this site of an original character and I believe she used liquid latex for the skin. I also believe that Ashley Rice (a cosplayer on the forum) used green liquid latex on her hands for her Vampire Hunter D cosplay (of the tree demon thingy lady...dryad?). In high school, when I first wore my crappy #18 costume for the first time, my somewhat-friend and fellow DBZ fan (we had our own little DBZ club, called DBZ club cause they wouldnt let us have a straight-up anime club for some reason) made a Piccolo costume and it was AWESOME. Like...it was REALLY good. He used basic body paint, I guess. He painted himself green, had the pink parts on his arm, with the lines, had the actual outfit done pretty damn good (no heavy armor but really well worked cloth), the turban, the pointed ears, and he even had pointed press-on nails for his claws! It was soooo badass. When we went on stage for hte Halloween show, only he got recognized though cause the Cyborg/Cell saga wasn't dubbed yet.

ANYHOOT, yes I have a feeling a lot of the more experienced cosplayers, I guess, don't think DBZ is any good, for similar reasons you mentioned, CapsuleCorp. The whole thing about there not being any outright pretty female characters is another thing. They really aren't that pretty the way they're drawn and all, but =shrug=. I mean, I said it before, Number 18 is described as a pretty/cute girl when Trunks describes her, but she doesn't really look it. People are entitled to their opinions though, and like I said previously, most experienced cosplayers seem to like doing challenging costumes, and the DBZ ones aren't that detailed, really, compared to a Final Fantasy costume or something.

Maryssa, you're pretty damn rude sometimes for a moderator. No need for the put-downs...

Anyways, yeah, in the Bardock special, not only is there the short-haired female saiyan, Celipa (who I'm now considering cosplaying for no good reason), in his team, but there is a saiyan woman in the background (when Bardock tries to tell them Freeza's true plan) with like, curlyish, turquoise hair. Apparently the women might be a little different in regards to hair textures?

Heh, I've thought about Saiyan hair for quite some time, actually. If you REALLY think about it and think about the hair textures humans have, saiyan hair must be REALLY nappy/wirey for it to stick up like that with no styling. And they must not have too many strands of hair either. I mean, the individual strands must be really thick if they were going to have the right physical structure to stand up like wire. I bet, if someone was willing to put in the time, that they could hand-make a saiyan wig out of actual wire or something. I dunno. There just has to be a way to make perfect saiyan hair.

And that ends my rantingness for now. Btw, there is a sweet Kaioh shin cosplayer in my AB03 gallery. ^_^ Since people were talking about it all. No purple skin or mohawk, but that's understandable. It was a totally sweet outfit.

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:39 PM   #35
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m

I'm firm when I have to be, like when people refuse to listen. Which is often. Plus I was the same way before I was ever a moderator, so I don't really care. He seemed to understand what I was saying, and apologized nicely. So it really is not relevant to you. Back on topic please.
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2003, 08:04 PM   #36
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Great pics, number18! I think that guy is more Mystic Gohan than Supreme Kai, but the outfit does look pretty cool. (It's the sash that's a giveaway - Kai's sash doesn't fall below the knot in the front, Gohan's and Kibito's do) YOU make an excellent 18.

I got a tip from the costume panel at ACen about gravity-defying hair. If you're using a wig, be it synthetic or human hair, screw styling products and just go for shellac or glues. If you're going to turn it into one permanent style, that is. I could see investing in a decent wig and permanently styling in saiyan hair (normal or SSJ). Shellac that sucker up, it won't ever come down! If I go for a Supreme Kai wig in the future, that's what I'm going to have to do.

In order to get more quality DBZ cosplayers, we have to get the experienced folk to see the costumes for what they are, not for what they aren't. So they aren't detailed - that doesn't mean you can't screw it up. We've all seen that personally! Even a "simple" costume has a right way and a wrong way to do it, and it takes someone really into the character and wanting a quality costume to do it right. I mean, I've seen it in all kinds of cosplay now, not just DBZ - details large and small are omitted, and I wonder "Do you even *watch* the anime you're cosplaying?" For example, I've seen all of maybe two episodes of Cowboy Bebop, yet even I was able to notice the difference between well-done Spike Spegels and poorly-done ones. The good ones had every detail right, down to the two blue bars on the front of Spike's jacket. How could anyone miss them, they're obvious! But some people did! There are details like that on DBZ costumes of all kinds, such that any cosplayer wanting a challenge could spend a little time researching and end up with a costume that looks so much better than all the others out there. What I always tell people when I run costume panels at DragonCon and stuff is this: it's not about how complicated the costume is, it's whether you cared enough to look at the details and get those right. It's not about how much you spend on the fabric or how many hours it takes to put the thing together, it's about whether you put in the research to get a costume that looks like it walked off the screen or the page.

Chino-san, let me get the costume finished, then you can decide if you want me in any cosplay groups.
Unread 06-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #37
Chino-San

You guys really have a good point their. As for the Saiyan hair I think its more like they have too much hair on their scalps. Using glue would most definitely work. I would suggest that myself.
I have but one question. How do people get the Z boots? Their so pointy! How people make those shoes? Or atleast find them?
Unread 06-04-2003, 06:55 PM   #38
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

That's a good question. I got some tips from a Videl cosplayer at ACen I might try out, using the soles taken off bedroom slippers. You'd have to scratch-build them, but they're mostly soft boots, so stitching a pair can't be too tough.

now, a set of leather boots like Vegeta's...that might be tougher.
Unread 06-04-2003, 06:58 PM   #39
Chino-San

The saiyan boots are alittle bit harder. The ones I am trying to look for are Great Saiyaman boots. (Why are these z shoes so hard to find or make!)
Unread 06-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #40
number18
cyborg playgirl

Well, I've seen people simply make fabric slip-covers for shoes (for other characters) and use elastic at the bottom so the elastic part is on the bottom of your shoe, holding everything in place.

To make the pointy ends usng the slip-cover method, just sew a point and stuff it with some fluff or something. =shrug= Or you could try modifying cowboy boots or some pointed flats (women's shoes with no high heel on it).

As for the guy doing Mystic Gohan...I never thought of that, but when I finally realized who he might be and I blurted out "Kaioh shin" he answered to that...so I'mthinking maybe he is supposed to be the Kaiohshin/Kibito fusion?

-shrug-

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2003, 11:30 PM   #41
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I thought of that, too, after I posted. Kibitoshin! I like Mystic Gohan's color scheme better, though. I look better in blues.

(btw I finally got that Yami Yuugi site to work for me - OMG!!! I am so impressed! I nearly fell on the floor...holy crap! Now that's what I call a level of quality and accuracy to aspire to...)

ahem, anyway. The thing about shoe covers, I've learned the hard way, is that to keep them from looking stupid, you have to tailor them carefully to fit the shoe's shape. It's a lot of work, more trial and error than anything else. Fortunately, I've gotten around it so far with my Goku gi by making the Dragonball version, when he and Krillin and everybody just wore blue flats. And I happened to have a pair of blue flats in my closet I wasn't wearing. But all this talk about the boots makes me want to go to Goodwill, find a pair of house-slippers, and try making some from scratch. Not that I don't already have enough to sew!
Unread 06-08-2003, 02:49 AM   #42
Chino-San

BTW Great Saiyaman wears black spandex right? Like Under Armour?
Unread 06-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #43
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Yes...it's black.

For all the talk of armor earlier in the Thread, here's a great link sent to me by a fellow Legend of Zelda cosplayer:

http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

It has insturction for making sayain armor. If you want the version with shoulder pads, you can probably figure out how to put them on, but they're not included. *Plans to use them to make herself some sayain armor for a Trunks costume.*

Check out Pikimlink's gallery to see the spectacular job she did on her Fierce Diety Link armor. (search 'Oni Link' if I got the name wrong...)

In responce to all the hair issues that have been posted, here's an answer. For the wig we had made for my little brother's Yugi Moto wig, the hair stylist used 'Bondage' hair glue/gel. I'm not sure of the full name, but I know it had bondage in it. After putting in the stuff, apply heat with a hair dryer until it's hard. Here's the results:

http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/az2...003-0148.shtml
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/az2...003-0149.shtml

(yes, I know I neglected to paint the edges of the wig red, but my lil bro didn't care and I never bought the paint)

Oh, and males, here's a suggestion: If you want to have the smooth, unnoticible look for your crotch area like in the show (so that you're wearing of spandex would end up being a 'tell all' so to speak), You might want to look into buying something called a dance belt. You can acquire it at any dance shop. I remember I was at Otakon 2001 and a Knives cosplayer had neglected to use this little trick and you could see EVERYTHING. And it looked kinda bad too... Just thought I'd share that little bit of knowlegde.

>^.^<

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page

Last edited by kdthompson : 06-08-2003 at 07:21 PM.
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 07:50 PM   #44
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

LOL...I know, I'm going to need to instruct the guys in the saiyan armor project about that when we get the Lycra bodysuits done. It'll look fine on me, but on them...yeesh.

That's a really interesting link, the saiyan armor, thanks Dar-Dar. A very simple and quick way of doing it, and having it not turn out crappy. The project I'm involved with is being done by a bunch of uber-hardcore prop enthusiasts, so we're going to end up with sculpted foam latex armor. Much higher-end, and much more expensive. You can't do that in your basement! But I've offered to stitch vinyl saiyan armor to people in the past. I'm not much of a prop builder but I can sew like crazy.
Unread 06-08-2003, 11:17 PM   #45
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Here's another 'build in your basement' armor method:

1) build the basic shape using cardboard and papermashe

2) put all the finishing details on the armor.

3) BEFORE painting, coat outside of armor with fiber glass ressin. You'll need about 3 - 5 coats for it to be good and sturdy

4) Prime and paint the sucker.

5) Enjoy; you are now ready to take on the world in your new saiyan armor.

This method also works great for props as well.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you want to make a Trunks jacket from scratch and want it to be purple leather but can find/afford it, here's another trick:

1) get industral grade felt, wood glue, and purple paint (I don't remember the exsact time, but I'd think you'd need acrylic for something like this).

2) Mix the wood glue and paint equally.

3) after you've sewn together the jacket out of the felt (or, if you want, do this first and after it dries you can sew it together), put it on a dressmaker's dummy or a form of some kind and paint on the glue/paint mixture until you have the desired leather look you want. It'll end up being really thick when you're done.

4) after it's dry, enjoy.

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page

Last edited by kdthompson : 06-08-2003 at 11:47 PM.
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote