Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Dragonball Z

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-09-2003, 02:14 AM   #46
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

ohohoohohohoooo!!! At Dragon*Con 02, there was an AMAZING Goku. Like, I was STUNNED. His gi had the perfect baggyness, the shoes and ankle/wrist bands were correct, his name was embroidered beautifully on the back, and to top it all off, HE USED HIS REAL HAIR AS SUPER SAIYA-JIN HAIR! Omg I flipped. Plus, he was buff, but not too buff, juuuust right. I had a pic of him but all my DC pics got deleted, so yeah, if I find a pic I'll post it. HE ROCKED!

*edit* here is one kinda bad pic. hes on the right.
http://www.scifidimensions.com/Sep02...ragonballz.jpg

Last edited by cutekawaii : 06-09-2003 at 02:23 AM.
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #47
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Oh...I know I missed all the talk of green skin, but I want to update my Piccolo costume. I'll look into the latex and threater make up at some point. Besides, I'll need it for when I make my Zarbon costume. *already has the leg/arm warmers; thinks it's funny that she's had them since kindergarden* But what about antenne? I used pipecleaners the first time and they were ok....do you know where I could possibly get prosthetic ones?

I also haven't seen ears that look like his. I've seen different styles of elf ears but not his weird, chucky ones. Any suggestions?

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page
kdthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #48
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I'm going with just ear tips for Dende, I've used them often enough for Lord of the Rings stuff that I prefer them to giant ears. I've got a pair of smaller tips for elf ears but I have seen slightly larger tips - I think called "alien" tips, actually - that would work for Nameks. We've got some great theatrical-makeup stores here in town, I love browsing there and letting my mind wander to projects.

The antennae are last on my list of things to worry about. I was thinking about using a lightweight wire, like floral wire, and covering it with the same fabric I'm using for my Namek muscle-shirt, but I don't know how to attach it to the bald cap without doing damage to the cap. I know some prop guys who've worked with gelatin and latex prosthetics, I'll try to get ideas from them. But I'm NOT using makeup for my arms or hands, I have something else up my sleeve. (pun intended)

A Zarbon costume would rock! I always did think he was cool for a bad guy...a bit of a bishy.

cutekawaii - that was the Goku we were talking about earlier! I hope he's there this year. Maybe all of us who are going to DragonCon should meet up at some point, especially if we're cosplaying.
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2003, 11:57 PM   #49
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Thanks...I think the only thing I'm going to have major issues with is the hair and the ear rings...

I've done enough crossplay to pull off the body (minus some of the muscles ^.^;;)

Maybe I can get some of this Saiyan armor done over the summer...hopefully...*sweatdrop*

Check out my My Web Page and My dA Page

Last edited by kdthompson : 01-08-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Unread 06-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #50
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I may be able to help you with the earrings - the way they're drawn makes them out to be pretty much identical to the Kai's Fusion earrings, and I've already made several pairs of those (two for myself, sold the rest). Zarbon's are silver, though, I think. I have a pic of him somewhere.

Now, I just have to find some TIME to do all these sewing delusions of grandeur...
Unread 06-11-2003, 09:36 PM   #51
number18
cyborg playgirl

lol - sewing delusions of granduer.

Yeah, I am still convinced that I will be making my rpg version of Juuhachi's uniform, along with my boyfriend's rpg uniform to boot...and my boyfriend rp's a saiyan char named Gokou, but much more like Turles or Bardock...his name is Gokou but he's a saiyan emperor....it's a whole other universe from DBZ, I guess...people can't picture a "mean" Gokou if I try to tell it to them in so many words...but yeah

the uniforms are kickass! >D But...beh, pretty complicated for me, who is such a novice...

I would love to see some people cosplay to other Red Ribbon Army jinzouningen...like a 16 or #13 or 14, but those are all kinda big guys and #16's costume is crazy...I would say more complicated than Piccolo or Zarbon.

Zarbon. ;D

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 09:00 PM   #52
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I have yet to see the Androids saga, so I can't comment on the do-ability of the costumes. It would be neat to get a whole group together, though! Especially some more bad guys.

I did chat with someone who thought about doing a muscle suit to be Super Buu, but he backed out after he realized the work it would be. I would bow down and worship anyone who could pull that off! It would be so cool!
Unread 06-12-2003, 09:08 PM   #53
number18
cyborg playgirl

I've seen a good couple of thin buus. There's a few pics floating around this website, in fact. I think somebody did his costume out of paper mache or something....either way, it was badass. Buu is hard, since he's all shirtless and pink...well, not hard, just ...tricky.

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
Unread 06-13-2003, 10:17 AM   #54
Chino-San
Pwetty Pwetty Crossplayer

Thank you Dar-Dar your post are very useful to me ^_^. Oh yeah I'm for sure going to wear undies so it doesn't pop out much. Also good thing saiyamans tunic covers his crotch. Resin is a liquid mix right?
Chino-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 03:24 PM   #55
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I've never worked with resin - like, casting resin? It starts out liquid and has to harden and cure, from what I know. Don't know much about the fiberglass resin Dar-Dar was talking about... I'd guess it's the same principle, though.

The thing we debated long with the saiyan armor project was whether the armor was hard or soft. That's why we went with foam latex in the end - we're told right out during the Namek saga that the armor is flexible, Vegeta has to instruct Krillin and Gohan how to put it on. And considering the types of movements they do while fighting, you'd want it to be flexible! A lot of the guys were talking about vac-forming ABS plastic for hard panels, but then we thought about it and have decided to go with something more flexible and less heavy to have to wear around. I know what stormtroopers deal with going around with armor on all day.
Unread 06-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #56
Chino-San

What i don't understand it the whole putting it togeather thing. Like on the site that you guys recently posted it explained how to put the armor on i beleive. But exactly how do you do it. Can someone explain to me what the hell foamies are? I read it on the site and still do no understand it. How did the sheet of styrene didn't pop out. I mean it was only tabled togeather by 2 halfs. I don't understand someone please explain it to me!
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:36 AM   #57
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I know what Foamies are but it's hard to explain. It's something you find in craft stores, particularly in the aisles with kids' crafts and such. I know I bought some at Hobby Lobby to use for cutting stamps to stamp-paint on fabric. It's basically a little sheet of thin foam, kinda squishy, that you can cut into shapes and do a lot of neat stuff with.

The Videl I met at ACen used foamies for the boot part of her bf Gohan's white Saiyaman boots. I didn't even realize it was foam and not fabric or leather until I touched it.
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #58
Chino-San

Any word on the styrene? I am very puzzled on that
Unread 06-17-2003, 01:58 PM   #59
number18
cyborg playgirl

Oooh you guys are doing saiyan armor. Are you just doing the vest armor? Because I'm interested in eventually constructing the full she-bang with the shoulder, thigh and crotch guards...since my boyfriend's character wears that. Then again, he told me the other day that his char wears the vest armor and normal jumpsuit when there's no type of ceremony or war-time going on...and I wasl ike huh? I thought he wore the full thing all the time. =shrug= Guess I never paid attention or something.

And hell yeah the armor is flexible....apparently enough that it can grow with a saiyan when he goes oozaru. 0,0!

How flexible is foam latex exactly? I keep picturing it like it will break off like a typical piece of white foam sheet or something. O,o; Could you ever like....make an armor mold to pour in latex? I mean, how expensive is that? Can you melt down latex? Cause if so, you could just buy a bunch of dildoes (LOL!!!) and melt those down if that was cheaper. lol...

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
Unread 06-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #60
kdthompson
Will Work for Cosplay

Gomen nasai everyone...I've been at a friend's house the last 4 days and I haven't had a chance go check any of my boards. THe 'resin' I'm talking about is a liqued...it's normally used to make car repairs, but I know my mom found it for me at home depot.

The armor I told everyone about is most definately not flexible. So if you want it to be perfectly authentic, that isn't it....however It looks awesome and looks exsactly like the stuff from the show and heck...I'd actually fight in the stuff.

Ano...number18....*giggles* considering dildos generally run from 20ish bucks and up....I personlly don't think it's cheaper...lol...and I heard that liquid latex has a habit of flaking off... I don't know if that's true or not because I've never used the stuff...but that's what I heard...

PS - The styrene...well...On the site that I gave earlier in the thread ....if the problem isn't the fact that you need a curling iron or somehting to form the thing, you don't have the heavy duty claspsm or that you have something to form it around , I don't know...I apologize for not beling able to be more help considering I'm the one that posted the site, but I've never made the stuff...the person that owns the site it a member of cosplay.com and has a thread about armor making somewhere around her....find her or the thread and you should get some major help...

Last edited by kdthompson : 06-17-2003 at 03:16 PM.