Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
hinata-hime

Greek!!!

Alright, I am penciling the design right now, but I was just wondering, has anyone ever thought of a greek/toga style lolita dress, I mean, with the golden lace-up flats and curled hair, it would work, and the funny gold ribbons on the top of the head?

I can scan in the dress design, but I just had the thought and wanted to knwo what people thought of it. I know, this is the next in my 'foreign' set, because awhile ago I also asked about some green irish-dancer designs because of the project. [yes that twas me/ It was aVERY long time ago..] But so, what do you think. I was thinking, long sleeves, but slitted on the outside seam and clipped together with a small clip and maybe a bell skirt??

I'll scan the design in as soon as possible, but for now, what do you think?
hinata-hime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Crimson Firefly
Paku Romi Wannabe

Sounds interesting! The key to greek style is draping fabric, which can look quite elegant if done right. Though I'm having a bit of trouble imagining a bell skirt... since greek costumes very rarely had defined waists.

Ayanami Rei [Evangelion]
Kuma [Persona 4]
Sheila (update) [Mahou Shoujotai Arusu]

Crimson Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
StolenPromise
The Little Evil Moogle

Oooh! That would be neat.
StolenPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
divine_fanaticy

i'm having the same issue with the skirt, but i think the hair would be workable with this. i see it golden blonde and curled in ringlets in high pigtails. even better, make the gold sandals platform. sounds really neat. ^_^
divine_fanaticy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
hinata-hime

well, what I meant was, not quite bell shaped, but lower case kind of 'n' shaped.. but fluffy, If its sewn at the sides so it looks like a long flowy-bell dress, but then bunched at the sides and claspedit would have sort of upside down umbrella shaped drapes on the skirt, and sewing it widening at the bottem, then you could make it puffy with like a petticoat underneath..

The golden sandals are gonna take alot of hard work, but I htink I can figure them out.. and the hair.. well I am just going to have to go blande, [I happen to have really dark brown hair, with a slight red tint, but I can manage a temp blonde, I can't wear wigs though , long story I just can't...] .. I'll try to scan as soon as our scannner stops SCREAMING at me.. but, thanks for the suggestions..
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
divine_fanaticy

the skirt sounds lovely. ^_^
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
StrawberryNinja
Happy Sunshine Evil

The idea sounds great. Good to see someone else wanting to venture into foreign styles *wants to do an Indian sari style loli*. Sorry I can't give you any suggestions, but I wish you luck in this. ^^

Cosplays I'm Working On:
Bianchi - Katekyo Hitman Reborn (Naka-kon 2014 and ACen 2014)
Halloween 2011 Turkey - Hetalia (Naka-kon 2014)
Wooper gijinka and/or kigurumi- Pokemon (ACen 2014 maybe)
Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (ACen 2014 maybe)
Chocolove - Shaman King (ACen 2014 or Anime Midwest 2014 maybe)
StrawberryNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinata-hime View Post
Alright, I am penciling the design right now, but I was just wondering, has anyone ever thought of a greek/toga style lolita dress, I mean, with the golden lace-up flats and curled hair, it would work, and the funny gold ribbons on the top of the head?

I can scan in the dress design, but I just had the thought and wanted to knwo what people thought of it. I know, this is the next in my 'foreign' set, because awhile ago I also asked about some green irish-dancer designs because of the project. [yes that twas me/ It was aVERY long time ago..] But so, what do you think. I was thinking, long sleeves, but slitted on the outside seam and clipped together with a small clip and maybe a bell skirt??

I'll scan the design in as soon as possible, but for now, what do you think?
How are you going to do the skirt I am curious greek outfits don't have defined waists. Not saying you can't do it but I am rather curious.

Last edited by Petiteprincess1 : 12-10-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Fireheart Storm
Tommyknockers

Can I put in my penny?
Greek styles for women didn't have defined waists like Victorian clothing, BUT if you think about it, neither did the Kimono, the waist was defined by the VERY wide obi. You could use some gold cording tied a bit tighter around the waist then in normal greek clothing to define the waist and have cute tassles on the ends of it!
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
divine_fanaticy

that's what i thought of too.
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Raenef

hinata-hime: where'd you go? I was looking forward to seeing it... ^^;;
Raenef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Feawen
aka fuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinata-hime View Post
well, what I meant was, not quite bell shaped, but lower case kind of 'n' shaped.. but fluffy, If its sewn at the sides so it looks like a long flowy-bell dress, but then bunched at the sides and claspedit would have sort of upside down umbrella shaped drapes on the skirt, and sewing it widening at the bottem, then you could make it puffy with like a petticoat underneath..

The golden sandals are gonna take alot of hard work, but I htink I can figure them out.. and the hair.. well I am just going to have to go blande, [I happen to have really dark brown hair, with a slight red tint, but I can manage a temp blonde, I can't wear wigs though , long story I just can't...] .. I'll try to scan as soon as our scannner stops SCREAMING at me.. but, thanks for the suggestions..
I think darker hair would be better for this outfit. Greeks tend to have dark hair, and the classic images of greek women have darker hair. It would be quite easy to replicate a greek style, most seem to be an artful arrangement of curls, and then add some gold details like ribbons to match the sandals.

Check out all of my costumes at my website http://www.TeamFuu.com!

Also feel free to like my fanpage on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tea...31143596923241
Feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
hinata-hime

I lurv you guys.. *ish sobbing* no really. sorry.. that was random.

aannnyywaaayyzz.. here you go! my dog was hyper while I was drawing so he kept bumping me.. sorry..

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawings002.jpg

Okay I should explain the skirt thing. I am going to sew the skirt like a ball gown, really long and slowly widening, because then I can pull it up, sew peices and put the gold clips, then it would be like the baggy and drape-ish like greek style. uhm, yea.. so that explains it, also, flats or plaforms?... or like inbetween?..

Feawen- thanks you! I always see pictures with like dark brown or red, and that would work perfectly so.. I want to not have to die my hair for acen. yea.. YAY!!

P.s. sorry for disappearing, I had Semester FINALS... AAHHHHHHHHHH.. ugh... just hearing that makes my head hurt... SEMESTER FINALS SEMESTER FINALS SEMESTER FINALS.. AHHH I've made myself cry.. oh the headache.. oh gosh.. sorry..
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
Elenoa
Funny Bunny

Omg I really like the design of that! It looks really promising and I can't wait to see you make it!

ps you're going to ACen 08? I look forward to seeing your greek loli then! X3
Elenoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
Raenef

that does look promising!
Promise to post photos when you're done!

Hope you did well on your finals~ ^w^/
Raenef is offline   Reply With Quote