Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Eva Yui
OMGWTFBBQ

Your choice eyeshadow?

What brand do most of you use? I'm experimenting but I don't find any that seem to go on nicely. It either vanishes far too quickly or won't appear much at all when I apply. I'm fair skinned so it's not that my coloring prevents the hues from coming out.

My deviantart

Next stop!: Katsucon
Current cosplay(s):
Rei Ayanami [school-girl ver.] (100%)
Rena Lanford //Star Ocean: The Second Story (100%)
Upcoming cosplay(s):
Medusa Gorgon // Soul Eater (90%)

Eva Yui is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
caelanarcher
Interfacer

I've had great success with Maybelline New York. They make a really nice 4-color compact that's even labelled as a quick guide for where to apply each color (brow bone, crease, lid, and outer edge). Also, if you find that your eyeshadow is wearing off quickly, make sure you apply a little bit of foundation to your eyelid. It evens out the skintone, and makes the shadow stick a little better.

Now, if you're looking for bolder colors for cosplay, try a shadow/liner pencil. I know Avon makes (or made) one in a bunch of shimmery, bright colors, and they lasted pretty long for me. Since they're kind of a gel-solid, they're much more opaque, and won't fade out over the course of a con.

Last edited by caelanarcher : 12-10-2007 at 12:48 PM.
caelanarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
agent_airline

My absolute favorite is fyrinnae.com. Its mineral makeup, and they have hundreds of colors from super bright to metallic to naturals. I use it with a wet brush to get the most potent color from it, and it stays all day nicely. The quality is amazing for the price (and you can order small samples of anything you want for about $1 each). They are really blendable and smooth.

As far as things you can buy from a store, I use Makeup Forever (at Sephora), Laremin (at Whole Foods), Urban Decay, and MAC. I prefer loose powder for versatility.
Either use a wet brush to apply, or apply dry over a creme liner or eyeshadow base.
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
KaoruKamiya
May all your bacon burn

I use either MAC www.maccosmetics.com or MAX factor, Tropez, or other drug store brand. But MAC has to be my favorite ^^
  4. Hinata
  5. Gothic Lolita
KaoruKamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf

personally I find there is too much oil in MAC which makes me break out. I use BedHead cosmetics, which are a bit more pricey but worth every penny.
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

For eye makeup, Urban Decay owns my soul. (OMG, their 24/7 eye pencils. I will never use another eyeliner unless I need a weird color that those do not come in.) MAC is good too.
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I'm using a lot of MAC right now. More high-quality shadows contain more pigment, which will give you brighter colours, but the REAL secret is to use a base. This can be as simple as putting foundation/concealer on your lids before the shadow; it gives the shadow something to stick to and keeps it from fading so quickly. A good base really makes all the difference and will make your shadow last for hours.

I usually use MAC paints as a base, but Urban Decay Primer Potion is one of the best eyeshadow primers/bases and everybody I've talked to swears by it.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Eva Yui
OMGWTFBBQ

Thanks so much for all the tips. The primer is a great simple idea. After the holidays I'm tempted to splurge on Decay but for now I may just try primer+maybelline or ohh pretty fyrinnae shades.

What about application? I use the basic of basic when applying my daily makeup so I only have a vague idea of eyeshadow. I use the darker shades on the crease and lighter on the lids, right? What if I just use one color?

My deviantart

Current cosplay(s):
Upcoming cosplay(s):

Last edited by Eva Yui : 12-11-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Shelke
~ ~ ~ ~

i normally stick to maybelline or covergirl. however, if I want intense color that's hard to accomplish with regular brand makeups, i do my shopping at Hot Topic. They offer various amounts of makeup color and when they're applied to your skin they come out very bright. However, purchase a make up remover, because soap and water doesnt always take all of it off. (trust me, my eye was pink for 2 days because of hot topic's pink eyeshadow.)

if you're going for a natural look, which you seem to have to because of tifa lockhart an larxene (your signature)... the darker color goes in the crease, called the "shadow" of your eyes... which you said you do... so you're set

if you use one color? depends on why and where and how. hahah.
If you want a natural look, NEVER use one color. its a big no no.
Yami Bakura

~~~
we're walking in the air
we're floating in the moonlit sky..
Shelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

The most standard application is to have a medium shade on the lid, a darker shade in the crease, and a highlight shade under the brow and the inside corner of the eye.

There are lots of other styles you can try, though - some people use two or more shades on the lid itself.

For some really interesting and inspiring looks: http://limecrime.net (click on the strawberry in the top left corner, then "Makeup Tutorials"

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
Eva Yui
OMGWTFBBQ

I just wanted post one last thing- to thank you both again and everyone else. I appreciate your expertise.

My deviantart

Current cosplay(s):
Upcoming cosplay(s):

Unread 12-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
KurzesHaar
Nemo nisi mors

My favorite eyeshadow brands are Urban Decay, Lorac, Smashbox, and Too Faced

Urban Decay has many sparkley, bright colored shadows, so I wouldn't recommend them for cosplay usually, the shadows sometimes tend to get caught in the crease of your eye, so a shadow primer is usually needed (urband decay happens to have their own shadow primer that works well though)

Lorac has many matte colors, as well as some shimmery ones. They're very nice quality and require minimal reapplication

Smashbox has some great 4 or 5 color palettes, which are great for giving more depth to the eye with multiple colors. Its also more cost effective.

Too Faced has duo shadows with two colors that compliment each other. They have some bright colors, and some more natural shades. I highly recommend them =)
Unread 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

My favourite that I stick by has to be Body Shop eyeshadow, they usually come in fairly natural/regular colours with matching eyeliner colours but will also show up really well, and they also have a shimmery line last time I checked. I usually wear black eyeshadow, or a shade they have called damson (it's kind of a light reddish purple, for when I need it to be more natural than black) and they work great on my eyes ^_^ (they're a silver-hazel and have a fairly Asiatic slant to them). A bonus too, is that if you go into the Body Shop stores the staff there can usually help you pick the best shades for your skin and eyes.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Patches
she killed a man

MAC is great, but expensive >.> I've found that Milani brand is teh awesome and you can get it at drugstore prices. Their eyeshadows have a very high pigment payoff.
Unread 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

i like covergirl for normal and natural colors and hip for crazy colors. i also have been known on occasion to wear eyesmudge. that's how i did my awesome recreation of hayley williams's eye make up in the misery business video. it was pretty awesome.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote