Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
calen383
mendacity to the max
 
calen383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,729
Wig + Skin = Apparently bad

I wanted to find out if anyone else had experienced something that I did for the second time this past weekend. After wearing a wig for a very long period of time (probably from about 8am-12:30am), it created sores on my forehead where the edge of the wig hugged my head. This later turned into a group of little pimples that hurt like crazy. They are pretty easy to get rid of after a few days, and my bangs cover them up during that time, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I wonder what causes it...perhaps the oils are rubbed into the pores all day? I have rather oily skin on my forehead...*shrug*

Thoughts?
__________________
Costumes Planned for 2011:
Red Fem!Pyro - Team Fortress 2 - 60% Done
Isabella (Redux) - Paradise Kiss - 60% Done
Cons planned: Otakon 11 - NYCC 11 - AnimeBoston 12
calen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf
 
Enk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,290
are you wearing a wig cap under your wig?
__________________
http://climate.weather.com/
Enk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
calen383
mendacity to the max
 
calen383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,729
The first time, yes, the second time, no. I just couldn't find it. Perhaps it is because my wig cap tends to slide back by the end of the day and I have a rather high forehead. So the wig still sits on my forehead most of the time.
__________________
Costumes Planned for 2011:
Red Fem!Pyro - Team Fortress 2 - 60% Done
Isabella (Redux) - Paradise Kiss - 60% Done
Cons planned: Otakon 11 - NYCC 11 - AnimeBoston 12
calen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
MistyEyeDoll
 
Posts: n/a
But are you sure it was the wig and not the make up you where wearing? Or it might have been heat bumps from wearing your wig so long. It never happen to me before and your story make it seem like it was painful. ^_^
  Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Shizzo
Registered User
 
Shizzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 146
I've had this happen once, but only with one wig. I was wearing a wig cap at the time, but the wig was really back heavy and rubbed up against my forehead really hard. I think it's just a rash from the friction. I was really surprised about it, as it has never happened before.
Shizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
R1KKu
Registered User
 
R1KKu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,253
I've had something similar happen to me, but I dont recall breaking out. I think it was because my wig cap was a bit small so it left a sort of indent in my forehead that bothered me, but it soon went away.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Lothlin
Registered User
 
Lothlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 952
It tends to happen with me if I leave a wig on too long without reajusting it once and a while. I've pretty much decided it's a combination of skin irritation from the wig-cap slipping and from having pressure in one spot for a long time. Having gotten more used to wigs, though, it doesn't happen to me like it used to.
Lothlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
LadiesMan217
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 478
you probably broke out due to sweaty skin being constantly irritated, try wearing baby powder on the skin under your wig, that might help keep your skin dry and reduce the friction.
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
SpiffyNerd
Dochi-ga?
 
SpiffyNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by calen383 View Post
I wanted to find out if anyone else had experienced something that I did for the second time this past weekend. After wearing a wig for a very long period of time (probably from about 8am-12:30am), it created sores on my forehead where the edge of the wig hugged my head. This later turned into a group of little pimples that hurt like crazy. They are pretty easy to get rid of after a few days, and my bangs cover them up during that time, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I wonder what causes it...perhaps the oils are rubbed into the pores all day? I have rather oily skin on my forehead...*shrug*

Thoughts?
The same thing happened to me (well, almost), except...I slept in my wig cap Friday night before (I didn't think it would do any harm...stupid! >.<), then wore it all Saturday until at least 11 PM, and my wig was very backheavy (spiked to a point at a 45 degree angle). My little pimples only stayed for a couple days, but I still have a dark-looking scar a month later. Judging from the pain I felt that day, I got the same thing behind my ears, but I never actually looked.

For those that this hasn't happened to, who are trying to understand it--It sort of felt like I was being scalped, although less intense. It was a prickly pulling around my ears and forehead. My wig didn't slip at all (didn't even budge, thanks hairpins!), and it wasn't hot or sweaty.
SpiffyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage
 
Kukkii-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,618
Just an idea: Skin irritation can also be caused by detergents (or chemicals in new fabric.) So the wig cap itself might actually cause that sort of thing too.

However, it seems like the problem really is that the skin will be irritated (or even wounded) when a wig and / or wig cap is wrapped tightly around the head and constantly rubs against the skin for an extended period of time. That's only natural. My forehead always hurts a bit when I take off the wig and wig cap after a long day. The wig is the first thing I take off when undressing / changing, and I think if you feel the urge to air out your head, you really should - instead of torturing yourself^^
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
Ironekilz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,623
I've had that happen before with my white wig cap. I think it's because it's really tight. It doesn't happen with my other wig caps.
__________________
Author of "The King of Futures Past"
Ironekilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
calen383
mendacity to the max
 
calen383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
you probably broke out due to sweaty skin being constantly irritated, try wearing baby powder on the skin under your wig, that might help keep your skin dry and reduce the friction.
That is a really good idea. I was really just curious if anyone else had experienced this. Though, looking at my forehead in the mirror this morning, it goes up rather high in the corners. In these areas, if I wear a wig cap, it isn't covered and directly on the skin. I think it is a combination of tightness and irritation.

Quote:
The same thing happened to me (well, almost), except...I slept in my wig cap Friday night before (I didn't think it would do any harm...stupid! >.<), then wore it all Saturday until at least 11 PM, and my wig was very backheavy (spiked to a point at a 45 degree angle). My little pimples only stayed for a couple days, but I still have a dark-looking scar a month later. Judging from the pain I felt that day, I got the same thing behind my ears, but I never actually looked.
That really sucks, I hope it goes away. *hus*

Quote:
But are you sure it was the wig and not the make up you where wearing? Or it might have been heat bumps from wearing your wig so long. It never happen to me before and your story make it seem like it was painful. ^_^
The rest of my face was just fine and I wear the make up often.
__________________
Costumes Planned for 2011:
Red Fem!Pyro - Team Fortress 2 - 60% Done
Isabella (Redux) - Paradise Kiss - 60% Done
Cons planned: Otakon 11 - NYCC 11 - AnimeBoston 12
calen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
FaithInDeidara
Servant of Evil
 
FaithInDeidara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,077
this happend to me, too.
and i feel your pain, it hurts BAD.
i think my problem was that i had my hair in a ponytail underneath, and i didnt have a wig cap, so my ponytail kept making it scrape against my forehead.
mine was so bad, i almost went to the dermatologist.....
*shudder*
__________________
PHENOMENONAL COSPLAY POWER!!
itty bitty closet space.
My deviant art: http://swirlygiggle.deviantart.com/
if you love KYO KARA MAOH, then sign the petition in my journal on DA so we can have a fourth season!!!!
FaithInDeidara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
DeWeird
Pocky-Addict *3*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
mew, i had something like that too
*nod*
but just with this one wig...i had to take it off at some time, because my forehead was burning like hell >____<
and i was wearing a wigcap underneath, which i also wore with some other wigs, so that's not the problem...so yeah i guess there's something in that particular wig that my skin doesn't like >-<
DeWeird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
LilMaibe
Registered User
 
LilMaibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 468
Another solution could be making the wig and cap a bit wider (if possible) and securing it with a few more pins
LilMaibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.