Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 12-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
anime_papasan

Visiting Tokyo Japan

Hello. My daughter is very much into anime, manga, cosplay, and I want to know where to go in Toyko to buy her some gifts. I will be there for one day. She asked me for an akatsuki cloak, some Naruto stuff maybe an anime or manga that she cant get in the US. Any ideas of where I should start my treasure hunt? I have no clue... Thanks
anime_papasan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
CPOK
Natural born Nutcase

You will most likely want to go to a part of Tokyo called Akihabara. There are several stores there. The main 2 that you will be interested in are called Mandrake and Animate (Both are on the main street). Both of those are really easy to find. Keep in mind that those stores also speak very little to no English. between those 2 stores you should be able to find what you are after.
Unread 12-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
anime_papasan

Thank you!

Thank you Cpok for the tips. I will try those 2 stores.
Unread 12-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
geckochan

Can't be of any help sadly, but wanted to say you're a very sweet parent ^_^
geckochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
GyrfalconAH64D
BigBoss-BigNeko on dA

I don't have any specific places in mind but Japan is a box full of gems. Tons of cool things to get there. Best of luck on your search!
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
LadiesMan217

cab drivers are really nice there, go ahead and ask your cabbie if he knows of anything. they love to chat
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_papasan View Post
Hello. My daughter is very much into anime, manga, cosplay, and I want to know where to go in Toyko to buy her some gifts. I will be there for one day. She asked me for an akatsuki cloak, some Naruto stuff maybe an anime or manga that she cant get in the US. Any ideas of where I should start my treasure hunt? I have no clue... Thanks

break her off the narutard items and get into a real anime
seriously the akatsuki cloak can be aquired on ebay
evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
allthatsgeek
MINE.

That was uncalled for. Now I'm generally not one to disagree with you, we usually see eye to eye on things, but this person just came in asking a question about a subject they have no knowledge of, with no biased whatsoever, trying to find a gift for someone.
AnimatedPoison: One for each weeaboo who has died at his hands.
Yeah, that's how I roll
allthatsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
YoiYoi
Ghetto cosplayer innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOK View Post
You will most likely want to go to a part of Tokyo called Akihabara. There are several stores there. The main 2 that you will be interested in are called Mandrake and Animate (Both are on the main street). Both of those are really easy to find. Keep in mind that those stores also speak very little to no English. between those 2 stores you should be able to find what you are after.
From my experience, Akihabara was a lot more aimed at boys than girls. I wouldn't go there. From what I could see it was mostly cute girls wearing not a lot with disproportionate breasts :P Good for electrics, not good for a lot else imo.

My suggestion would be Ikekuburo - there's an Animate and a Mandarake there too but also a K Books which is an AMAZING shop full of really cheap, second hand anime stuff. (figurines, DVDs, posters, stationary, etc.) They also have a cosplay section upstairs that has loads of outfits and probably an Akutsuki cloak as well.

But yeah. Ikekuburo is very girl friendly!
YoiYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
Hydraskylar
...promise...

I haven't been to Tokyo though I really want to, but anyway, just wanna say that, wow, you are a very considerate parent. Your daughter is very lucky
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Scortia

I second Yoiyoi and say go to Ikebukuro since she's a girl. Akihabara is filled with a wonderland of disturbing male otaku goods. The K-Books and Mandarake are pretty close to one of the lines... I just can't remember which one it was.

I also suggest going to Nakano district because the Nakano Mall is an Otaku paradise with 4 floors of anime goods all in one spot. Easy to find, everything in one spot. There's lots of 'normal' goods for the regular shopper as well. There's a couple of cosplay shops in the mall but I don't know if they have Akatsuki cloaks. I second everyone else who suggests just getting it online anyhow. The cosplay stores tend to be rather pricey.
Unread 12-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
Terumi
Guilty Jesus Freak

Everyone mentioned some great places. I agree with YoiYoi about Akihabara (There are great stores there, but it can be difficult to sift through what I'll call the "less than amazing" ones.) ; however, there is a nice little shop as you exit the Akihabara station to the left (Electric City Exit) that, if she likes any movies such by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service - and more), has a large selection of Miyazaki merchandise in the front of the store. They also have many non Miyazaki items up front.

And this may be out of the way, but in case you end up in the area.....in Odaiba there is another cute Miyazaki shop near the large Faris Wheel (you can't miss it) down stairs in the large shopping mall right next to it. There is a mini cat shaped bus (about 5-6ft long in the front of this section) that marks the small area.

Everyone else had great suggestions and I'm sorry can't offer more help. Have fun!
Terumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Dal_Segno
Who loves, raves.

More of a trivial thing, but I'm gonna throw it out anyways.

If you're there on a Sunday, Harajuku (between Shinjuku and Shibuya) is allways a nifty sight. There are plenty of intresting sights (Meiji Shrine and Yoyogi Park to name two), but the area also has two main shopping streets, Omotesandō and Takeshita-dōri (opposite Harajuku Station). Takeshita-dori is aimed at the youth who dress in Lolita, Decora and so forth fashion; it's the place to be seen when you're young and is full of neat shops and cafes. Omotasando is aimed at the higher end, with stores like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, etc.

At Yoyogi Park, the bridge across the train tracks, is full of Lolitas and Jrock cospalyers. But only on Sunday is it worth seeing.

I've said my peace. :P

Assassin: "Where are you going?"
Tealīc: "I am leaving. You are about to explode."

~~~~

FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ
Icon by: Silfar

Dal_Segno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I'll add in to the chimes of Ikebukuro. If you get off at Ikebukuro Station, which is a hub, go out the Sunshine City exit and follow the signs for it. You'll pass a bright line of shops including the Sanrio Store, and the way you want to go is just to the left of the Tokyu Hands entrance. The easiest way is to go down the escalator and along the moving platforms, past Burger King, and back up another escalator. Across the street will be the aforementioned stores like K-Books. They're really hard to miss -- I think there's even a giant sign that says "ANIME". The Animate there has a really good Naruto section, though you might want to find out her favorite characters first since the selection is so wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalas View Post
More of a trivial thing, but I'm gonna throw it out anyways.
^^; He's only going to be in Tokyo one day and wants to pick up anime items for his daughter. I don't think going to Harajuku to see people dressed up would really be on the agenda...

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Central in Rosemont, IL (May 16-18)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #15
anime_papasan

Thanks again

Thanks again for all the tips. Michi, thanks for the detailed directions. One big question is how easy and how far is Ikebukuro to get to from Narita airport? I have a 10 hour layover, get in at 6am and connecting flight leaves at 4pm. Will I have enough time to get to Ikebukuro and back? I pulled up the Tokyo train map on the internet and it seems pretty complicated (and possibly pretty far) to get to Ikebukuro. Any idea what time the stores open?

My daughter says she wants NARUTO SHIPPUUDEN, maybe I need to get some more details. She says she cant get it in the USA. She also wants a Lolita costume, but without her with me, I dont know if I can get her size right. Maybe if I can find the cloak it will be a successful treasure hunt.

Thanks again for the tips!