Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Chibi-Dreamer

First Sweet Lolita dress made entirely from scratch- Critique and Comment

Here is me in the dress I wore to the New York Anime Festival this weekend. I've never gone to a con in Lolita before, and this is the first dress I've sewn entirely by myself, which is why it looks so simple.

http://www.freewebs.com/chibi-dreame...ya%2Dsmall.jpg

(Taken by the Cosclips photo studio)

Please tell me what i'm doing right/wrong. I kind of did the same pose in every pic, and I was worrying about whether or not I was misrepresenting Sweet Lolitas everywhere.

Also, if you have any pics of me, please let me know!
Chibi-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
DigitalDeviance
Fakir: Jedi Knight

»Very lovely! I do have two suggestions.

First off, get rid of the parasol, please! It doesn't match at all. Perhaps if there was some pink on the rest of your outfit. Secondly, you may want to consider wearing a blouse; you're showing too much skin below your neck.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed; the shoes are a bit strange. They don't look as if they belong. I'm not sure if they contradict guidelines to a Lolita style, however.

Last edited by DigitalDeviance : 12-12-2007 at 05:05 PM.
DigitalDeviance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

I think the overall construction is really good. SO happy that you didn't have tons of lace all over it. The headdress is cute and not too big. OMG I LOVE THE SHOES!

Some critiques. Do something with you hair. It's just laying there and blocking part of your face. Ditch the pink parasol. It clashes with your outfit. And it's not really a soft pink either. I think you should of gone with a smaller statin ribbon.Like 4/3 or 1/2 the size.And the lace looks pretty cheap.So your torso is drowing under all the ribbon and lace. Next time use either cluny,eyelet, or venise lace.

As a first try, it looks awesome and keep working on coordinating and material choice.

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Hydraskylar
...promise...

cute, very cute, and you just saved yourself lots of money for making that dress. Like mentioned, drop the parasol, maybe curle your hair a bit, with your hair all straight down like this, you look a bit tired, doesn't really bit your way too happy face ^_^ Now I'm not an expert on EGL so I'm not sure if the shoes are the right style, but they look too easy to fall off for me. Yo mght wanna try something with strap or something more stable. Well, at lease that's what I'd prefer since I've had some unhappy experiences with shoes like this. Anyway, very well done for your first project
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

To echo previous posters, the parasol is not the greatest, the shoes should be different, and perhaps you can swap out the lace for something of higher quality. As Clueless Case said, Cluny, eyelet, and Venise are all good laces and you can even find them at Wal*Mart for not too much money. Otherwise, fabric stores or online sources are good-- just look for cotton lace, not synthetic. And this is a personal peeve of mine but I'm glad other people mentioned it, it's a shame to wear such a cute outfit and then just blow out your hair and leave it. Curl it, pigtail it, wear an adorable wig, just please don't ignore the hair!

I must say for a first try, and for something you sewed yourself, it's really admirable. Keep up the good work!

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
lady_artemis
Awesome and PINK!!

Awwwww! So cute! <3 What'd I'd suggest would be to do something with the front part of your hair that's covering part of your face. It looks kind of messy >.< Otherwise I really like it (besides the parasol). I don't think your showingtoo much skin, as DigitalDeviance said. I really like the neckline, in fact. Good job on a first try ^^ It's simple yet beautiful
lady_artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
ArashiSakura
Not weird just unique

I really do not like the pink parasol. Maybe if it was a white parasol it would have looked better. However, I think should have carried around a stuffed animal, like a teddy bear.

I have to agree with the others about the shoes. They are cute, but they do not fit the outfit. Plus, one of my pet peeves are women who were hose with open-toed shoes. For a great pair of shoes, try the locale thrift stores or even eBay.

With the hair, it would have been so cute with you curled your hair. Especially if you curled the hair around your face. To get some really good curls, put some mousse into hair before curling. And while having the curling iron in your hair, spray some hairspray into your hair (while in the curling iron). That will help the curls stay in for a longer period of time.

I do love the style and fit of the dress. The fit is wonderful. The shape is just right for your body as well.
ArashiSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
LGS

Aaah, you are way too adorable! Your posing is wonderful, I just want to take you home with me and give you tea and cookies.

The parasol and shoes, as others have said, don't really fit. You did an amazing job on the headress though, it's notoriously difficult to wear that type of headress without looking like your head is being eaten by a lacy maxi pad (I am of this group. No frilly headpads for me). Congratulations on being able to pull it off so well!
Unread 12-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Raenef

I think all my critiques have already been voiced. ^^;;
Most notable would be parasol, shoes, and hair.

Otherwise, I think you look cute! If you have livejournal, be sure to join the sew_loli community~ They have nice project forms to keep you going! ^^
Raenef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

Lose the parasol, lace looks cheap, and the headdres is to big for your head you need something smaller. I think it looks like its eating your head. lol You need better shoes those ones are not lolita. Do something with the hair long hair is pretty but you need to do something with it. Like curl it. Other then that it looks very cute and lolita suits you. good luck with your next attempt. Also wear socks next time instead of tights they look better.

Last edited by Petiteprincess1 : 12-12-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
milkandcookie

ha ha Id already copied a photo of your outfit from someone else's photos of the event (sorry i cant remember where i got it from). I love the dress design and now i hear it was your first attempt im seriously impressed. the way the skirt hangs is gorgeous. a good choice of fabric.

I wont claim to be an expert on Lolita style rules but personally I love the shoes. I quite like seeing different shoe styles with Lolita and I think yours complement the outfit well. Im not sure whether peep toes are considered a bit risky for loli (but between you and me, rules aside, you look adorable).

If that was outfit No.1 i can wait to see outfit No.2.
milkandcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
Chibi-Dreamer

Heh, yes, thank you all for your opinions. I really only had a little over a week to put this outfit together. I hadn't expected my hair to be all over the place, the wind coming off the Hudson River while I was walking to the Javits center really did a number on it. ( I went to the bathroom as soon as I got there and literally said 'Oh no!') I'm pretty sure the lace was Cluny, if i get a chance I'll upload a better picture of it for clarification. I think I'll dye the parasol white or something, its just in the limited time i was working in I really couldn't pull it off. And after the holiday season is over, I intend to buy myself some nice shoes. The ones I was wearing were all I could find in the limited time and I assumed they were acceptable since I had seen these open toed shoes. But I do understand what you all are saying about having a strap around your ankle. Thank you all for your help! ^-^

And, milkandcookie if you have a picture saved on your computer, could you email it to ksaran@optonline.net? Thank you so much for your comment!
Chibi-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
divine_fanaticy

it looks really nice! the shoes are interesting - not bad, just interesting. i kinda like them. my only qualm is that you have a big, pretty smile that doesn't work quite so well with lolita. i think that the "lolita face" ranges from pouty to a gentle, closed-lipped smile. that's all. super cute!
divine_fanaticy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
LGS

I disagree, I think she has a lovely smile. I can't stand it when Lolitas look constipated in photos.

Keep smiling, dearie ^_^
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
Elenoa
Funny Bunny

I kinda have to agree with divine_fanaticy with the smiles thing. No offense to you, Chibi-Dreamer, but I felt like your smile was a bit over the top. I mean, you come off really happy, but maybe...a bit too happy, if that's possible.

Actually, I believe I've read somewhere in health/scientific studies that if you just met a person (or if you're trying to get the attention of some hawt guy ), it's best to keep your smiles to a low, cute/quick smile, instead of a big grin. Big grins can actually scare people a bit, which was sorta the sensation I got from your smile.

Other than that, I REALLY like how your dress is simple, but doesn't lack the elegance of a lolita. Some loli dresses I've seen are nice, but too cluttered, imo, because they thought "More lace=better" or what not.

Besides that, I resonate with everyone else's suggestions :3

ps instead of dying the parasol white, however, I would suggest dying it the same shade of blue as the rest of your dress and use white for the rim of the parasol (if that's possible? XD). I believe that would match with the rest of your dress better.

Last edited by Elenoa : 12-18-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Elenoa is offline   Reply With Quote