Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Eye Contacts Help~

EDIT (2010): I just saw that this post was added to the Makeup FAQ, probably a loooong time ago. And i also saw how rude i was being to the people who were just trying to help me. Even if its 3 years late, i'm sorry to whoever reads this x_x;; I'm so glad i'm not such a brat anymore. This is a very old post, and a 15 year old me. So i apologize in advance for those reading this and seeing what a little brat i'm being. I'm way more polite now <3 And thanks to all those who helped!

--Original Post--

Okay, i'm cosplaying Tonks by Jubilations on deviantart. DX It was a secret, but i told her, so now i dont care if i broadcast it.

Anyways, i got the wig and its in the mail here.

And about the eyes... he has a left eye thats red and the other is white. Yet most fanart makes it a light grey.

Is it possible for me to order on of each contact? Do anime cons let you buy one of each? I dont know my eye's size thingy or whatever, and neither did my friend Tressie when she bought cat-eyes for her costume.

I dont know what to do. I hate super expensive stuff. @_@ all my money is going to making the costume and buying the wig, so the contacts cant be uber expensive.

Any help would be great, thanks!

~Axelai~

PS: Most posts made by my screenname are from my cousin, VanillaAlarm. So this is actually the second post thats actually by Axelai. XD

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!

Last edited by Axelai : 07-07-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

There may be some places that sell contacts one-by-one, but everywhere I've looked in my own shopping has them at -least- in pairs :/ If anyone knows a place that sells them singly, I'd love to hear it so I can bookmark it, hehe.

At least the useful thing about that is that if you're not looking for ones that alter vision (or if, like me, you use the same power in both eyes *lucky*) you can have a backup pair, just in case something happens with one of the contacts (falls down the drain, rips, etc) - though of course when they're expensive costume contacts I'm sure you're extra careful ~_~ I know I am!
Unread 12-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
calen383
mendacity to the max

::sigh:: Search 'contacts' in this forum and you'll get the same thing I'm about to tell you.

Expensive = quality in this case. Think about it, you do want to risk your sight to put something cheap into your eye? I think you should go for cheaper costume materials than go cheap on the contacts.

That said, I know 9mmsfx does individual contacts and you have to make sure it is clear when you order them. If you contact them ahead of time, they are really good about getting back to you and helping you out. I'd prepare to spend about $150 for both contacts but I can guarantee they'd be good quality.

Some cons do sell them for about $40 a pair (I have white ones myself, but I bought them before I knew the risks and hardly wear them anymore). They sell them by the pair normally and they do not have a prescription in them. They are said to go over your contacts (which, again, I have done) but there are risks that go along with that.

If you want to risk it, hey, its your sight. You have been warned.
Cons planned: Otakon 11 - NYCC 11 - AnimeBoston 12
calen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Axelai
I'm Awesome

owo I didn't mean to sound stupid. DX

I just am very very poor (i'm 15 and have no job, so my maximum amount to spend is about fifty dollars)

I dont really care how "good" the contacts actually look. I'm not going for realistic, really. I mean, how can it look realistic in one white eye and one red?

And i know the risks, but i can take my chances considering i'm only wearing them once and for one day. I wont wear them every again, thats why i want cheap ones.

And sorry if i sound like a noob. I've never worn contacts before (20/15 vision) so i wouldntk now about them. =_= You dont need to get all rude and mad at me about it.

Unread 12-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
calen383
mendacity to the max

I wasn't being rude and I wasn't mad. Don't take it so personally. I was honest and maybe a little forceful but it was to warn you, not make you feel bad about yourself.

It only takes one time of putting them into your eye to ruin them. When you do this, regardless of where you get them, get your eyedoctor to fit you for contacts first. Good contact places will ask for a prescription anyway, even if your eyes are good. This is to avoid problems with astigmatisms and other eye-shaping problems. Plus, contacts are not one-size-fits-all, so you'll have to be sized.

Contacts are not that important to a costume and since you are so young, it may not be time for you to get them. Trust me, you don't want to loose your sight at 15. That would not be a fun game to play and you will regret it later.

This is not to say you shouldn't get them if you really want them. But my stance on the matter is that you should fork out the dough for them rather than go cheap. Whatever you do, I can't stop you.
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Whoa. Even with cheaper lenses, 50 isn't going to cut it. Individually, I think vision direct sells halloween lenses for about $30 per and they require a prescription. Most anywhere you get them online, you legally need a prescription. The only place you can get them (illegally, really) is at cons in pairs for about $60.
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Sorry. ;_;

And the reason i just dont go to an eye doctor is because my mom is really busy so i can never make it to an eye doctor to be checked. Plus that costs my mom money, and we dont have insurance at the moment. @_@

And i think the contacts are a bit important to the character. I mean, for my photos for my website i'll just photoshop (im good at it) in the correct color, but i'm being someone's OC and i want to show off to her when i meet her that i can do a good job. And i dont really want to be a good job by having my narutally grey-yellow-blue eyes (i have weird colored eyes).

And i honestly would "fork out the dough" for the contacts if i had the dough. But like i said, i'm dirt poor. I actually bought the wig from saving lunch money for months.

Unread 12-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #8
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Unfortunately, in this case, there's nothing positive I can tell you :\
The whole eye exam is what stops most people from getting contacts, but it's necessary. I wouldn't want to buy clothes without knowing what size I am. (Honestly. Do you REALLY want to spend $60+ on contacts you can't wear? It's happened a couple times on this board alone)

And while the eye color may be important, I think you'll have to go without. In the case of Itachi and Neji/Hinata from Naruto, or Count D from Petshop of Horrors (who also has dual colored eyes) where eye color is a prominent trait, some can't spend $80-300 on contacts so they go without.

Just make the costume as best as you can and I think the creator would understand. ^.~
Before I had contacts (I'm "lucky". I had to get them for corrective purposes -_-) I just made the costume rock. After that, people don't pay as much attention to the eyes.

Just as a postscript, no one on these boards is trying to be mean. We're about the same age but I probably have a little bit more experience with everyone around here. It's just that the same question comes up over and over again and we know (often from experience) what can happen. We're just trying to keep you safe

~Ari-chan

Last edited by phantomthief : 12-13-2007 at 10:58 PM.
phantomthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief View Post
Unfortunately, in this case, there's nothing positive I can tell you :\
The whole eye exam is what stops most people from getting contacts, but it's necessary. I wouldn't want to buy clothes without knowing what size I am. (Honestly. Do you REALLY want to spend $60+ on contacts you can't wear? It's happened a couple times on this board alone)

And while the eye color may be important, I think you'll have to go without. In the case of Itachi and Neji/Hinata from Naruto, or Count D from Petshop of Horrors (who also has dual colored eyes) where eye color is a prominent trait, some can't spend $80-300 on contacts so they go without.

Just make the costume as best as you can and I think the creator would understand. ^.~
Before I had contacts (I'm "lucky". I had to get them for corrective purposes -_-) I just made the costume rock. After that, people don't pay as much attention to the eyes.

Just as a postscript, no one on these boards is trying to be mean. We're about the same age but I probably have a little bit more experience with everyone around here. It's just that the same question comes up over and over again and we know (often from experience) what can happen. We're just trying to keep you safe

~Ari-chan
=_= Okay, thanks. And please excuse my freaking over rudeness. Its just that someone on ff.net once was flaming my fic, so i yelled at them in a PM, then he got all his sisters to flame all my stuff. Only now did ff.net add a thing to kill a review. Finally. People were starting to believe i was a "talentless idiot" because it was said so much.

So because of that, i constantly spaz when i think someone's just being mean. >.>

Unread 12-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #10
DeviousMousie

I guess the question you really have to ask is, is it worth it? If it's a cosplay you're going to do more than once I'd say go for it, but if not then don't worry about it. She'll probably love it even if your eyes aren't right.

But everyone else here is right. Legally shops selling contacts are required to ask for a prescription since there are people, believe it or not, who cannot wear contacts. It's important to know if you can or cant before buying them.

Also, another note on buying the pairs, think of it's this way. If you bought one of each color and then lost one, you'd be heart-broken. However if you buy the pair and lose one at least then you have the other contact to use! ^^ It's a win-win situation. XD

But yeah, wait, get your eyes tested when you can, and then order them. Trust me, it'll be way better.
DeviousMousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:17 AM   #11
DugFinn
Chocobo Go!

Here you go. This site has both red contacts and white contacts for $29 for each pair.

I'm not about to get into the whole cheap contacts hurt your eyes issue. Frankly, it's over rated. Just be smart, wash your hands, be clean and don't over wear them, etc and there should be no problem what so ever with using "cheaper" contacts. Besides, just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's crappy. Sheesh people, take a chill pill on the kid. We weren't all born with contact lens knowledge.

Anyway, try this place. They got what you need.
http://www.colorlens4less.com/
Hope this helps.

If it's your first time wearing contacts though, I highly recommend you get a contact eye exam done at least once just to be on the safe side and make sure you're eyes are compatible with cosmetic contact lenses. Just to be on the safer side and all.
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
calen383
mendacity to the max

*shrug* I didn't want her getting into something like this without full knowledge of the consequences.

If you want to be completely safe, talk to an eye doctor about it. No need for a check-up to just ask questions. An eye doctor will be able to tell you what the risks are to using sites that don't ask for prescriptions and how the cheaper contacts will differ from the more expensive ones.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh earlier, I just get really uppity about people doing things to their body without knowing what they are getting themselves into. I'm not against contacts of any price, just what the differences in quality and the ethics of the people selling them at that cheap price. I don't want to know if they don't know about proteins in your eye or the proper plastic to use (not that I know anything about that and contacts, but there has to be something special about it considering we all aren't sticking plastic wrap over our eyes to change the color).

EDIT: You know I'm looking at that contact site and I'm entrigued and yet scared of it at the same time. I wonder if any one has ordered from them and found them satisfactory? I'm also trying to find out if they take prescriptions, but I'm thinking that's a no. Plus >.> a lot of the pictures look photoshopped on and not an actual contact...

Last edited by calen383 : 12-19-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
DugFinn
Chocobo Go!

I know what you mean. I can get a little uppity about things like this too, especially when it comes to hair (EVERY encounter I have EVER had with a saloon lady who "knows what she is doing" has resulted in my hair being utterly damaged and near destroyed to a point where I just refuse to allow anyone besides myself to mess with my hair anymore - And you know what? I've never gotten such spectacular results as now that I'm doing my own hair including bleaching, toning, dying, etc), so yes, I understand about people NEEDING to be informed about what they are doing to themselves.

Yesterday, when I posted, I actually already PMed her links to where she can read about contacts, how to use them, the different kinds, etc. I figured it could help.

As for the website http://www.colorlens4less.com/, I've ordered from there before and I really like them. The contacts are comfortable in my opinion and the colors are bright and extremely nice. They show up on film very well too, which I know is a challenge for some colored contacts. I actually like them better than my Banshee I got a while back (and I paid $60 for those).

I'm definitely ordering more from this website again. And they have reasonable shipping too!

This is the website of the company that makes their products. You can read about them here. They have a very good reputation. It's a newer company that was founded in 2000 and just recently started selling outside of Europe and Asia so maybe that's why you haven't heard of them too much. http://e-colorcontactlens.com/
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
=_= Okay, thanks. And please excuse my freaking over rudeness.
Hm? Nah. I didn't think you were being rude at all.

But just to address something... Er. As far as "cheap contacts" go, it's actually pretty hard to find a low quality lens. Generally, when you get theatrical contacts, they're basically one of 3 brands that most any contacts place sells. (Wild Eyez, Wild, Gothika, etc) It's just a matter of who has the lowest price. There's not too-too much in the way of quality difference until you go from the mass produced lenses to hand-painted ones (like 9mmsfx).

~Ari-chan
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
calen383
mendacity to the max

I still can't find anything about adding a prescription on them. Perhaps it is impossible (in which can useless to me). Does anyone know anything about it?