Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
_mouse_

How To Scale Down A Pattern

I found a pattern in my grandmothers sewing things that I love in a size 20, and I wear a 6. It doesn't have a name or anything, just in a plain envelope with a picture of the front, and measurements on the back, so looking for it in a smaller size just won't work. Is there a way to scale this down easily? I'm a beginning sewer, so I'd prefer nothing too complicated if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
_mouse_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
Cats10
Arrrrrrrr

That's a lot to scale down.

Maybe your better off bringing that pattern with you to a place that sells patterns and picking up one that looks the same.
Cats10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
_mouse_

Okay, thanks I was hoping to be able to use it, but oh well. I'll go pick out something similar next time I'm at the fabric store.
Unread 12-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Misa-sama

If you *really* want to scale it down, you have to do a little math. All it takes is figure out the ratio of 6:20 sizes. Once you have that decimal, just multiply everything by that size (well, the stuff you'd need, you obviously wouldn't shrink any head pieces or anything, just the dress). Also, that'll just give you the dress in the smaller size, but you might have to make further adjustments for *your* size, unless it would already fit you.
Misa-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
_mouse_

I think I'm just going to go to a shop near my mom's that sells patterns, show them the pattern and get them to find something similar, thanks a ton though!
Unread 12-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Raenef

I just realized this because I was looking through my grandma's old patterns but you might want to check the measurements on the pattern. XD A size 20 might not need so much down-scaling as you think.

My granny had a bunch of patterns sized 12-18 but when I looked at the measurements, the size 12 had a bust measurement of 34 inches which is totally usable for me. (I wear anywhere between today's Girls 16/XL and Ladies 4.) Proof that the American fashion industry is messing with the sizes to make people feel better. D8
Raenef is offline   Reply With Quote