Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Unread 12-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Look Like The Character?

I know we cosplayers dont usually think about how much we actually LOOK like the characters when we cosplay. At least i dont really do that much. n.n When i cosplay, i go "Hey! I like that character!" and i dress up. Its as easy as that.

But all my school friends say they love certain characters but hate seeing cosplayers because they dont "look" like the characters. Like my friend Ali said she saw the best Naruto cosplayer EVER... at least in the costume. but she said the person's face was just too masculine, or had too much acne, or wasn't the right weight...

theres so many things that can make you not look like a character. And that really bugs me. I look at myself and go "Hey, i can pass as a crossplayer!" so i do. n.n But if i really like, let's say, Tamaki from Ouran, i'll cosplay him for fun. But i dont really care if i look like them. but the photographers i know, and the anime con people i know actually do care if you have the right face or body for a character. I was lucky once. I happen to have an ovular face, so Jack Spicer was perfect for me.

so is there any time you look at yourself and say "Hey, i could pass as so-and-so so i'll cosplay him/her!"? Or do you tend to go "I really like this character so i'll cosplayer him/her!"? I do a mixture of both, but i tend to not dress as the world's sexiest man if i happen to not be the world's sexiest man. Thats why i'll never dress as Eiri Yuki (warai!).

~Axelai~

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!

Unread 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

I choose characters that I like, and then spend the next forever fretting about how I don't look anything like them.
Ah, such is life.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
daoutlaw
Emergency! Dekaranger!

I could probably pass as a hobo if I ever cosplayed as.
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
ChibiTenshi
Aww Barf!

If we all had to cosplay characters that look similar to us, then cosplaying wouldn't be fun at all. For example, I'm latina, so I have tanned skin. There are just a handful of tanned characters out there, let alone characters that look like me. So if we all had to look like the character, not everyone could cosplay, and it would just be plain boring.

Although, it feels wonderful when a person tells you that you look like the character, looking like it it's not important. All that is important is the work that you put on into your costume and that you have fun!

Planned for 2010:

Ciel Phantomhive from Kuroshitsuji (tentative)
Echo from Pandora Hearts (tentative)
Agitha the Bug Princess from LoZ: Twilight Princess (0%-planned)
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
ReiHari
Fuzzy Bumpkin

When it comes to me, I could really care less if the person looked like who they were cosplaying as. It's just an added bonus to the costume if they look like them.

I had been told I had a mamimi face, so that's who I chose to cosplay as. Radical edward, I had the figure, the limbs, but not exactly the skin tone or face. we can't choose what we want to look like when we're born, so people shouldn't be judged down if they dont look like the character.

Upcoming cosplays:
Fuu (Sam.Champloo)
Chrona (SE)
Stage 2!Medusa (SE)
Surpise! (pokemon)
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

Personally, if I want to, I cosplay the character, even if I don't look a thing like them. I'm all of 5' 4" round faced woman, and cosplayed a 6" something, angular faced shark man.

It's nice to see people who have that spot on look that really makes you stop and say, "Man, they really look like ------" But, it's kind of unfair to think that everybody should look like the character they cosplay. Especially if the person's of darker skin color, there's a huge ratio of Light skinned to dark skinned characters, so having a Black cosplayer stick to only cosplaying black characters, I don't think it's fair at all.

If the person loves the character, they're willing to put the time and effort into making the cosplay, then by all means let them cosplay who they want.

I mean, it'd be nice if we had the similar features as the characters we're cosplaying, but unless you happen to have a micro waist, or eyes half the size of your face, it ain't happening.
AC Paradise Deviantart
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

I tend to choose a lot of blondes, since blonde characters are typically more likely to have Caucasian features, and I've been blonde my whole life so I can't see myself any other way. I'll be breaking out of that a bit next year so I don't typecast myself, though.

I also try to go for characters with more mature looks. I can pull off boyish girls or girlish boys but not pure round-faced loli-cuteness.

Body-wise, I'm on the small side so there's a lot of versatility there. I can crossplay with ease thanks to my lack of certain assets. Unfortunately, I'm often too short for the male characters I choose and a bit too tall for the young, cute types I've done in the past. Next year I'm going to play around with my height by getting more shoes and boots with higher heels.

What I mean by all this tl;dr crap is that I limit myself based on personal preferences more than anything else.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
RaMMY
RaMMYz...with a Z!

I try to keep it close. short shota boys, are short chicks with giant tatties. I rather be the short characters, although I spaz when i do kh2 riku, i hate my height. I won't do anyone with a muscular face. Personality has alot to do with it to. I stick to the paler characters, I hate wearing uber amounts of makeup.
Sub-Zero(MK), Jack Spicer(xiaolin showdown),Katara(A:TLA),Azazel (x-men)
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
AnimatedPoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
I know we cosplayers dont usually think about how much we actually LOOK like the characters when we cosplay.
I do, actually.

I try to cosplay characters that I at least vaguely resemble physically, and that I also like. It's never going to be perfect, but I don't have to work as hard if I don't look completely different from the character.

I doubt I would ever cosplay a character on the basis of resembling them alone though. Liking the character that you cosplay matters too. I'd say, using extreme generalizations, that importance runs in this order when cosplaying:

1) Have fun
2) Like the character
3) Actually resemble the character
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Grey Finch
Finch

I usually don't care if I look like the character or not. Sure, I think about it, and maybe think of ways to enhance certain attributes the character might have (like makeup to accentuate the nose or cheekbones). I mean, I can't change the things I think would make me look any more accurate (since I usually cosplay tall mature looking dudes, I can't switch my legs out for longer ones, get five shades tanner for a day or lose the roundess of my face).

So to make up for it I usually just do my best with the costume wig and makeup and let it go from there. And if anyone has a problem with me not looking EXACTLY LIKE ____ they take it too seriously I think. :]

In-Progress:
TBD
Next Con:
ALA 2013

Deviantart : Website
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
benihime
Kimono Queen

sometimes i happen to end up looking like my character

but it's not on purpose

most of the time i just love the character and want to cosplay them

although i've found out i'm a cuter guy than i a cute girl. haha

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

Unread 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I've never found an anime character I look like, because sadly, my genes do not allow me to have eyes that make up 1/2 of my face and a triangle for a nose.
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
Sabarae
Alexiel's Prince

I actually look for characters that look like me AS WELL AS cosplay characters that I just plain like. I'm a 5'4", super skinny, rather light-skinned black chick with practically no hips nor breasts. I'm quite limited in characters that I DO look like, but there are some that I look like and ALSO happen to be my favorite characters because of their personalities (Kurai, Anthy, Merle, and Malik to name a few and all of which have very unforgettable personalities). But I don't just cosplay people I look like. For example, this past Nekocon, I was Shuuhei Hisagi from bleach; a tall, strongly built man who obviously isn't black. He was practically my exact opposite

But no, I'm not going to pretend to say that I don't EVER think about whether or not I look like the character. I LOVE appearing as though I'm a character that had just stepped out of a person's television or manga. It's a great feeling. And keeping an open mind about my appearance has lead me to discover some truly interesting characters that just so happen to be characters that I can look like (like Gareas from Candidate for Goddess). I'll even admit that characters I can 'pull off' tend to be favored over ones I can't. I dunno, I suppose it add to my feelings of connection to the characters or something. But again, most of the time it's because of their situations and personalities. I just won't let my appearance stop me from doing a cosplay of a character I really like.
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #14
Kotoumi
Scarlet Witch, Coco

People don't have to look like the person they're cosplaying as, but if they do it adds a little something more to the costume, in my opinion.
Wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist, but it just makes them a little easier to recognize. =x

However, if someone were to get plastic surgery to look like a character, that's going way too far.

As for me, I tend to pick characters I like and think I can pull off - like Yukina. I wanted to cosplay her at one point (And I did), told some of my friends, and they said that I resembled her in personality and looks...it just made her more fun to cosplay than it would have otherwise.

Yeah. That's just my opinion, though.

KumoriCon 2014
Leanne (Resonance of Fate) - Olivia [Myrmidon] (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Tactician (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Misaki [s4, Purple ver.] (Cardfight!! Vanguard) - Belgium [Red Riding Hood] (Hetalia)

SakuraCon 2015
Grima [gijinka] (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Tactician (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Shion (Xenosaga Episode I) - Frey (Rune Factory 4)???

Last edited by Kotoumi : 12-14-2007 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Added another part to it.
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Meh. Mom and Dad made the face, I just deal with the costume.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)