Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Central

Unread 06-02-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
keitaro849

where to buy cosplay?

does anyone round here know where to buy cosplay?
keitaro849 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
trekkieb47
Let's make props!

What exactly do you mean...buy cosplay? If you mean buying complete costumes for anime characters....good luck. From what I understand, cosplaying a character is mostly about researching what they wear, buying/modifying/making the clothes that fit the character, and making/buying accessories to match. There are some sites that let you buy a certain characters main clothing (like Vash's coat from Trigun) or accessories (Chii's ears from Chobits) but a lot of these are for popular characters, so if you do a lesser know character you might have a harder time.

For my Roger Smith costume, it was realatively simple. Black Dress pants, White shirt, Leather gloves, suspenders, the watch, the tie (which i used fabric paint to make the white stripe, and a black suit jacket I found on ebay for $20 that fit me perfectly. I had to replace the buttons on it and make them white. But that it.

For my Akagi for Dai-Guard costume, I've been looking at websites that sell jumpsuits. This could be modified for his pilot suit with fabric, sewing, and patience.

Its best to post these things on the other forum section for making cosplay.

Berry

The Object of Affection of the "We <3 Berry" fanbase!
trekkieb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
RedPikachu
Love Long and Prosper

you can request costumes from people who make costumes...like me ^_^

I made the pimp ash/poke hos costumes and I made a Jr. (Xenosaga) costume this year for acen....
RedPikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
trekkieb47
Let's make props!

Ah commissions, another good way to go. Money money money....

Berry

The Object of Affection of the "We <3 Berry" fanbase!
trekkieb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

I cant sew so I ususally make my costumes form existing things, modifying and adding onto them, and making my own props and accessories.
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Famira Damaris
Oekaki Whore

Well, you could always commission someone to make a costume for you. However, it can be relatively expensive ($150-$200 for a costume that has about average detail).
Famira Damaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
Menchi
Tee hee <3

heh...if i werent sooooo takin a break from sewing i woud be glad to help tooo ^^;;; but if ya wanna cosplay as a char...an not spend huge bucks go as a char with clothes ya can buy as is an mix an match, or buy an modify
Menchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

I know there are some people who look down on those who just modify clothes or existing pieces, but I think if you can take something that's already out there and turn it into a part of your costume, in turn saving money and time, more power to yah.
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oh, I'm all for modifying, considering I usually charge people close to $300 for decent costumes. Kylash knows that. Half my Hiei costume is modified, the rest was scratch-built with fairly low-cost cotton fabrics.
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2003, 12:35 AM   #10
HEDGESMFG
PLEASE think of the Genki

To those who Taylor costumes...how complex or expensive would you expect it to be for somebody to throw together a costume like this?

http://www.gundam-seed.net/character/images/asran1.gif
http://www.gundam-seed.net/character/images/nicol1.gif
http://www.gundam-seed.net/character/images/izark1.gif
http://www.gundam-seed.net/character...s/diattka1.gif

Namely a Red Zaft pilot's military uniform from Gundam Seed.

This year, aside from my "Haro", my costume was very much thrown together with various store bought items. It worked for the time (and ended up being the only outfit I had for 3 days when I unexpectedly roomed with a friend x.o) but if possible, I'd like to pull off something a little more elaborate and detailed (and if I could get this costume, I'd be able to switch between 3 different wings and one scar to be a different char each day). I'm not making any definate requests yet, but I'm curious as to if it'd be possible.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2003, 01:01 AM   #11
SoulCrash
Canon 7D w/ 17-55 580exII

Exclamation Too Cheap...

I also can't sew for $hit. Most of my costumes are store brought. I also do some modifying on the clothes if necessary. You just need to know where to get it (in your area, or online), just have common sence, and just be lucky that you find it... Just like my GTO white suit.

Note: I have to say this. If you want a different color suit (like a Lupin, Nabeshin, etc). Go to this place called "Imperial Clothiers" somewhere in the LincolnWood area.. It's a SWEET @$$ palce to buy those suits that are "hard" to find for CHEAP prices. That's where I got the Nabeshin jacket, and GTO white suit at (both of them are for $80 each!).

Here's there business card....
Unread 06-03-2003, 02:49 AM   #12
RyanW
The missing Link

Haha, on this forum? Everybody with a machine will gladly take your money for a costume. Most people will probably do something worth your money, but for God's sake, don't spend more than 400 dollars on that one, and that's assuming you're getting the entire thing, with a styled wig and boots.

If you're just getting the jacket and pants, then you could probably cut it in half.

If you're considering a comission, there's some important questions to ask your clothier.

Ask them what their credentials are, or to see examples of their work. Most people will have examples of their work on their page, so you can usualy scan the site and get all the credentials you need.

Ask them what kinds of materials or machines they use. If someone isn't professionaly finishing seams (done with a machine called a serger), then you probably shouldn't be paying at the higher end of that 2-400 dollars. If someone's just going to throw a single straight stitch into it, it'll fall apart under stress, so don't expect it to last long.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, ORDER EARLY!

The number one mistake people make when they order from us at limebarb.com is they want a costume too soon, or they request it for the day they're leaving for the con. Make sure you ask for it to be delivered at least a few weeks before you'll be wearing it so you can make sure it's properly fitted and make any adjustments, or take up and issues you may have with your service.

If you want an example of some of the things you should be giving the person you're requesting from, go to our 'how to request a costume' guidelines page at http://www.limebarb.com/cosplay/howtorequest.html and give your person every last bit of info on the page. That'll help you and them to get things going as fast as possible.

Also, shop around. Some sites, people, etc, charge way too much for very amatuer work. The people on this message board are all pretty hardcore, so you won't have that problem if you go with someone here, but at least make sure you're not paying too much or too little.

Okay, last piece of advice for requesting a costume is to go with someone you feel is capable of producing your costume at the level of quality you wish for, and don't be afraid to request from someone who doesn't seem very busy. Not everyone runs a full time costume shop like we do, and thus not all the best people are always busy. The people offering to you on this forum are some of the best, and you shouldn't be nervous about requesting from them just because they don't have a super-professional website or something. ^_^ Support the cosplay community!

-Ryan Williams
Limebarb.com
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2003, 05:40 AM   #13
venus2869
ConMom &amp;amp; Miracle Worker

As for the "Modify clothing" part, HIT GARAGE SALES & THRIFT/RESALE STORES!!

My entire Jill Valentine costume from a resale shop for under $15!! The only thing I had to do to it was hand paint the badges on the shoulders(and that was even easier when I use a T-shirt transfer for a guide).

They can be great resources for items and for accessories!
venus2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2003, 08:31 AM   #14
Famira Damaris
Oekaki Whore

Quote:
To those who Taylor costumes...how complex or expensive would you expect it to be for somebody to throw together a costume like this?

http://www.gundam-seed.net/character/images/asran1.gif
http://www.gundam-seed.net/character/images/nicol1.gif
http://www.gundam-seed.net/character/images/izark1.gif
http://www.gundam-seed.net/character...s/diattka1.gif

Namely a Red Zaft pilot's military uniform from Gundam Seed.

This year, aside from my "Haro", my costume was very much thrown together with various store bought items. It worked for the time (and ended up being the only outfit I had for 3 days when I unexpectedly roomed with a friend x.o) but if possible, I'd like to pull off something a little more elaborate and detailed (and if I could get this costume, I'd be able to switch between 3 different wings and one scar to be a different char each day). I'm not making any definate requests yet, but I'm curious as to if it'd be possible.
If it's a commission, maybe $200--$250-$300 range...? Depends what material you want, how quickly and how detailed. You're also paying for their time. There's a list of some commissioners somewhere. *searches* I'll post it up when I find it. ^^

And just to expand on the tips about cosplay commissions - get lots of reference pictures! XD Especially if they're obscure characters: don't expect the commissioner to always know the character. Sides of front, back, side and details are always good.

If you're going to modify something...er...dunno. Making it is usually the cheapest route, but unless you're comfortable with sewing, is probably the hardest. xX;

Last edited by Famira Damaris : 06-03-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Famira Damaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #15
keitaro849

Quote:
Originally posted by RedPikachu
you can request costumes from people who make costumes...like me ^_^

I made the pimp ash/poke hos costumes and I made a Jr. (Xenosaga) costume this year for acen....
can you make me one?
keitaro849 is offline   Reply With Quote