Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Pink Wings

Question Liquid eyeliner that's actually waterproof?

Up until know, I've always used (waterproof) eye pencils but for an upcoming cosplay photoshoot I would like to do some special effects with my eye make-up and I really can't do that with an eye pencil (I can't draw those really thin and precise lines I need with an eye pencil), I need a liquid eyeliner for that.

A good liquid eyeliner that's waterproof, does anyone know an online store that sells it? I asked the make-up shops in my city and they didn't have it and one shop even said that waterproof liquid eyeliner doesn't even exist...Is this true? My eyes sometimes get kinda teary so using a non-waterproof liquid eyeliner is out of the question...
Pink Wings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I've never heard of such a thing, or seen it even in theatrical shops. Have you tried Googling for it?

If you don't find any, you may want to consider a tricks that's apparently pretty common to get those fancy j-rock faces: take an eyeliner pencil and hold it briefly in a lighter's flame. It melts it a bit, which allows for a sharper liquid-like line.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
SpiffyNerd
Dochi-ga?

Almost all liquid eyeliner is waterproof...I don't know what those places are talking about.

I used Maybelline's Ultra Liner at my last con as lipstick. xD It's because I had this crayon which worked fine on my eyes but was neither dark enough nor had enough staying power for my lips, so I just painted my lips with eyeliner and I only needed to touch up once after I decided that--even after eating!

Here's a link to buy some from Drugstore.com.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...dFilter= 4993
SpiffyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Doctor Blind

I love Maybelline eyeliner - it's never really smudged for me. 8D;

Faris (FFV)
Felix (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
Flora (Professor Layton & The Curious Village)
Doctor Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Phoenix Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
If you don't find any, you may want to consider a tricks that's apparently pretty common to get those fancy j-rock faces: take an eyeliner pencil and hold it briefly in a lighter's flame. It melts it a bit, which allows for a sharper liquid-like line.
That's pretty interesting. I'd like to try that out, since I prefer using a pencil to the liquid stuff.

It probably exists if they make waterproof mascarra, but I've never tried it. I was wondering though, if it wouldn't flake after awhile? There was a person I knew who would always wear heavy liquid eyeliner, but I noticed that it would start to flake off after a few hours.
Phoenix Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
SpiffyNerd
Dochi-ga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Feather View Post
I was wondering though, if it wouldn't flake after awhile? There was a person I knew who would always wear heavy liquid eyeliner, but I noticed that it would start to flake off after a few hours.
It didn't flake on my lips. I only needed to reapply after lunch. I've never noticed it flaking--maybe they had a bad brand, or something?

EDIT.

Quote from the Drugstore.com link I posted ^:

Quote:
Tapered brush all day wear

* Contact lens safe
* Allergy tested
* Safe for sensitive eyes
* Waterproof
* Smudge-proof
* Won't fade or flake

Made in U.S.A.
SpiffyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Pink Wings

Thanks for the advice, everyone. This Maybelline's Ultra Liner sounds good, I think I will try that.
Pink Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
so lyke raaawr
SpicaReplay

Maybeline liquid eyeliner is really good =)
And for flaking I wouldt suggest try putting a bit pf pencil and layer the liquid stuff over it.
so lyke raaawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Agate

there's something calles Kissed Me eyeliner
http://www.blincinc.com/us/kiss_me_eyeliner.php
I hear good things about it, but I haven't had the chance to try yet. The Kiss Me brand also makes a non-smudge waterproof mascara that washes off with warm water and a little light pressure, which I HAVE tried and love to pieces. It comes off very cleanly, and stays on all day, even if i went swimming (provided I didn't rub at my eyes). So if the eyeliner is anything like the mascara, it should be nothing less than fantastic.

Last edited by Agate : 02-21-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Agate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Curucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyNerd View Post
Almost all liquid eyeliner is waterproof...I don't know what those places are talking about.

I used Maybelline's Ultra Liner at my last con as lipstick. xD It's because I had this crayon which worked fine on my eyes but was neither dark enough nor had enough staying power for my lips, so I just painted my lips with eyeliner and I only needed to touch up once after I decided that--even after eating!

Here's a link to buy some from Drugstore.com.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...dFilter= 4993
I've got this stuff in grey and it IS waterproof. A royal pain to get off, even with makeup remover.
Unread 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

Local drug stores sell liquid eyeliner thats called H2O. I know I got mine at rite aid. Maybelline waterproof liquid eyeliner works well too, which is also sold at local drug stores.
In the works: Sora, KHII | InuYasha, InuYasha | Rogue, X-Men

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Norwegian
Myuuur. :B

I've heard lots of good things about the Maybelline kind that others are recommending, but I personally use Covergirl LineExact. I've showered in the stuff before and it barely came off. XD It's very long-lasting and easy to draw with.
Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
NBT

Don't really think there is "waterproof" eyeliners since you kinda of wash the eyeliner away with water? Most of the liquid-eyeliner are kind of waterproof to cold water, but if you touch it you'll smudge it (obvious xD)

I'm a dude so don't blame me if I'm wrong D:
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

that waterproof liquid stuff mentioned earlier is the only waterproof liquid i've tried and it stays on for forever. the other kind i had was water soluble but didn't smudge at all if you touched it.

but for pencils, id doesn't matter for me. what i usually buy stays very well, but does have the ability to smudge.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #15
Kativa-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulSpirit View Post
Local drug stores sell liquid eyeliner thats called H2O. I know I got mine at rite aid. Maybelline waterproof liquid eyeliner works well too, which is also sold at local drug stores.
I use the H2O as well. That's the best you can use, I believe, because it's REALLY waterproof. It can be pouring rain and it'll stay on, and won't smudge at all.

Upcoming Cons
AnimeBoston, AnimeNext, Otakon, Connecticon, AUSA, NYAF, Nekocon, Zenkaicon, Manganext
Kativa-chan is offline   Reply With Quote