Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Razia
*whistles*

Fake blood?

I know this has probably been asked before, but I did a quick search and didn't find exactly the kind of info I was looking for, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I actually need two types of fake blood ..

Some for my face: pretty self-explanatory. I'm not sure if I'd have time to order any from an online store, so recipes would be nice. I tried doing it with corn syrup, mixed with water and cocoa (and red food coloring, duh =P), it was a recipe I found online, but it kinda beaded over the make-up and wasn't very opaque. Basically, it didn't look right--there are pics of it in my gallery under "Walter Sullivan make-up test". Also, the fact that it was sticky made it kind of a pain, but maybe there's no getting away from that.

Some for my clothes: I want something that will stay permanently on fabric and won't rub off and especially something that won't loosen up in the wash and turn the whole garment pinkish. I considered acryllic paint, but that'd probably be too opaque--I guess something to stain it would be better. Food coloring mixed with something, maybe?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Planned costumes for MAGfest, 2008:
Elena/Reno (with the b/f)
Walter Sullivan (from Silent Hill 4)

Costumes I'll hopefully get around to some day, but God only knows when:
Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Milla/Sasha (with the b/f--from Psychonauts)
Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas)
(subject to change ... repeatedly =P)
Razia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
MissDragonblade
Ignore the "Miss."

Well, the recipie I have is similar, but without the water, and the cocoa is Choco syrup.

For your clothes, maybe you could try coagulated blood?

Semi-active on cosplay.com
Please contact me via Facebook@ Dragonblade Cosplay
or Tumblr@ Dragonblade
MissDragonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Razia
*whistles*

For the clothing, I may experiment with splattering red fabric dye--can't believe I didn't think of that before. Tho I'm not sure the fabric I'm using is cotton or not. I basically want blood stains, and not anything bright red or shiny, as that would look fake (especially on dark blue fabric).

Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I've used foodcoloring for clothing bloodstains before. Actually, it was foodcoloring mixed with black fountain pen ink. It looked nice, but I generally don't reccomend it. Foodcoloring is designed to be nonwaterproof. I found that even a little bit of sweat caused it to bleed.

I generally use acrylic paint for bloodstained fabric. But by chance, I've been usually needing the fresh blood wet-look lately, so opacity was not a concern. I suspect you can get that more blended effect just by thinning down the paint with water. It'll also make the paint bleed out into a more natural pattern before it dries. I can't garantee this method though, so do some tests on fabric scraps. As far as not wanting it shiny, by using it sparingly it won't have any shine to it. You can further prevent the issue by using "matte" acrylic paint.

Concerning your face blood. It sounds like you didn't add nearly enough pigment. For cosplay, you usually don't want to add water as you want the blood to more or less stay in place, as opposed to being more drippy like real blood. As far as the beading, that's not an uncommon problem. I believe you can improve that by adding a bit of dish-soap, but this makes it no longer edible, and surprisingly it may increase the chances of it staining (I keep meaning to test this theory). Skipping the water should probably also help.

Good luck!
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Razia
*whistles*

It's too bad that food coloring wouldn't work--the stuff looks just like blood to me when there's a drop of it sitting on the counter or your finger or whatever.

I should have considered watered-down acrylic paint. I'll definitely experiment with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Concerning your face blood. It sounds like you didn't add nearly enough pigment. For cosplay, you usually don't want to add water as you want the blood to more or less stay in place, as opposed to being more drippy like real blood.
Oh crap, that's a good point. I think the website I got it off of had LARPing in mind.

Quote:
As far as the beading, that's not an uncommon problem. I believe you can improve that by adding a bit of dish-soap, but this makes it no longer edible, and surprisingly it may increase the chances of it staining (I keep meaning to test this theory). Skipping the water should probably also help.
Thanks, I'll try that stuff. As a last resort, I've got some blood capsules from Halloween awhile back that I might be able to use. I haven't used them in a very long time, but I seem to recall that the result looks surprisingly good--not sure how long it lasts, tho.

Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
playsmart

I am needing help with a Lillith from True Blood costume. I am looking for ideas for fake blood on skin only. I want a soaked in blood and dripping look all over the body. What will stick to skin and look somewhat similar to fresh blood? Also is there any prep I can use for the skin so it won't stain the skin red for a long time after it is removed?
playsmart is offline   Reply With Quote