Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Enkai
Spiffy!

Temporary false nails-what kinds and where to buy

I'm working on a costume of Queen Beryl from the Sailor Moon musical La Reconquista (one of the recent ones), and I am trying to figure out what to do about her nails. The actress doesn't have claw nails, but they are long, dark purple/black, and pointy. Stilleto point I think is the term? I'm not sure.

I'm trying to find ones I can wear for a day and remove-maybe wear later, but that's not necessary so long as they are cheap enough. The one day wear is the important thing. Whether the be false or my actual nails, having my nails that long for more than the time in one costume would drive me crazy.

The problem is, I am not sure if the nails I am finding on my shopping searches fit that qualification. Can anyone help? I'm sure it comes down to adhesive, so if somebody can recommend a glue that I can remove after a day without soaking my hands in acetone for an hour, that would also work. Would spirit gum or eyelash adhesive work, or would that react poorly with my nails/the false nails?

Next Events
Nor Cal Summer Cosplay Gathering
Minna no Anime Halloween Party
ALA 2016
Fanime 2016

Last edited by Enkai : 04-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Enkai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Do you mean nails like these?
I Googled how she looks and those all look very similar!

Honestly, the uncomfortable-ness of getting prosthetic nails applied on your actual nails is not worth it for just one cosplay, at least not to me.

I do not know if you are willing to buy these from online sources but if you are, taking a peek at that Etsy search link is totally worth it!

This seller in particular has many blank stiletto false nail sets and everyone loves them!

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou - 20% Complete!
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou - In progress!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement - 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Maybe you can diy your own press on nails. I don't know if they make press ons in stiletto shapes but maybe you can get nail tips, apply them to press ons and at the end of the day just take them off.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #4
Enkai
Spiffy!

I realize now I don't have a super clear reference shot of her hands. One of those cases where I have watched the video a bunch to get the idea of what is going on.

Most close up, you can see the tips come to a point if you look at them. This is my ultimate wig and makeup reference.

Best of I got really showing the overall length of the nails.

Milky Bubbles - Online has been mostly what I have been looking at. Those do look like the sort of nails I need. Do you know off-hand if the glue listed will allow me to take the nails off after I'm done wearing the costume? I will ask a question as well.

I do like the DIY idea as a back-up option.. So press-on's are the correct nail I need? I was looking up those specifically, and the stiletto nails I found all had fancy paint jobs and glitter and sequins that are not going to work for my costume. If it wasn't for the glitter and sequins, I could just repaint them, but I wasn't having any luck.

Next Events
ALA 2016
Fanime 2016
Unread 04-29-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
Touya no miko
TnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za7NRbqxSxQ

Here's a link for a DIY.

If you plan to do this with press on nails, you'll have to be careful when handling them since the glue is pretty weak. I use fake nails for my lolita, but I can't stand wearing them for so long. I also don't want to risk damaging the design by soaking it in nail polish remover. Instead of glue, I use these adhesive nail tabs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nailene-Ul...-24ct/20648019

They have a stronger hold than press-ons, but still easy to take off.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Oops, I meant to reply last night but I went right to sleep!

I agree with Touya, I would use adhesive nail tabs versus the glue that is sent in the package for those nails.
All the times I've use fake nails, those tabs were a lot more comfortable(and easy to apply/deal with) than glues.

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou - 20% Complete!
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou - In progress!

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Worn to Animazement 2015!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
*Animazement - 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
shewhodrawscats
Certified Hugger

So glad I found this thread-- my poor girlfriend requires claws for one costume, and she has very small fingernails. I was terrified to use the glue because I've never had any luck with those things, but I'd never even thought of the adhesives. Hopefully, those'll be able to come off much easier, without ruining the claws I had to paint and without ruining her natural nails!
Belle - 80%

Upcoming / Planning:
Belle (Once Upon a Time, Blue Dress) - Planning
Marianne (Strange Magic) - Planning
shewhodrawscats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Enkai
Spiffy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewhodrawscats View Post
So glad I found this thread-- my poor girlfriend requires claws for one costume, and she has very small fingernails. I was terrified to use the glue because I've never had any luck with those things, but I'd never even thought of the adhesives. Hopefully, those'll be able to come off much easier, without ruining the claws I had to paint and without ruining her natural nails!
FYI, I finally got my nails right for ALA, and the press-on nail stickers leave you pretty much helpless. It was nice and easy to paint those instead of my nails, and the looked great. They almost come off too easily, however. Without going into too much detail, I couldn't go to the bathroom without losing nails. Washing my hands after, the water also wrecked the adhesive so I couldn't stick the ones I lost back on.

In the future, I think what I am going to do is paint my nails the same color underneath, carry the adhesive tips around with me, and just put them on when I have a photo shoot. The adhesive stickers I got (from Sally Beauty) didn't take any polish off the false nails (which I did paint with a topcoat to prevent chipping); I think that will work in the future.

Next Events
ALA 2016
Fanime 2016
Unread 01-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

How well would the adhesive tabs work on false nails of a shorter length?

I can't wear nail polish at all (it causes the layers of my nail to separate in the middle and start peeling...not fun, and it takes months to grow them back out to where all the layers are together again), but I've considered trying false nails just for cosplay so that I can have coordinating nails that match my costume and are maybe a bit less ugly in photos. Understandably, I'm worried about nails that would need to be glued on, since my nails clearly can't take any sort of abuse like that, and I thought that the adhesive tabs would probably be gentle enough on my nails that I wouldn't have too many issues.

Is the problem more that the nails you have are too long and unwieldy for the adhesive tabs to hold them on, or do you think the adhesive is too weak to hold on even nails of a shorter length? I've never handled them before, and don't want to go out and buy some if they won't work for me. I'd be wearing them for shorter periods -- up to a day, but more likely just a few hours.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
How well would the adhesive tabs work on false nails of a shorter length?

I can't wear nail polish at all (it causes the layers of my nail to separate in the middle and start peeling...not fun, and it takes months to grow them back out to where all the layers are together again), but I've considered trying false nails just for cosplay so that I can have coordinating nails that match my costume and are maybe a bit less ugly in photos. Understandably, I'm worried about nails that would need to be glued on, since my nails clearly can't take any sort of abuse like that, and I thought that the adhesive tabs would probably be gentle enough on my nails that I wouldn't have too many issues.

Is the problem more that the nails you have are too long and unwieldy for the adhesive tabs to hold them on, or do you think the adhesive is too weak to hold on even nails of a shorter length? I've never handled them before, and don't want to go out and buy some if they won't work for me. I'd be wearing them for shorter periods -- up to a day, but more likely just a few hours.
Adhesive tabs work fine for short length and long length fake nails. "Claw-length" nails might be too "heavy" for some adhesive tabs. What one should do to get the most out of the adhesive tabs is to prep their nails. This goes beyond simply "washing your hands". Wiping your bare nails down using acetone or nail polish remover will remove any oils, debris, etc. which will allow for a better bond between the adhesive and your nail. I use adhesive tabs with custom nail sets I made and they (as well as store-bought press-on nails) seem to stay secure all day until I am ready to remove them for the night. They probably would stay on a second day but I was not wearing the same cosplay so there was no need to keep them on.

Another alternative to nail polish that would be longer-lasting than press-on nails/adhesive tabs is nail wraps. One of my colleagues sells Jamberry, though there are many brands out there, and I must say that they are pretty amazing. I work constantly with my hands and regular manicures lasted maybe a day, but nail wraps will keep looking good up to 2 weeks. One of my favorite styles is the French manicure. It looks salon-perfect and I don't need to worry about chipping and they do not damage the natural nail. Basically all you need to apply them is a hair dryer, tiny scissors, and 2 orange sticks and there are many eBay sellers selling nail wraps at reduced prices. Just a thought.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Jadis - Chronicles of Narnia | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Baroness - G.I. Joe | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill |
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #11
Enkai
Spiffy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post

The length was a big part of my problem. I was going for more of a claw look, and they stayed on okay until I needed to use the bathroom. My pants for said costume were leggings, so fairly thick and tight-fitting. I could not pull them down without fabric getting caught in the claws and basically prying them off. Shorter nails I don't think would have quite that problem.

Next Events
ALA 2016
Fanime 2016
Unread 02-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Awesome, thanks for the advice, you two!

I'm a bit worried with how badly my nails can react to polish to use acetone on them, though. I'd also be wary of the wraps, since my nails aren't in great condition (they tend to have a lot of pitting, and I'm afraid the wrap wouldn't work well over a surface that isn't smooth), and I'd want to possibly change nail styles for different costumes.

But if the adhesive tabs would work better on shorter nails, I'll give that a try and hope for the best (and hope the adhesive doesn't do anything weird to the surface of my nails!).
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote