Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Matching makeup to a bodysuit

Hey everyone. Not sure if this should go in makeup or fabric craft... but anyway.

I am working on a cosplay that requires me to have white skin. I considered a body/zentai suit, but the costume is quite... busty and I wouldn't have the same cleavage effect if my chest is covered in fabric, so I think what I am going to do is get white tights and use body paint for my face, upper arms, chest, etc. I have never had to match body paint to fabric before though, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Is there a particular fabric or makeup brand I should look for?

This would be so much easier if I had an airbrush, but alas, I do not.

Please consider donating to the Relay for Life, which I will be participating in on June 12th, 2015! Donate Here!

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Rinner

There was some discussion about this in an earlier thread that might be helpful.

Could you post a character photo so we can help better?
Unread 02-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Thanks for the link! It's not quite what I'm looking for, as they are mostly discussing how to hide seams between fabric and paint, and I won't really have that problem. I just don't want my lower and upper half to be different shades of white lol But I appreciate it nonetheless

I guess I could post a picture. It's for my big secret project, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to post it here lol

It's hard to find good reference images on google (most of mine are actual screenshots, but I'm at work and they're on my home PC) But I tried to find one that shows off what I mean about the cleavage lol A body suit would just look weird. The skin colour is consistent though, as you can see here, sort of:

Please consider donating to the Relay for Life, which I will be participating in on June 12th, 2015! Donate Here!

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
lemuries

I seem to remember there being a problem with flash photography; the light seems to permeate makeup differently than cloth, so, if I remember correctly, you could look accurate to the eye or to the camera, but not both.

Then again, I mostly ever worked with krylon's aquacolor. Maybe something like Pax would serve you better, both in longevity and opacity. I've yet to work with it, so I can't speak to how well you could make it resemble fabric, even if there is no eye/flash disparity.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
lemuries

I know some people are quite adverse, but maybe you could look into making a latex shirt, since it could be very capable of handling, let's call them, the "complex curves" of the project. The downsides would be: the cost, the fussiness of latex, any latex allergy you might have, the sweat generation, and where the edge would be (neck line in particular).

Just something else to explore, because I agree with you, Garuda needs a ridiculous amount of cleavage to be accurate.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
Belfry

I'm working on a similar project, but in yellow. The character wears a short sleeve dress, so my current plan is to use the zentai suit for the arms and legs, and remove the chest and neck from it and use body paint for that area instead. I'm also wondering how to make the two match colors for both in person and photos, though.
Belfry is offline   Reply With Quote