Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 08-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Teamackles

Gamora paint

I decided to cosplay as Gamora from the new gotg movie for dragon con and I'm having a big run in with getting my skin green. I don't have access to airbrush, and it seems expensive to get done plus I need to be able to do it multiple times over a couple of days. I need body paint alternatives that can cover from my waist up (including arms) somewhat cheaply and also not melt off during the con. It's short notice, but if there are good body paints that can be shipped within the next week, I can try that out.
Teamackles is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
SuperSushi

I recommend Kryolan Aquacolor -- I just got some myself for a GotG cosplay (I'm doing The Collector's Assistant) and it's incredible. Mehron is another good company to go with. I haven't used their body paint, but their make-up in general is pretty impressive. You'll need finishing powder or setting spray if you really want to make sure it doesn't rub off, no matter which brand you go with.
SuperSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Here's some great info on the makeup they used for the movie. I suspect they may have used the same cake makeup used on Elphaba from "Wicked".
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
redsheep

According to Entertainment, they achieved the makeup with airbrush and a green MAC makeup, which is most likely MAC Chromacake in Landscape Green. Which is, like said, the green used for Elphaba. They use this on her hands too, and if you watch behind the scenes footage, you'll see that it gets everywhere, even powdered and sprayed with sealer. I say if possible, look into making armsocks for the arms. Having been grey for Homestuck many times, being painted from the waist up is HORRIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE. They're an ass to make, but well worth it if you like being able to touch stuff. [Tutorial] You could sew them to the arm holes of the top if you're doing the sleeveless version and then use whatever you use on your face for your face, chest, and the back of your neck. For the face I suggest a Ben Nye or Mehron cream makeup (I'm looking into the Mehron Starblend and Creamblend Stick for Elphaba, who is the same shade of green) as well as colorless setting powder and Ben Nye final seal. Absoluuuutely use final seal, whatever makeup you go with.

If you are adverse to the armsocks, you could also look into PAX for your arms which is another film industry staple. I haven't used it myself, but you can find some great reviews online. It's reeeeaaaally hard to get off tho. Like, really.

Last edited by redsheep : 08-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
mertlez

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
If you are adverse to the armsocks, you could also look into PAX for your arms which is another film industry staple. I haven't used it myself, but you can find some great reviews online. It's reeeeaaaally hard to get off tho. Like, really.
Almost every makeup manufacturer recommends a specific makeup remover. And it really is worthwhile to buy the recommended makeup remover. It's not that your generic makeup remover won't work...you just might have to put more time and effort into getting the makeup off than if you had used the remover specifically formulated for the makeup you're wearing. PAX paints, for example, recommends using Pros-Aide & PAX Remover by ADMtronics or Beta Solv by Premiere Products.
mertlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertlez View Post
Almost every makeup manufacturer recommends a specific makeup remover. And it really is worthwhile to buy the recommended makeup remover. It's not that your generic makeup remover won't work...you just might have to put more time and effort into getting the makeup off than if you had used the remover specifically formulated for the makeup you're wearing. PAX paints, for example, recommends using Pros-Aide & PAX Remover by ADMtronics or Beta Solv by Premiere Products.
Yeah, and even with that stuff it takes some elbow grease, but no where near as much.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Sweet Loretta

There so many threads on body painting, even recent that will help you. Don't forget there are a lot of good vendors at Dragoncon - stop by the Wolfe booth and ask about body paint.

You can use a blending brush to get a nice base then I go Wolfe or Paradise with Kryolan areosol Fixing Spray on top.

Call any local costume shops and see what they carry - could be you find Kryolan and Kryolan Fixing Spray. Or you may find Mehron or Ben Nye pressed cake makeup which you use a sweat barrier under not over. And as someone noted you could use a pan stick like Mehron CreamStick...this makeup needs to be powdered over the top not sealed with spray.

I paint a lot of people head to toe and have never had a model or client tell me the paint was uncomfortable. Applied correctly body paint is a simply a thin layer and with a top fixing spray like Kryolan it will stay put and last all day. Then later up with something like baby shampoo wait a minute or two and wash off in the shower. Be sure to be careful and not make a mess of a hotel shower. Cream makeup is removed with cold cream.

PAX developed for painting props not people is fading out of the industryas airbrush makeup and new alcohol activated makeup takes over. PAX is really only popular in the cosplay community, it works but is an old school method. Overall it just too much of a hassle. Alcohol activated works but best used not for full body applications again just too much hassle to use it over such a large area. Most artists would just move to airbrush for full body.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
ladylada
Stark Raving Sane

If you don't want to spend a ton on professional makeup, there're a few DIY options, too. I'm going to be cosplaying a different green-toned character in a couple of weeks, and I'll be using a mix of body lotion, white poster paint, and food coloring. It takes a bit to dry, but once it does, it's virtually transfer-proof. You can use aerosol hairspray to seal it, if you want a little extra assurance that it'll stay put. Another option is to use food coloring and hand sanitizer, which dries faster but has more translucent results. It makes for a great watercolor effect, though!

The best part about both of these? They come right off with soap and water!
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #9
dizydesi

Ladylada, I'm anxious to hear how your lotion, poster paint & food dye mixture turned out. I haven't heard of that before. I have heard of mixing lotion with Mehron liquid paint (1:1 ratio), but I haven't tried it personally.

Let me know how it went!
dizydesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Sweet Loretta

Mixing (hand/body) lotion with Mehron Liquid would make the makeup aka paint less durable.
Use Mehron Mixing Liquid that makes it more durable.

One need not spend a ton but you are going to spend $10 to $25 to do a full body with makeup and sealers. I could do this character in full body makeup for $10 or less easy.

Green is the main staining color in the makeup family.........if you use food dye plan on really being stained green for days!

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com

Last edited by Sweet Loretta : 02-17-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylada View Post
If you don't want to spend a ton on professional makeup, there're a few DIY options, too. I'm going to be cosplaying a different green-toned character in a couple of weeks, and I'll be using a mix of body lotion, white poster paint, and food coloring. It takes a bit to dry, but once it does, it's virtually transfer-proof. You can use aerosol hairspray to seal it, if you want a little extra assurance that it'll stay put. Another option is to use food coloring and hand sanitizer, which dries faster but has more translucent results. It makes for a great watercolor effect, though!

The best part about both of these? They come right off with soap and water!
I would be so worried about mixing actual paint with anything and putting it on my skin. Maybe poster paint is different but I've seen at least one cosplayer who used a normal art paint instead of body paint and his skin couldn't breath so he was burning up all day. If this is a known method though I'm sure it's fine, but having personal experience with paint (especially acrylic) it's not something I'd want to put on myself at all, much less large areas.

Though if it's as transfer-proof as you say, I may end up having to look into it. Arm sleeves aren't an option for my character as she wears nothing but tank-tops that have loose sleeves so I wouldn't be able to really attach them to anything without it being obvious or hidden like a regular sleeve.
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote