Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
SpiffyNerd
Dochi-ga?

Acne Control/Skincare Discussion

This isn't a question, so much as a thread for people to discuss methods of acne control.

Everyone has different skin--but surely, if a fan is searching desperately to cure the tomato-sized pimple on her nose the night before she cosplays Mana at Costume-Con, if she's got a whole thread of acne cures to test, SOMETHING will undoubtably work.

Please, when listing cures, use a brand name, and a link to buy it if possible!
Bad example: "I use zit cream."
Good example: "I use Clearasil Ultra Tinted Acne Treatment Cream, which can be found here."

Here's a form you can fill out when replying. Please keep off-topic to a minimum, this is meant to be a resource, not a discussion thread. (PS - some of the questions may seem weird, but they really do affect what kind of acne cures work for you! If you don't want to answer a question, feel free to leave it blank)

Quote:
  • Skin Type - Dry, Oily, or Average?:
  • Age Range:
  • Problem Acne Areas:
  • Daily Skincare Ritual:
  • Skincare During a Breakout Ritual:
  • 'Emergency' Skincare Ritual:
  • Additional Advice:
I'll go first.
  • Skin Type - Dry, Oily, or Average?: Average. I rarely get zits, I'm pretty lucky. ;D
  • Age Range: Teens.
  • Gender: Female. And I get more zits during my time of the month.
  • Race: Caucasian.
  • Problem Acne Areas: Forehead (behind my bangs), left temple, nose, chin
  • Daily Skincare Ritual: I just wash my face once at night.
  • Skincare During a Breakout Ritual: I wash and dry my face, then I apply Neutrogena Oil-Free 60 Second Mask Scrub pretty thickly and only on problem areas, then I do my other bathroom things, like brush my teeth, use the toilet, etc. When I'm done (usually more than a minute, which makes the scrub come off easier), I use a white wet washcloth to remove the scrub. After that, I use Clearasil Ultra Tinted Acne Treatment Cream fairly thickly (not bothering with blending--you could use non-tinted if you wanted, tinted is just what I have) on the problem areas.
  • 'Emergency' Skincare Ritual: I apply the scrub and cream as before, but in between the scrub and cream I apply some lemon juice with a Q-tip.
  • Additional Advice: I haven't used it myself, but apparently the Zeno really works. It's hella expensive, though.
SpiffyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Cats10
Arrrrrrrr

Ah I may as well fill this out, I have nothing else to do. xD.

Skin Type - Dry, Oily, or Average?: A weird Combination skin, Oily nose and upper cheek but dry else where.
Age Range: Teens.
Race: Caucasian
Problem Acne Areas: Chin, forehead, Jaw line
Daily Skincare Ritual: Just a good cleaning with my Biore pore minimizer cleanser at night. Sometimes the exfoliator by the same name if I get the time. (I really don't do much because I rarely get zits, mostly little red dots that go away after time and foundation covers them up easily)
Skincare During a Breakout Ritual: I do as above, making sure to use my exfoliator, and I also use my Oxypads after cleaning, moisturize, then finish off with some tooth paste on the big zits.
'Emergency' Skincare Ritual: I don't really have a emergency other then "poping" the worst of the zits (Don't worry I use two clean Q-tips and stop when blood appears) If really really needed, I usually avoid doing it like the plague.
Additional Advice: None really =3.
Cats10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
DeviousMousie

Skin Type - Dry, Oily, or Average?: Dry to Average; my jawline and around my eyebrows tends to be dry but everywhere else it pretty normal

Age Range:Tedult? XD College
Race: Caucasian
Problem Acne Areas: Usually my chin and nose, nothing else really
Daily Skincare Ritual: I use St.Ives Make-up Remover and Facial Cleanser once daily in the shower. Once weekly I use a Biore pore strip on my nose and St.Ives Apricot Scrub as well as their Mineral Mask
Skincare During a Breakout Ritual: Not much changes. I tend to keep to the same routine which usually controls break-outs pretty well
[b]'Emergency' Skincare Ritual:[/i] Toothpaste! I mean it! Mint toothpaste on a zit will dry it out overnight and if applied while still small will keep it from getting bigger.
Additional Advice: As an actress I cannot stress the importance of a proper make-up remover and some cotton balls. I personally love Bill Nye make-up remover, even if it's made for stage make-up, it gets the make-up off quickly so you're not fussing with it forever. Also...no touchie the facey! Change pillow-cases often...blah, blah, blah.
DeviousMousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
[S]
My Custom User Title

# Skin Type: DRY
# Age Range: Late teens
# Gender: Male
# Race: Asian
# Problem Acne Areas: Jawline and my right cheek which tends to dry and flake(I usually sleep on this side and I can't help it)
# Daily Skincare Ritual: After waking up, at noon, and before bed I wash my face with Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser and use moisturizer afterwards.
# Skincare During a Breakout Ritual: Basically the same except I use more of the products.
# Additional Advice: If possible, change your pillow sheet daily(or flip it over and use the other side for another night then change it) I found it helped out alot more than I thought.

I'm still having a few problems with dry/flakiness particularly on my cheeks so any advice is appreciated...
[S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
DeviousMousie

Quote:
Originally Posted by [S] View Post
I'm still having a few problems with dry/flakiness particularly on my cheeks so any advice is appreciated...

Have you ever tried a cortisone cream? Or maybe regular body lotion? Sometimes facial moisturizers can only do so much. You also might want to consider applying it more than once. I know that sometimes in the winter and summer the eczema on my jaw will get really bad and applying cortisone or even just a moisturizer up to three times a day will at least take the redness out if not get it to go away completely. Also, Bare Essentials has a really great moisturizer that goes along with their make-up. If all else, give that a try, though it does tend to be a little greasy.
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
[S]
My Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousMousie View Post
Have you ever tried a cortisone cream? Or maybe regular body lotion? Sometimes facial moisturizers can only do so much. You also might want to consider applying it more than once. I know that sometimes in the winter and summer the eczema on my jaw will get really bad and applying cortisone or even just a moisturizer up to three times a day will at least take the redness out if not get it to go away completely. Also, Bare Essentials has a really great moisturizer that goes along with their make-up. If all else, give that a try, though it does tend to be a little greasy.
I moisturize about three times a day so I'm guessing it's the moisturizer I'm using. I've been using some Nivea body cream for a while now and it doesn't seem to work much, so maybe I'll see some change if I switch moisturizers.
Thanks for the advice, next time I go to the store I'll keep an eye out for a cortisone cream.
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
NotAnotherExit

Skin Type - Dry, mostly. Fairly average forehead though.

Age Range: College

Race: Caucassian

Problem Acne Areas: When I get them, above my right eye. Not a very frequent occurance, but when I'm stressed out.

Daily Skincare Ritual: I just use a regular bar of soap to wash my face in the shower each morning (well, more like five or six days a week. Inevitably I'll be late or work/class and have to do without). Also, I apply cocoa butter to keep my face from drying out in the winter.

Skincare During a Breakout Ritual: "Break out" means one or two zits, aye? I'll pop it/them (q-tips and only until it bleeds, like on the Tyra Banks Show.) and apply cocoa butter, so it doesn't peel.

'Emergency' Skincare Ritual: Cocoa butter and Q-tips, though I'm not above peroxide if I think it's going to be red and angry.

Additional Advice: Don't touch your face. It's the number one way to give yourself bad acne. Also, drink plenty of water. It really does help!
Xigbar (Kingdom Hearts) (95%) ** Kai Subawara (Yakitate! Japan) (10%)
NotAnotherExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

# Skin Type - Dry, Oily, or Average?: Dry
# Age Range: Early 20's
# Gender:Female
# Race: Caucasian
# Problem Acne Areas: I don't really have any problem areas, my zits usually come in the odd place at the odd time. Never in clusters though.
# Daily Skincare Ritual:I've tried many things, but honestly, I just wash my face with hot water while taking my daily shower. That's it.
# Skincare During a Breakout Ritual:Like I said, I don't really get breakouts.
# 'Emergency' Skincare Ritual:Never needed an emergency skincare ritual.
# Additional Advice:
Alright, so many people have a huge problem with acne on their faces, and it's becomming more and more common for people to get breakouts on other areas of the body.
There are many reasons why people break out, women in particular tend to have the problem worse. I shall list the leading causes in acne.

1: DIET
Are you a junk food junkie? Got acne? If the main areas of acne for you is your cheeks and t-zone (up the bridge of your nose and forehead) then that means that you have an improper diet. Anything greasey, full of sugar, processed foods, and the most effecting food type (most people don't even realize this) is dairy. All of these foods cause an enzyme imbalance within your body, and to expell the build-up of toxins, your body does it mostly through the pores of your skin. To see for sure if this is your problem, give yourself a three week challenge. Week one, keep a food diary to see just what exactly you've been pushing into your gullet. And for the two weeks after that, try to change your diet to exclude those four main types of food. Stick to natural foods like vegetables, cut back on how much salt you consume, no more fast food! If you don't like to cook, find some easy-to-do recipes that are still healthy and natural. Like candy and chocolate? Switch your daily chocolate bar with your favourite fruit in season. Chocolate was never meant to be a daily food item, but instead, an occassional treat. If you LOVE your milk, replace it with a bottle of water. Water is the best possible way to cut down on your acne as it cleans the system of toxins and helps your body to stay hydrated, and to function properly. Of course, this change of diet does not mean cut out carbs and calories. Carbs are important for providing your body with energy for doing it's miraculous tasks, icluding healing your skin.

2: CHEMICAL IMBALANCES
Regardless of what people use for excuses. Ance is NOT cause by genes. It is not an inheritable trait but the outcome of an unhealthy lifestyle. For women however, during or before their monthly visits from Aunt Flow. They can have breakouts. Many women take birth control pills to counteract this occurance, however, in truth, taking BCPs can cause a mountain of side-effects that are worse that acne. You're body has the ability to regnerate itself, fight off bacteria and illnesses, and fix anything in your body that causes those chemical imbalances. Often, I've seen chemical imbalances co-inside with heavy weights. My ultimate solution to that is, eat healthy, and get active. Once all those toxins, and extra pounds are off, your body can turn it's attention to correcting the chemical imbalances within your body. And for women, getting fit usually regulates your body's monthly schedule.

3: ABRASIVE SKIN CARE PRODUCTS
Another cause of skin care problems that most people don't realize is skin care products themselves. There are many products that have ingredients in them that tend to completely strip the skin of its natural oils that are important to have. A good example of this are Oxy Pads. The rubbing alcohol in the solution will completely dry out your skin. While it may seem like they are zapping away at the unwanted pimples, in reality, because the natural oils are being completely stripped, your skin goes into a panic mode, and will produce more oil than needed. Instead of this, if you feel you must use a skin care product, use a mild exfoliation cream that have the round beads that if pushed to hard, will pop. This type is safest for your pores as you won't get beads clogging them, and because it isn't too abrasive, it won't damage the fresh skin or strip the skin of all the natural oils. Of course, if you have naturally dry skin, using a perfume-free lotion (preferably not a milk-like base) that is made with Aloe Vera will add moisture without clogging your pores.

You know, I lost my train of thought, there was another problem I wanted to talk about, however I just can't remember. I'm far too cenile...
Well I hope this helps!
My credits go to a night class I took on skin care, and cosmotology a few months back.
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
[S]
My Custom User Title

Wow thanks for the milk advice ArtsyFartsy...
My problem area is my cheeks and I practically live off of Milk and Cookies, I guess I'll try cutting back on dairy products and see what happens
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by [S] View Post
Wow thanks for the milk advice ArtsyFartsy...
My problem area is my cheeks and I practically live off of Milk and Cookies, I guess I'll try cutting back on dairy products and see what happens
Glad I could help a fellow cosplayer. :3
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
DeviousMousie

I'll agree with you on the chemical imbalances and abrasive products, but not 100% about the diet. It's sometimes grossly over-exaggerated that foods high in fat and sugar causes pimples. That's not necessarily true since a lot is caused by just general dirt, oil, and of course make-up. Now I'm not saying it's not important to eat healthy and exercise, just that diet is not the main cause for acne. Case and point, I used to eat a lot of crap food and hardly ever got a pimple. So pretty much, I'd take the diet with a grain of salt. Yes, it is better for your skin, and yourself, to eat better and hydrate yourself with water, but it's not the main reason for pimples.

Con list!:
AX 2009?
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousMousie View Post
I'll agree with you on the chemical imbalances and abrasive products, but not 100% about the diet. It's sometimes grossly over-exaggerated that foods high in fat and sugar causes pimples. That's not necessarily true since a lot is caused by just general dirt, oil, and of course make-up. Now I'm not saying it's not important to eat healthy and exercise, just that diet is not the main cause for acne. Case and point, I used to eat a lot of crap food and hardly ever got a pimple. So pretty much, I'd take the diet with a grain of salt. Yes, it is better for your skin, and yourself, to eat better and hydrate yourself with water, but it's not the main reason for pimples.
Ah but my dear, I never once said it was the leading cause. I merely listed a few of the major reasons for acne, their importance not in any particular order. You're a lucky one if you didn't have breakouts while on an unhealty diet that's for sure. I do agree though there are many other factors why people get acne. Like I said at the bottom...I lost my train of thought haha!

To furthen the subjects of causes of acne, would you mind going into detail on the examples you have just listed as other causes of acne for others to learn?
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

1. Great idea! I am learning things!
2. I am no professional but I hope I help.

Skin Type - Dry, Oily, or Average?: Used to be really oliy, now it's average, but I do tend to get dry patches from the tretments I use.

Age Range: Late Teens

Race: Caucasian ( See everyone is a little asain!)

Problem Acne Areas: Cheeks

Daily Skincare Ritual: Wash face with warm water first thing in the morning. Then use Dermalogica's Skin Prep Scrub. (every other morning) Then moisterize with Avons Nurtura Replenishing Cream, then Biore's Pore Minimizing moistrurizer. At night, wash face with Biore's Pore Unclogging Scrub, then use Grassroots Mask Get Grounded, leave for 4 minutes, then rinse. Moisterize again with Avons Nurtura Replenishing Cream again.

Skincare During a Breakout Ritual: Wash face with hot water, then use Biore's Pore Unclogging Scrub, then apply Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment to affected areas. Then moisterize with Clean and Clear Oil Free Dual Action Moisturizer.

'Emergency' Skincare Ritual: Clean and Clear Advantage 3 times a day.

Additional Advice: No one has perfect skin, so try everything and find what works for you!

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014

Last edited by xxmossgardenxx : 12-19-2007 at 02:28 PM.
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
DeviousMousie

I understand that you weren't saying it was the leading cause, I just want to make sure that other people understand that it's not. ^^ I've known some people who actually think that the reason they have pimples is solely based on what they eat...it was strange, to say the least.

Sure, not a problem. I'm no expert...but I'll do my best. ^^

Oils:
Oils are just that, oily. Generally speaking you really have no control over how much oil your body creates during a day, but there are some things you can do to keep excess oils from appearing on your face and anywhere else. One is obviously to wash your face daily, if not twice daily, and come up with a once weekly routine. Another good way is to use a pore minimizer once a week and an exfoliant twice a week (but we'll get to that in a bit.) A thing you can do, if you're prone to dazing off in class or at work, is to not lean on your hands. If you do, but some sort of barrier between you and your oily hands, like a jacket sleeve. This will greatly decrease the amount of oil you put on your chin and jawline. Also, wash your hair everyday if not every other day. Your hair produces lots of oils and if it hangs in your face or on your back, it can add to the oily buildup. Now, as a note for healthy hair, don't use shampoo everyday, just rinse it once a day and it'll keep your hair shiny as well as clean and remove some of the oily buildup. One last thing is to change your sheets and pillow cases often. The oil on your pillow and sheets from when you sweat during your sleep stays there and can build up. Gross. DX

Dirt:
Dirt can be anything from dead skin to dirt itself. Your skin is porous and loves, loves, loves to soak up anything it can get. The important thing is to always wash! Personally, I exfoliate once a week; exfoliating uses little beads or sea salt crystals to help scrub away the dead skin and dirt buildup. The thing is, while daily cleanser will wash away the surface dirt, an exfoliant is made to get deep into the pores and clean them out. Also another thing is pore strips, though I only recommend them once a week if not less. Essentially what they're doing is grabbing onto the exposed dirt and rips it out, which isn't a practice you should use more than once a week. Lastly, to keep more dirt from filling back in you a firming mask right after you exfoliate to help close the pores back up. Do that once a week and you should start to see healthier skin.

On harsh products:
I don't know about anyone else, but I personally find that Clearasil products are way too harsh for anyone with normal to dry skin. Same with Clean and Clear. Biore depends on the product. The Oxy pads work great as an astringent after wearing make-up, but not for a daily cleaner. Though I use it and may be biased towards it, St.Ives is really gentle on the skin and I love the smell of the apricot scrub. Plus they don't test on animals which is a total plus for me! XD

Yeah, I think that's all I have to offer besides drinking water, getting enough sleep, and trying to stay healthy. Does anyone else find they get a break-out when they're sick? Cause I know my skin loves to break-out then. XD

Con list!:
AX 2009?
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyFartsy View Post
Many women take birth control pills to counteract this occurance, however, in truth, taking BCPs can cause a mountain of side-effects that are worse that acne. You're body has the ability to regnerate itself, fight off bacteria and illnesses, and fix anything in your body that causes those chemical imbalances. Often, I've seen chemical imbalances co-inside with heavy weights. My ultimate solution to that is, eat healthy, and get active.
These days BCP has much, much less severe side effects that are much rarer. I recently went into a consult with my doctor to go on it because I've had horrible acne since my early teens and nothing has ever worked for more than a few weeks. I did start eating healthier and getting more exercise when I entered college, and for the most part it's working, but for the week before my period I still get huge, painful breakouts. So for me, the acne that I can't get rid of is due to a chemical imbalance that my body can't cure by itself, and my doctor thinks that BCP will completely clear it up.

I do absolutely recommend seeing a doctor before doing anything involving medication, whether it be BCP or other hormonal acne medicine, but I have it from both my doctor and my mother who's a nurse that birth control is much safer than it used to be.

Otakon '12
Sheryl Nome | Macross Frontier
Aradia Megido [ fancy god tier ] | Homestuck
dreamoflife02 is offline   Reply With Quote