Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Yuki_Shimaa
The Demonic One >=P

Original Gothic Lolita?

Okay... first off let me strat by saying that I looooove creating my own costumes, but putting them together is a whole new story. x.x I can never stay with one design long enough before I'm switching it for something else at the last minute-- causing a lot of mental and financial problems.

For example, while I have never coplayed anything at all, I still plan ahead almost 10 months before, but alas, with my situation, I'm unable to attend one since I have such a strict grandmother. I'm not allowed to go anywhere unless she's with me, and she ruins the fun ALL the time.... But I am getting off-point~

Anyway, in 2008, come hell or high water, I am going to be going to MetroCon-- those in the Tampa Bay area of Florida would know it-- and there's a masquarade....

Well, I've made my design for my outfit, which is Gothic Lolita, buuuut as its a masquerade, I don't know what kind of mask would go with my outfit. To tell the truth, I really have no idea what I'm going to do with my costume since its a 3 year old design and a lot has changed since then (Didn't even know about Gothic Lolita then, it was styled as a Victorian age dress).

Sooooo, question is, how much lace/silk/ribbons is TOO much for a mask? (I have a bad habit of overexaggerating everything >.<)

BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I wrote waaaaay too much for a simple question, please forgive.
Yuki_Shimaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
KimaLucifer
Fantasista

It really depends on how much it matches with your outfit really.
Though if the whole thing was made in Lace I would be afraid of it.

I would just stick to a fancy venetian mask with glitter-pen designs all over it, or something with paper-mache parts on it.

They seem to work quite well at some of the gothic-victorian ish events here in Tokyo.
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
milkandcookie

Personally i would say "Less is more". If youve got a to die for dress keep the mask simple so it doesnt distract too much from your outfit. Paint a Venetian paper-mache mask the same colour as your dress and then put some lace round the edge and frame the eye holes prettily with a metallic pen.

as an alternative you could have your mask, shoes and bag in a contrasting colour to your dress. that might look good too.

as for your design changing habit - i suffer from the same syndrome. If i start last minute umming and ahhing about how im going to finish off a dress im working on i put it away and come back to it a month or so later. After a space of time its always obvious how to finish it. I either find that I've made my mind up about the design dilemma or I've realised that the garment just wasn't working (cue pulling it apart and starting over). If in a rush I would say go for the most versatile design - simple garments are easier to co-ordinate.

best of luck. Merry Christmas!
milkandcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
AndreaOfTheLand
. . . .

I'm going to this masquerade too! My problem with masquerades I pretty much can't stand wearing the mask haha. I'm completely from the 'less is more' camp on this. Last year I found some heavy duty vinyl and cut my own mask out... It had a more delicate and less overwhelming shape than most store bought designs i found, which is helpful when there is alot going on with the rest of an outfit/hairstyle... another bonus, it didn't obscure my vision nearly so much ^^

tentative line up
Cruella de Vil
4th Doctor
Fem Sherlock
Lady Thor
AndreaOfTheLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
miyavilover666

Well it does all depend on the outfit. Too much will make it look really cheap.(not to be rude)
Tuxedo Mask- Sailor Moon 45% done
Kaworu- Evengelion 90% done
Dr. Stein- Soul Eater 49% done
Secret Cosplay- Something Secrety (lol) 25% done
Hime- Princess Resurrection 75% done
I was featured on Otaku House Representing America, check me out here!
miyavilover666 is offline   Reply With Quote