Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!
 
rainbow_dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 538
new to EGL...wanting to make a maid costume.

i've wanted to make a maid dress so badly!!! but the thing is there is no patterns at the local fabric stores that even remotely look like EGL.
so i was wondering for this style of maid dress

what kind of items/patterns would be best to use?
what colors would be best (i'm thinking a dark purple instead of red or black..)

what are some EGL hair styles?
and how in the world do you sew lace???
__________________
2014 cosplay/convention line up:

Anime Detour: Rena.hack// ::::: Acen: anthy himemiya from revolutionary girl utena::: Acen:: Nico// love live.

Last edited by rainbow_dancer : 12-27-2007 at 11:49 AM.
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin
 
secretmirror180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 384
If you are new to lolita please read the lolita handbook. It's located at the top of this board as a sticky.

Just a little note, maid and lolita are not the same thing. Yes some brands do sell aprons and do look slightly maid-ish, but it's really not the same. Some lolitas might be offended by this, so please watch out.

Here is a list of patterns for lolita clothes. Some can be used (such as the aprons) for your costume. As for color, choose whatever color you want.

There are no set hairstyles of lolita, but usually people set their hair in curls. Here's a hairstyle guide at the lolita handbook.

Here's a link for how to work lace into a hem.
__________________

Zelda (30%), Shampoo Neko-hanten(90%), Akihabara maid outfit
Plus a kajillion outfits & wigs for friends & family...-_-

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
secretmirror180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
*Le*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
oh god.

wrong forum.

lolita =/= maid
*Le* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch
 
Petiteprincess1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 356
maid= not lolita. Your mixed up sweetie.
__________________
forever in a dream
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
Yana_Neko
I go Meow, You go ^_^
 
Yana_Neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petiteprincess1 View Post
maid= not lolita. Your mixed up sweetie.
I know I just lurk here and I don't care if I get in trouble. But I am just letting you know that you are a major bitch on this forum. Your spelling is atrocious and you never bring anything useful or constructive to threads. I follow the philosophy that if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. However, you NEVER have anything nice to say, so I don't respect you enough to care.
__________________
+++ Yana Neko +++
Yana_Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch
 
Petiteprincess1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 356
How am I being a bitch? I did not mean for that to sound mean. My spelling is poor because English is not my first language. You know what I think I am getting better at English. Honestly I don't care if you don't respect me, it honestly does not bother me one bit what you think. Honestly I don't think I am bitchy, I think I give constructive criticism. Honestly next time instead acting like a total ass in a thread use a pm.
Thanks
Alice
__________________
forever in a dream

Last edited by Petiteprincess1 : 01-04-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Enk
Keeper of the Ninja Elf
 
Enk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,290
Maid is a completely different style. Of course, that mistake could have been made in honesty, though it seems like you just started this thread to start "Dramu". Not cool. Pointing out their spelling as a part of your argument (in an argument that has nothing to do with the English language) is just low.

Yeah, so her spelling sucks. Yes, she is a bitch in a lot of people's opinion, including mine. However, calling her out like this? Please, tell me you are more intelligent than that.
__________________
http://climate.weather.com/
Enk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Yana_Neko
I go Meow, You go ^_^
 
Yana_Neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 265
She could easily take her own mean posts to PMs, but never chooses to do so. She openly criticizes others harshly and viciously, but that is acceptable? I did not PM her about it because I wanted it to be posted on the forum. It promotes the fact that if you find someone insufferable, don't let it slide. Stand up for yourself and for those that are constantly being insulted by a bully.

I do apologize for the spelling comment, I do understand that spelling in a second language is difficult. English was originally my second language and now my first language no longer comes easy to me. However, I think the reason why I am more annoyed is not over the spelling, but rather the content. "This is cheap", "This is wrong", "EGL is NOT a costume". Yes, in essence, EGL is fashion. But this is a cosplay forum, not a fashion forum. By coming to cosplay.com and always being snippy and rude to the cosplayers that do consider lolita as a costume rather than a lifestyle is degrading. Maid style costumes do possess some lolita qualities. If you can't advise this cosplayer looking for help, then don't post.

Yes, you do have the right to be an elitist because, honestly, no one can tell you how you should view yourself. I personally find elitism to be trivial and a ridiculous concept, but there are people who keep themselves in check and are helpful rather than insulting. Not a single person came into this hobby knowing everything there is to know about egl.

Like I said, this is still a cosplay forum. If you don't like that, go to a forum that strictly enforces the lifestyle rather than the costuming aspect. Don't be hurtful to cosplayers for asking questions when they are in the right place to do so. It gives lolitas a bad perception.

Now that I have communicated this and explained by initial comment, I'll drop the subject. I hope others may have some nice suggestions for rainbow_dancer about her original post.
__________________
+++ Yana Neko +++

Last edited by Yana_Neko : 12-28-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Yana_Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
Elenoa
Funny Bunny
 
Elenoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 160
If I've learned anything from reading the Han-loli and Greek-loli threads, it's that loli is possible in many forms. Keeping an open mind is the key. If the big loli brands didn't think that French maid dresses had any influence over loli, then why would they sell aprons and make some of their headdresses look like French maid headdress?

The only reason I would see that maid cannot ever be considered loli is because when you're a lolita, you're pretending to be a princess/lady, but when you're a maid, you're pretending to be a servant. That's rather closed-minded, imo.

In any case, if the Original Poster believes that she can pull off a maid loli, then I don't see why she can't try to do it.

rainbow_dancer, as to answer your question of where to find patterns, Simplicity should have maid patterns under their costume section. If elitist loli's find out and flame you for using a costume pattern to make a loli (because "loli's are not costumes, mmkay?") then just tell them that "Hey, it looks nice and I like it, so be quiet :P"

ps: the maid costumes patterns that they sell in fabric stores might be a bit short and revealing, though. You might want to get more fabric than the pattern indicates so you can modify the dress so that it won't be too revealing in the end.

Last edited by Elenoa : 12-28-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Elenoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!
 
rainbow_dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 538
thanks. ^^ i didn't know there was a [big] difference since they seem similar. and thanks the lolita handbook is great!!! i just thought starting off with a maid costume would help me get into making lolita fashion since theres less lace and it'd be more pratice...i know they aren't the same thing. ^^ just similar. hopefully that that argument would be put to an end. i'm terribly sorry. ^^ ^^
thanks for the tips and advice everyone!!! and being so understanding. i'll never call or think that maid costumes are a branch of lolita fashion. ^^()|||

and when i said hair styles...do lolitas seem to have straight hair, black, curly, different colors. because i've seen some lolita pics and they had blonde/gold curly pigtails...(sweet lolita i think) and one was alittle more dark and had blue and black long straight hair (gothic lolita) but i'm not sure. ^^
__________________
2014 cosplay/convention line up:

Anime Detour: Rena.hack// ::::: Acen: anthy himemiya from revolutionary girl utena::: Acen:: Nico// love live.

Last edited by rainbow_dancer : 12-28-2007 at 01:01 PM.
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
*Le*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenoa View Post
If I've learned anything from reading the Han-loli and Greek-loli threads, it's that loli is possible in many forms. Keeping an open mind is the key. If the big loli brands didn't think that French maid dresses had any influence over loli, then why would they sell aprons and make some of their headdresses look like French maid headdress?

The only reason I would see that maid cannot ever be considered loli is because when you're a lolita, you're pretending to be a princess/lady, but when you're a maid, you're pretending to be a servant. That's rather closed-minded, imo.


lol

you must be very new to the fashion ^^;;

i think its very important for someone who is interested in lolita to find out more about where the fashion comes from. lolita is mostly based on rococo, baroque, and Victorian fashion. back in those days aprons where commonly worn. it wasn’t a thing kept strictly for maids (think alice in wonderland) this is specially true around the Victorian era and specially on children clothes ( which is where alot of lolitas influence comes from.) and, the same thing goes for headresses and short half bonnets (which is what i ssume you speak of when you say "headdresses that look like French maid headdress")

the association of aprons and french maids is made by the public who dont know much about the fashion and its history/where it comes from and think "well shes wearing an apron so she must be a maid or influenced by them" -_-''

but i completely understand why someone would make that assumption i guess. specially if they don’t know anything about the fashion....

like you said lolita is dressing like aristocratic period girls. and maids are servants. the complete opposite of what a loli is about. and i dont think its close minded at all, its like telling a dog its close minded cos it cant be a cat O.o

Last edited by *Le* : 12-28-2007 at 01:49 PM.
*Le* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
*Le*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_dancer View Post

and when i said hair styles...do lolitas seem to have straight hair, black, curly, different colors. because i've seen some lolita pics and they had blonde/gold curly pigtails...(sweet lolita i think) and one was alittle more dark and had blue and black long straight hair (gothic lolita) but i'm not sure. ^^
you can have almost whatever hair style you want and whatever color you want. as long as its clean cut and not messy looking, anything is virtually fine. and curls are quite common in all types of lolitas.
*Le* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch
 
Petiteprincess1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yana_Neko View Post
She could easily take her own mean posts to PMs, but never chooses to do so. She openly criticizes others harshly and viciously, but that is acceptable? I did not PM her about it because I wanted it to be posted on the forum. It promotes the fact that if you find someone insufferable, don't let it slide. Stand up for yourself and for those that are constantly being insulted by a bully.

I do apologize for the spelling comment, I do understand that spelling in a second language is difficult. English was originally my second language and now my first language no longer comes easy to me. However, I think the reason why I am more annoyed is not over the spelling, but rather the content. "This is cheap", "This is wrong", "EGL is NOT a costume". Yes, in essence, EGL is fashion. But this is a cosplay forum, not a fashion forum. By coming to cosplay.com and always being snippy and rude to the cosplayers that do consider lolita as a costume rather than a lifestyle is degrading. Maid style costumes do possess some lolita qualities. If you can't advise this cosplayer looking for help, then don't post.

Yes, you do have the right to be an elitist because, honestly, no one can tell you how you should view yourself. I personally find elitism to be trivial and a ridiculous concept, but there are people who keep themselves in check and are helpful rather than insulting. Not a single person came into this hobby knowing everything there is to know about egl.

Like I said, this is still a cosplay forum. If you don't like that, go to a forum that strictly enforces the lifestyle rather than the costuming aspect. Don't be hurtful to cosplayers for asking questions when they are in the right place to do so. It gives lolitas a bad perception.

Now that I have communicated this and explained by initial comment, I'll drop the subject. I hope others may have some nice suggestions for rainbow_dancer about her original post.
You know what when I say something looks cheap, I am giving my fucking opinion that I think it looks cheap.
__________________
forever in a dream

Last edited by Petiteprincess1 : 01-04-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
*Le*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yana_Neko View Post
I do apologize for the spelling comment, I do understand that spelling in a second language is difficult. English was originally my second language and now my first language no longer comes easy to me. However, I think the reason why I am more annoyed is not over the spelling, but rather the content. "This is cheap", "This is wrong", "EGL is NOT a costume". Yes, in essence, EGL is fashion. But this is a cosplay forum, not a fashion forum. By coming to cosplay.com and always being snippy and rude to the cosplayers that do consider lolita as a costume rather than a lifestyle is degrading. Maid style costumes do possess some lolita qualities.
sorry to butt in, and i really do hate to butt into other peoples fights but...i think you’re just freakishly sensitive O.o

"This is cheap", "This is wrong", "EGL is NOT a costume" can hardly be considered rude...I don’t know why the fuck would anyone think so. This just completely baffles me ...seriously wtf? O.o



I have noticed that ALOT of the cosplayers here don’t actually realize that loli is not a costume. alot of them really do think it is, and while it is a costume TO THEM I don’t think its wrong or rude at all to let them know its a fashion that they use as a costume. hell that’s one of the main reasons I signed up here, to teach people that its a fashion that they use as a costume, cos it really bothers me that some people actually think I wear costumes everyday.

its like if you decided to dress up as a goth or punk for halloween and then someone told you that goth and punk is not a costume but an actual fashion and subculture...how is that rude? and how in gods name is me saying that degrading? O.o

EDIT:
after disscussing this with mah homie she commented that you are probably not a loli/not into loli and you dont realize why these comments are not seen as rude. ( at least the "This looks cheap", "This is wrong")

thing is...there IS a right and wrong way of doing loli, and lolita has ALOOOT to do with quality. you DO NOT want to look cheap. i realize that in the normal not loli world, these would actually seem like insults. but in the loli world its not, its constructive criticisim. since looking like a million bucks and doing the fashion right and looking rather timeless or like a doll is a big (and i mean HUGE) part of the fashion....i really dont know how to explain to someone who isnt into the fashion why this isnt an insult, so sorry if i dont quite make sence ^^;;

Last edited by *Le* : 12-28-2007 at 02:22 PM.
*Le* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch
 
Petiteprincess1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Le* View Post
sorry to butt in, and i really do hate to butt into other peoples fights but...i think youíre just freakishly sensitive O.o

"This is cheap", "This is wrong", "EGL is NOT a costume" can hardly be considered rude...I donít know why the fuck would anyone think so. This just completely baffles me ...seriously wtf? O.o


I have noticed that ALOT of the cosplayers here donít actually realize that loli is not a costume. alot of them really do think it is, and while it is a costume TO THEM I donít think its wrong or rude at all to let them know its a fashion that they use as a costume. hell thatís one of the main reasons I signed up here, to teach people that its a fashion that they use as a costume, cos it really bothers me that some people actually think I wear costumes everyday.

its like if you decided to dress up as a goth or punk for halloween and then someone told you that goth and punk is not a costume but an actual fashion and subculture...how is that rude? and how in gods name is me saying that degrading? O.o
I am glad at least on person got what I was trying to say. I never meant to be degrading or rude. I joined here to keep people from being posted on lolitafucks.
__________________
forever in a dream
Petiteprincess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.