Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Archives > Onna!

Unread 09-08-2002, 08:12 PM   #1
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

-When Is Enought, To Much-

I just finished replying to a thread about what ur parents think....and i was just wondering when do us Cosplayers think that its time to give up cosplay? I for example think you should go untill you cant go anymore..but some people say oh once i hit this age, i'm gonna quit it..., so what do you think?

Unread 09-08-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
scandia
Overachiever

When it interferes with other aspects of your daily life where: you refuse to eat in order to not gain weight to fit in your costume, you lose sleep over a costume detail, you get into trouble at work for working on your costume during company time, your family and friends do not get any other conversation topics from you, you do not buy regular clothes only costume stuff, etc.

Or when you outgrow it.

Neither of them has happened to me.
Unread 09-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

-I Agree-

I agree, it shouldn't consume your whole life
Unread 09-08-2002, 11:16 PM   #4
KuroBara
dog of the military

>Or when you outgrow it.

I agree with that, hobbies do change over time. Years ago I had no idea what anime was, now I'm making ~ 3 costumes / year, and have been to 5 cons in 2 years. I don't see an end to my cosplaying in the near future, but I don't see myself as the 82 - year - old Rikku either. I'll be too busy making my grandchildren's costumes ^_^
Unread 09-08-2002, 11:30 PM   #5
makonurikoryoko

lol yeah I think once I cant do cosplay, well... look bad cosplaying hehe I'll be making my kids costumes all the time and stuff ^^
Unread 09-09-2002, 02:05 PM   #6
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I'm certainly on the older side of things. I find that as I get older, there's less and less that I can wear without feeling (and doubtless looking) like an idiot, which is a shame, because it's taken me this long to get my sewing skills and enthusiasm to this point. I have to say I don't feel stupid for dressing like an anime character - I feel stupid for dressing like an 18-year-old anime character! So I try to find costumes that won't look horrifically out of place - serafuku are Right Out - and hone my makeup skills. In a few years I think I'm going to be SOL, though.. so I don't know what I'll be doing. Making costumes for other people, maybe. Unless I can find a few more anime characters who are grownups... and that is NOT easy.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 09-09-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
Cassandra
Ultimate Catwoman

Quote:
Originally posted by Koumori
I'm certainly on the older side of things. I find that as I get older, there's less and less that I can wear without feeling (and doubtless looking) like an idiot, which is a shame, because it's taken me this long to get my sewing skills and enthusiasm to this point. I have to say I don't feel stupid for dressing like an anime character - I feel stupid for dressing like an 18-year-old anime character! So I try to find costumes that won't look horrifically out of place - serafuku are Right Out - and hone my makeup skills. In a few years I think I'm going to be SOL, though.. so I don't know what I'll be doing. Making costumes for other people, maybe. Unless I can find a few more anime characters who are grownups... and that is NOT easy.
That's when you take the easy road and dress as Cologne from Ranma for the rest of your life

Or there's always masks....my husband does all sorts of latex mask-things for Halloween....now to just get him to work on some cosplay stuff
Unread 09-09-2002, 07:03 PM   #8
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I did get mistaken for a teenager all weekend at AnimeFest, though. Maybe they grow them differently in Texas, or maybe I'm getting better with the ol' concealer brush, I dunno.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 09-09-2002, 08:48 PM   #9
makonurikoryoko

You really do look young though. And I'm not saying that to be nice! When I saw youre cute Nuriko cosplay I thought you were no older than 22, nd you said on another post you're 29?! ::is amazed::
Unread 09-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #10
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

She is cool~! Koumori, you're an idol to me *gets all watery eyed* and one day i hope to cosplay just like you! *justice pose*
Unread 09-09-2002, 08:55 PM   #11
makonurikoryoko

yeah! Lulu and I love you ::bows:: ^^ hehe
Unread 09-09-2002, 08:58 PM   #12
Xx Lulu xX
Seriously, Im back...

AWW!! CUTE!
Unread 09-09-2002, 09:57 PM   #13
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Wow, you think YOU love her! I love both of you! I guess that's one advantage of not having clearer pictures - I look younger!

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 09-09-2002, 11:07 PM   #14
KuroBara
dog of the military

I know what you mean Koumori ~ I'm only 20 but I still feel it limits the age I can cosplay. I try to go for characters no younger than 17 now. Wow, I never would have guessed 29...I have to keep that unclear pictures thing in mind for later...
Unread 09-09-2002, 11:25 PM   #15
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

Re: -When Is Enought, To Much-

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx Lulu xX
I just finished replying to a thread about what ur parents think....and i was just wondering when do us Cosplayers think that its time to give up cosplay? I for example think you should go untill you cant go anymore..but some people say oh once i hit this age, i'm gonna quit it..., so what do you think?
Bah, I'm sick of the fucking elitist cosplayers, those who compete like 12 times a year and they're hot shit... *coughcoughSailorJamboreecoughhackwheeze*
Anime Jam Session Episode #128 is now up for download: www.animejamsession.com
RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AnimeJamSession
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2013 Convention Schedule: Nauticons, AWA?, AAC