Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Sakura Con

Unread 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Ka.GAMI
loves you~

Just a small warning~

[Note: This is copied from my post on the SakuraCon forums]

Now, I know that Freeway Park(the park behind the convention center) is a pretty park for the most part, and it has a bit of homeless people living in it, but that's not the issue. I am friends with some people that hang out behind the convention center. Most of them are teenagers that live on the streets, and they're usually under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Although they are my friends, I feel the need to warn you guys to not piss them off. These kids do get violent from time to time. They hang out under the bridge and on the path to the waterfall, so I'd be careful going back there. I know they cut through the convention center to get from downtown Seattle to the park, but they wouldn't do anything there, even when drunk or on whatever.

If any of you begin to think that they wouldn't be there when there's a large crowd of people, then you're sorely mistaken. I was at PAX '07 and I was sitting outside when I saw one of them. My friend was rather drunk, and I lead him back under the bridge where there were about six more people that were not exactly sober. And they do indeed have weapons- while I was there watching my friends drink, they were playing with the knives they kept because well, they're homeless kids that sleep under bridges(that don't include the bridge in Freeway Park).

So please, don't anger them, because they're most likely not sober. I don't want to hear about anyone in the convention getting stabbed and/or jumped, nor do I want to hear that one of my friends did it.

^-^;;

-Buttercup-chan[Kagami]

Edit;; Of course, this is if they're still there by SakuraCon. I saw them there still about two weeks ago.

Currently: grnjkan
Next con:

PAX 2012
Rhyme Bito -TWEWY
Probably some version of Ramona
Probably some version of Amy Pond

Last edited by Ka.GAMI : 01-02-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Ka.GAMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
StrawberryLum
Detail Diva

Ok, this is sort of weird. Why not just get your friends help? People really shouldn't have to worry about "angering" your drunken juvienile friends.
This also seems sort of threatening. If your friends are teenagers then they need to be in a home, and if they're threatening people with knives, sober or otherwise, then they belong in jail.

-Planned cosplays for '09-
Cinderella
Snow White
Ariel's Kiss the Girl Dress
Lum's School Uniform - Urusei Yatsura

-Planned cosplays for '10-
Ariel Mermaid Form
Ran's Pink Dress - Urusei Yatsura
Tinkerbell
Sarah's Ball Gown - Labyrinth
Pink Lum Outfit - Urusei Yatsura
Medusa - Petshop of Horrors
Seras Victoria - Hellsing OVA
StrawberryLum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
livengood
Jojofags-r-us

No kidding. How about doing the attendants a favor and report these kids to the cops. They need to be removed from the area. You know they're a potential threat to attendants, any other innocent people. They may be your supposed friends, but what's going to happen if they end up doing something to an innocent person who by chance, didn't know or get to read this thread?
AC Paradise Deviantart
livengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Kumi-chan
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Agreed. I'm sorry your friends have problems, but the rest of us should not have to deal with the effects of their substance abuse. There will be children at the con, for goodness sake. If you know your friends are armed and under the influence, well, it's your responsibility to do the right thing.

AE/Kumori Con
Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke); Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Autumn '08/Aki Con
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2); Shura!Sakura, Jade!Syaoran (Tsubasa: RC); Kokon (Kon Kon Kokon)
Kumi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
hi.to.ri
o_0

i think many convention goers will be fairly armed too...replica knives/swords/etc. run rampant in the merch section. o.o

and I'm sure your friends won't be quite as troublesome as after-dark downtown LA is going to be for AX'08...
2. Archer
3. Takemoto (Honey and Clover)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hi.to.ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Ka.GAMI
loves you~

I, personally, could never report them to the police, but I'm sure they have been reported before. These are my friends- with or without their substance abuse. They've taken care of me, and I couldn't call the cops on them. I don't know if they have or would threaten someone with weaponry, I'm just saying to be careful because they are armed and they are alcoholics- so their motives may be rather obscured when drunk. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go into Freeway Park, I'm saying to try not to do anything to annoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryLum View Post
This also seems sort of threatening. If your friends are teenagers then they need to be in a home ...
They have good reasons to not be in their homes. They weren't spoiled brats who couldn't get what they wanted so they ran away. Most of their parents had substance abuse as well. Some of them might've been kicked out, some of them may indeed have run away. And some of them may be old enough to have a home(they're not ALL teenagers, in fact- the majority probably aren't), but they can't support it because they either can't keep a job or some other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi.to.ri View Post
... and I'm sure your friends won't be quite as troublesome as after-dark downtown LA is going to be for AX'08...
And that, is very true. ^-^ Thank you for putting that out there.

Next con:

PAX 2012
Rhyme Bito -TWEWY

Unread 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

I don't go out to that park during the evenings, mainly because it's too dark to take pictures out there, and my hotel is located in front of the convention center.

I do use some areas in the park for photoshoots, but have yet to encounter any problems. A couple of times my friends and I have been pestered by the homeless people who wander around, but other than having an odor/stench problem, they usually go about their way.

This year if your friends are there and they bother me while I'm doing photoshoots, like harass my cosplayer friends, I won't confront them directly but if need be, I'll use my weapon: my camera, and take a picture of them which I can use to report to park security, convention center staff, or the police. (Ever notice all those "panic" buttons located around the park to call for security? Wonder if anybody's ever used them before during S-con)

I'm not the guy to cause or look for trouble, but I certainly will do something (if not directly) to anybody who causes problems for me when I'm trying to enjoy my convention.

AX and Sakuracon are two different conventions, but all conventions have those who like to cause mischief, so it's best to be cautious at every con you go to.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
StrawberryLum
Detail Diva

I didn't say they need to be with their parents, I just said they need to be in /a/ home. Foster care or a homeless shelter for abused teens, I dunno, but I can tell you one thing, if they approach me in any sort of threatening matter your "friends" are getting the cops called on them and if they are indeed intoxicated they get to go to the drunk tank as it is illegal to just be out and about drunk let alone possibly threatening someone.
And how is it that I'm going to know what may or may not "annoy" these people? I could be walking by and they get pissed off, especially if they're drunk.
Point is, if you know your "friends" are a danger then by law you are to report them, weither you like that or not. Otherwise you're just as responsible for what they do. We're not here to cater to your drunken miscreant associates. If you feel they are a danger then report them, ask someone else to report them, whatever you need to do to feel "comfortable" but don't just go around telling people they better do this or that or they're going to get stabbed. That's a threat.

Cinderella
Snow White

Ariel Mermaid Form
Tinkerbell
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
Ka.GAMI
loves you~

I'm not saying that they will do it, I'm just worried that someone might aggravate them to do it. I'm almost positive walking by them won't piss them off, especially because I'm sure there's quite a few people that pass by them on a regular basis- and I've only noticed one(besides my parents) to comment on them infront of them, and I don't even know what that guy was saying to them. I'm not saying I know they'd be an issue because I honestly don't know, and to call the police on something that I'm not sure of wouldn't be smart in my own opinion.

And I do know that the people under 22 are allowed to go to a homeless shelter that's open some mornings and nights, but you can't spend the night there. I know they give you free meals, showers, clothes, and let you wash your clothes, though. And I know there's another one that also feeds you, but I don't know much about that one and I haven't heard of any others. Of course, I haven't done any research on homeless shelters, because I'm sure they'd do it for themselves if they needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
...I do use some areas in the park for photoshoots, but have yet to encounter any problems. A couple of times my friends and I have been pestered by the homeless people who wander around, but other than having an odor/stench problem, they usually go about their way.

This year if your friends are there and they bother me while I'm doing photoshoots, like harass my cosplayer friends, I won't confront them directly but if need be, I'll use my weapon: my camera, and take a picture of them which I can use to report to park security, convention center staff, or the police. (Ever notice all those "panic" buttons located around the park to call for security? Wonder if anybody's ever used them before during S-con) ...
Yeah, they just started going there recently due to a newspaper article about them 'causing more police near Westlake Center where they once hung out- so they fled to the park. I don't understand why this park isn't patrolled anyway, because I've heared there's a lot of violence there anyway. I'm not sure about that one, though.

They have panic buttons...? o-o Dude. That's hella tight. xD;;;

And for anyone who cares to read, here's the article that I dug up.

More Police For Downtown Seattle - The Seattle Post-Intelligencer
And I was almost in that picture. ._.;;;

Next con:

PAX 2012
Rhyme Bito -TWEWY

Unread 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
StrawberryLum
Detail Diva

So are you saying your fears and "warning" are completly irrational and unwarrented? If so then this post needs to come down.
But if you did post this because you think something might happen then I'm not seeing how it would "not be smart" to inform the police. You know of drunken people carrying weapons around that may flip out at any moment on anybody for any reason.
http://www.artistshelpingchildren.or...tml#washington

Cinderella
Snow White

Ariel Mermaid Form
Tinkerbell
Unread 01-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
The Evil One
Insane Cosplayer

Instead of warning the .01% of con goers that will read your warning, you might want to warn your friends. There's going to be 11000+ people lacking sleep and hopped up on caffeine wandering around all weekend. If something were to happen, they're the ones that are going to be in even more trouble. No one wants anything bad to happen during con.
The Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
StrawberryLum
Detail Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil One View Post
Instead of warning the .01% of con goers that will read your warning, you might want to warn your friends. There's going to be 11000+ people lacking sleep and hopped up on caffeine wandering around all weekend. If something were to happen, they're the ones that are going to be in even more trouble. No one wants anything bad to happen during con.
Most awesome quote thus far.

Cinderella
Snow White

Ariel Mermaid Form
Tinkerbell
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
msmoonprincess
Royal Highness Serenity

Um thanks for the warning I guess? But really I am in agreement with all the other posters here. I'm not sure exactly how it goes or who said but there's a quote out there that says the way evil triumphs is for good men/women to do nothing. Your friends obviously need help badly if you think they are capable of this sort of behavior. And by not helping them out like a good friend should you are letting them get worse. Please for the con members and your friends get them help and report them if need be beofre the con starts.

Pop Pop
msmoonprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Lady Shinsei
~ Duelist of Heart ~

*sigh* I'm not surprised that folks posted negative comments in here. Kinda reminds me of all the crap that happened over folks hanging out at Westlake Center (I'm still pissed about that, because I used to hang out there, and now even I'm getting weird looks from cops, etc.).

LOL... I agree on the thing about congoers being threatening. Trust me, running into hyper fangirls that're hopped up on Pocky and caffeinated beverages can't be a good thing. And that... includes me! ROFLMAO. But, no offense to ya bud (Buttercup-chan), you should do something about helping out your friends... because helping them is the best thing a friend should do. *hug*

Here's to the hope of the con being trouble-free and awesome.
Lady Shinsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
Koriko
Hyperactivated Alchemist

o.< While its true you should get your friends help...Warning us was good. D; Seriously guys, give her a break. If they are her friends she can't bring herself to turn them in and thats that.

She's just trying to make sure no one else gets hurt...She just can't bring herself to be the ones to turn her own friends in and watch them go to jail...I know how that feels, though its with family...>>;

>.o Just saying you probably made her feel worse about the situation by harping on her...>.< She just wanted to make sure you all knew.

I mean come on! Theres dangerous homeless people EVERYWHERE you go...She just was making sure we knew ...>>;;

Yes, it would be a good thing to get them help...But if we could help every homeless person on the street...We would...

>.< God I'm not good with confronation...I just think you guys should give her a break here D;

=D Im Kikki. Imma Keekers =D

A and G Ohio
Koriko is offline   Reply With Quote