Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Lilly

Tekkonkinkreet: Cow skull / Cubone-like mask

Hey thar.
I'm thinking about making a costume for the Minotaur from Tekkonkinkreet... the clothes themselves seem simple but the character wears a cow skull on his head and I have no idea how to go about making it. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Ref pictures:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4...ferencegt4.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9...erence2zg5.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Lilly : 01-04-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Lilly

Actually... I realise this is pretty vague of me to ask. What I should be asking is what kind of material is good to make masks, or skulls in this case. I'm thinking of making a box-y shape and cutting out the parts I don't need... I could make a paper model of what I want but I don't know where to go after that (since I'm not sure what material to use). Plus, there are some teeth in the skull and I was wondering what could be used (like a clay of some sort) that would be smooth or could be made smooth.

Last edited by Lilly : 01-05-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Tasogare-Taicho
Captain: Tasogare Troupe

I personally like Crayola Model Magic, bc it's lightweight and air-dries so there's no need to bake it. You just need to be careful to not let it dry out while you're working, or it will crack. I would recommend getting a simple plastic facemask to mold it off of (any costume store should have them) and then when it's dry, get yourself some Gesso. It's an acrylic primer you can find at craft stores, and it is a MUST for this sort of thing, as it seals cracks and imperfections, and gives an overall smoother look. Just put a few coats of the Gesso on it, then let it dry and paint. I'd suggest a matte sealer over the top just to be on the safe side.

Captain and Founder of Tasogare Cosplay Troupe, Fanartist and Fanfiction Author.

IM Ahzeli for information on commissioning, wig-styling, prop-making, or if you just want to get together and share photos or do a shoot sometime~

Costumes in the Works:
Hatsune Miku - Hitobashira Alice
Uzumaki Naruto - Formal Hokage concept version
Kagamine Rin - Aku no Musume dress
Kuchiki Rukia - Dark Rukia (Fade to Black)
Tasogare-Taicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Lilly

That stuff dries awfully fast... the face mask is a great idea but I don't know how I'd cover the rest of my head and still have it be able to fit. I could probably get some help after I finish the front part, put the mask on while the Model Magic is drying on it, and have someone else help cover the rest of the skull / back of my head. (I'd probably wear a bandana or something under it during the process).
I'd rather use something that dries a little slower though... I'm not too experienced with Model Magic and I wouldn't know how to attach the horns or make the thin delicate parts with it. How fragile is it after the gesso and matte?

And what are peoples opinions on paper mache?
Unread 01-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

If you're looking for a clay to make the teeth, I'd recommend either FIMO or Sculpey. FIMO is a lot more difficult to mold, and is also a bit more expensive, but it's a lot easier to keep the shapes you make than with Sculpey. These are both baking-clays, so you'd have to bake them then glue them on the mask afterwards.

As for the mask itself - papier mache? That can be built up and then sanded away. I wouldn't recommend Sculpey for the mask itself, though, because it gets heavy.

I don't know if that was much help. ^^; But I love you for doing the Minotaur.

EDIT - Ba-ha. For your most recent post: Make a prototype of the mask out of cardboard (cereal box type) or something - have it all fitted and measured, and then you can go from there.

I have a good opinion of papier mache - it takes a while to dry and, like I said before, it can be sanded down and built back up as much as you like. And it's cost-effective. X3

Last edited by Kuro Yue : 01-05-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Lilly

Any information helps... this is foreign territory for me so it's great to have other peoples' opinions.

I was thinking about using Sculpey originally but it's good to hear about FIMO too.

Yay! I feel like the Minotaur would be the easiest character to recognise for those who saw the movie. That and it would be awesome if I ran into a Black or White cosplayer... (but I doubt that would happen T_T) ...now I have to figure out the body paint and finding a pipe that's long enough. XD

EDIT x2 - That's probably the idea I'll be using... XP Thank you.

And after all the paper mache what's a good thing to coat it with?

Last edited by Lilly : 01-05-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Unread 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Coat? How do you mean?
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Lilly

Like how Tasogare said to coat Model Magic with gesso. I've never done much beyond paper mache besides straight painting. I didn't know if there was something to paint over that would make it smoother / tougher.
The cardboard construction is going well though...
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Umm. . .With papier mache, I really don't know. The idea of coating things never really occurred to me.
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #10
Merrichan

i would try coating it with gesso still, i've seen it suggested for finishing EVERYTHING under the sun, you might want to do a test piece just to make sure

(honestly my first thought was to just go look for a cow skull but that might be a bit creepy, and heavy, and breakable)
Merrichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Lilly

Okay, thanks very much for the advice.

A real cow skull? XD That would probably weird out the con-goers more then me.