Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Faerie
Once Upon a Time...

Blackrose cosplay

my next cosplay is going to be blackrose from the .hack series. Most of her costume doesn't seem like it will be too big of a problem, but I've never done armor before. However, my brother did for his last costume, so I feel pretty confident. There's just a few parts that I'm not quite sure on, so I need some advise.

first, here's a picture of her:BlackRose

it's just the round parts at the elbows and the breast armor... how would I go about making that round? the technique I'm using is this one :armor tutorial

The more I think about it, the more impossible it seems to be to get craft foam to make such a round shape. can anyone offer me some advice please? =( thankyou very much
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Pretty Sammy
5th Squad Captain

Unfortunately, yes, it is impossible to achieve that shape with craft foam. It's physically impossible to make a round-ball shape (I know because I've tried! XD) Instead, what I would suggest is finding a round ball as a base (maybe a styrofoam ball) and, using something like paper-clay or another armor making material, coat it over the ball to make that shape. I'm afraid I'm no expert when it comes to armor, so this is the best advice I can give you.

Conventions for 2011:
Anime Los Angeles '11
Anime Conji 11'
Fanime '11
Kintoki-Con '11
AM2 '11
San Diego Comic-Con '11

Proud Half of "We're Not Twins Cosplay"

Pretty Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Faerie
Once Upon a Time...

thankyou very much for your advice~ atleast I know that I cannot use craft foam for the elbow armor... (but maybe it could still work for the breast armor? >.<) I'm new to armor and I've never heard of this paper clay material...what is it? where can I get it? how do you work with it? also are there any other methods that can be recommended? thankyou!
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Faerie
Once Upon a Time...

oh no! my thread disappered to the second page...you mean out of all of the skilled costumers here, no one else is able to take the time to help this newbie out? =(
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Shiroake
YOU LACK SEXY -eye beam-

If you'd like to try getting help from other dot hack cosplayers, pop into the Dot Hackers Unite thread and I'm sure someone there can help It's easy for a single cosplay thread to get buried under the grouped cosplays..

I'd offer some help myself but I've never done any armor before and I wouldn't want to suggest something that'll break right away. <333 best of luck, I'd love to see your Blackrose when you finish her! And updates on how she's going :3
Edward [Fullmetal Alchemist] 90% curse you automail >(

Done:
What, recently? YOU SILLY HAHAHA
Shiroake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairen View Post
oh no! my thread disappered to the second page...you mean out of all of the skilled costumers here, no one else is able to take the time to help this newbie out? =(
Please don't bump your threads. Nobody replying doesn't mean nobody wants to help; it just might mean nobody saw it. I would recommend doing a search on these forums for paper clay, as there have been quite a few armor making threads in the past.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Central in Rosemont, IL (May 16-18)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote