Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 01-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Hina
Feelin' the Aster

Kyouyama Anna

http://www.cosplaylab.com/lab/37729-174034.jpg

A relatively simple costume to do, which is why a lot of girls tend to get really lazy and not do it properly.

Please keep in mind that a) I have since fixed the necklace to include the red pendent, and b) it's hard to tell, but the bandana was already waist-length. Otherwise, suggestions on how to improve would be awesome.
+Black Canary || Justice League Unlimited/Young Justice
+Zatanna Zatara || Young Justice
+Serenity Wheeler || YGO
+Nico Robin (time jump) || One Piece
Hina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Well, I'm not familiar with the character, so I'm going by the reference picture...
I think the wig could be trimmed a little shorter, and it looks like her hair wisps out toward her shoulders more than in towards her neck.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
SakuraAngel
Manga Princess

I agree!
I am failiar with Shaman King (heck I live it)
And I think that your wig needs to be a tad shorter
But other than that, you look great! Love the shoes ^^

Attending...
Kitacon III

Cosplaying...
[font="Garamond"]Severus Snape - Harry Potter Marauders Era
Quistis Trepe - Final Fantasy VIII
Usui Pirika - Shaman King
SakuraAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Hina
Feelin' the Aster

*makes a note*

The wig had actually been "fluffed" a little more to match the style while it was still on the wig head, then went completely flat once I binded it with the bandana. I'll see if I can try styling it after I've put the bandana on.

=^_^= I didn't even realize that the wig itself was a little too long. Thanks for pointing that out!

@ SakuraAngel: Thanks! Those things were a pain to make, and unfortunately the fabric ripped on me the first time. But they're the closest I could find to her actual shoes, and they were surprisingly comfortable to wear because I went with foam instead of solid wood.

Is there anything else anyone thinks I should do?
+Serenity Wheeler || YGO
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Crimson Firefly
Paku Romi Wannabe

I'm not sure if this part is possible, but the skirt of your dress looks a little limp. The skirt part should actually flare out a bit... which might be just gravity defying anime physics since Anna doesn't wear a petticoat to fluff up her skirt or anything. You could try experimenting with stiff interfacing if you're serious about making this costume as accurate as possible.

The beads themselves could be smaller, and the chain longer so that it could be wrapped around twice like the reference picture.

Anna also has a similar beaded bracelet.

Otherwise it looks great .

Ayanami Rei [Evangelion]
Kuma [Persona 4]
Sheila (update) [Mahou Shoujotai Arusu]

Crimson Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Kumi-chan
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

Pretty good. The colors are a good match, especially the hair, and it's really nice to see someone do the sandals properly. Probably a good call to go with foam over real wood...wooden are heavy, and yours look accurate enough, which counts for more than authenticity. The hair is a little long, but that's easy enough to fix. I know what you mean about the scarf flattening the style; perhaps fluffing it more than required when on the wig head would help?

I know from experience that it's hard to get the skirt to flare as it does from time to time in the series. I did mine as a separate circle skirt, sewed it to the bodice, and then took in the sides to get rid of some of the excess. It did create a waist seam, but the effect can be reduced with good seam pressing. It made a much fuller skirt than I could have produced with a one-piece pattern design.

I do agree with Crimson, that the necklace does need to be longer in order to get Anna's double loops in. You could also wear a smaller version of the first necklace to get the same effect. Adding the matching bracelet would be a good touch.

The biggest critique I have would be to make the scarf longer...the color's really good and I like the fabric. But Anna's scarf is pretty long in most reference images I've seen of her (mine goes to my knees when it's tied).

AE/Kumori Con
Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke); Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Autumn '08/Aki Con
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2); Shura!Sakura, Jade!Syaoran (Tsubasa: RC); Kokon (Kon Kon Kokon)
Kumi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Hina
Feelin' the Aster

Just a note for any other potential Annas who may lurk this forum: after several experiments, I have determined that most any styling would be pulled flat by the bandana because I need to pull it tight enough so that the weight of the extra fabric doesn't pull it off. The next time I wear this costume, I will give myself a good half hour prep time so that I can style the exposed hair peices after I've put the wig and hair wrap on. I will trim the hair a few inches as soon as I get a new pair of proper scissors.

Thank you very much for all the advice on the necklace. Actually, I have succeeded in getting it double-wrapped around my neck, and the pendent even falls at a decent length. Until I can get around to making a new one, it's not the worst temp acessory to have. I've searched everywhere for the "proper"-sized beads, to no avail, and may have to resort to purchasing them from the Joanne's website. I also got a bracelette to match.

I needed to get new fabric for the scarf, anyway, so I'll measure out a longer peice. Not too long, though--don't wanna be tripping over the darn thing. :P I'm also considering figure out a way to wire the edges of the borroms to make them "flare" out a bit more. Curse you, gravity-defying anime physics!

The only thing that really leaves me stumped is the skirt bit. I am not much of a sewer, and the dress you see was a lucky cheap buy from Goodwill. The fabric is very difficult to work with, and I'd have to consult a friend on getting the extra needed for a skirt. I may eventually just have to resort to making a whole new dress, but I will take your advice, Kumi-chan. (Your Anna looks amazing, btw!)

Unfortunately, I will not have the money to do all of this right away. I'm starting with the bandana, wig, and jewelry. Later this year, I'll see what I can do about the dress.
+Serenity Wheeler || YGO
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
Kumi-chan
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

If you can't find round beads in the right size for cheap, try looking in the wood crafts section of your local craft store. They'll have bags of round beads in various sizes; I used two large bags and needed every bead for my necklace and bracelet. Also get a large can of blue spray paint, a can of glossy sealer, and some clear fishing line/acrylic bead thread. I'll PM you the rest of my method, since it's rather long to list here.

For the scarf, you just need to figure out how much is taken up on your head and in the knot, then just add the length you want it to fall to. For instance: head (24") + knot (18") + tails (36" x 2) = 114", or 3.5 yards long (use a flexible tape measure to get your measurements). To cheat and buy less fabric, you can join a center section (the head and knot) to the tails. The seams will be hidden by the knot. To get more "flare", make the scarf extra wide (18" - 24"). Fold it lengthwise to tie it around your head and knot it, and let the ends dangle. Mine actually is stitched permanantly into the folded position on the head/knot section, but you don't have to do this.

If you want help making a pattern for the dress, I'd be glad to help. It's pretty simple, it just takes a little math to get the bodice and the waist edge of the skirt to match up without gathering.

Thanks for the compliment!

AE/Kumori Con
Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke); Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Autumn '08/Aki Con
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2); Shura!Sakura, Jade!Syaoran (Tsubasa: RC); Kokon (Kon Kon Kokon)
Kumi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Pollaris
is barely ever online

The dress looks a bit too "dead" It needs some flair in my oppinion :3 The wig could be trimmed a bit and I have a slight issue with the fact the ends of the hair go inward, when their straight in the actual anime/manga.

I really like the shoes, their the closest thing I've seen to hers so far xD

Overall, a very good cosplay, A lot of people tend to slack off when it comes to easy cosplay.

Zombie day [Zoey-Left 4 Dead]
Otakon [Girlycard-Hellsing, Rena-Higurashi, Zoey- Left 4 Dead, Rin-Vocaloid]
Pollaris is offline   Reply With Quote