Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #1486
Mr. Robot

The sad thing about the huge picture count is that is that it should be a VERY easy bug to fix. I can't speak to exactly what other people experiencing it did to cause it exactly, but I imagine it went something like this as it did for me:

They tried to upload pictures, and despite following the posted guidelines for size, total upload size, etc, it blew up because the real limitations are somewhere between the posted ones and what they used to me.

This results in a "ghost" picture, which you can access by going to pictures, selecting a non-ghost picture, and then using the frame to go the next/previous one. Now, you are looking at the ghost picture, and you have the option to delete, which I did. (for a good many of them in my case, as it took a while of trial and error to figure out the sweet spot for photo uploading)

Now this is where the problem occurs. When the uploader blows up, it has gotten as far as allocating a spot for the picture gets uploaded, but it does NOT increment the photo count. I assume that happens somehwhere downstream when the picture is successfully uploaded. However, the error handler does not deallocate the space for the picture, which is why the ghost one shows up. But, when you delete the ghost picture, it DOES decrement the photo count, despite never being incremented, which results in a picture count that is too low by however many ghost pictures you delete.

The reason the number becomes enormous is because is because of integer overflow. The picture count seems to be stored as an unsigned 32-bit integer. What happens is that when you delete more ghost pictures than you previously had overall, it decrements from zero, which results in it turning over and becoming the maximum number that the integer can hold, or 4,294,967,295. Deleting more pictures will result in in continuously decrementing from this number. Theoretically, if you uploaded more pictures successfully, you could get the number back to zero by exceeding that maximum number. (which, hey, it looks like the next time I upload a picture I will get to test that theory, lol) Of course, the count will still be completely wrong, but at least it'll look less dumb. The same principal seems to apply to costume picture counts too, if you selected one to associate the picture to at upload time like I did, since I have a costume with a silly number as a result of deleting ghost pictures from unsuccessful uploads to it. I imagine it is the same for albums in general too.

But anyway, fixing it would just require moving a line of code. Of course, the right thing to do is to fix the absurd bugs in the uploader that make this site borderline unusable for it's primary purpose, but at the very least they could prevent the integer overflow by making sure to increment the picture count at allocation time, so ghost pictures become accounted for in the number, or by making sure to catch uploader errors and remove the ghost pictures on error, or preferably both to be safe, decrementing the count when automatically removing ghost pictures. I can't imagine it would be particularly difficult to write a one-time script that updates the numbers to be correct site-wide, either, but alas, the maintenance of this site is abysmal.

TL;DR- The uploader is bad at error handling and increases the count at the wrong time. The simple fix for it is a half hour at most to find and move at most a handful of lines of code, and the better fix and/or correcting everyone's counts probably at most a day. XP
Mr. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #1487
Kyuukochii

My post count doesn't seem to be, well... Counting. I know I've got at least three((Now counting this as four)) posts on the forum, but for some reason the counter is still at 0.

I'm still a newbie, so I'm not sure if this is just an issue new users are having, or if it's just a bug on my profile?

Next stop..!
Portcon Maine 2014!

Con list:
Another Anime Convention 2014

Current cosplay list:
Asuna Yuuki -Sword Art Online(SAO) Dream cosplay! - 10%
Izaya Orihara - Durarara(DRRR!) - 100%!
Kanra Orihara - Durarara(DRRR!) - 0%
Kida Masaomi - Durarara(DRRR!) - 100%!
Honey-Senpai - Ouran High School Host Club(OHSHC)
- 100%!
Kyuukochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #1488
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuukochii View Post
My post count doesn't seem to be, well... Counting. I know I've got at least three((Now counting this as four)) posts on the forum, but for some reason the counter is still at 0.

I'm still a newbie, so I'm not sure if this is just an issue new users are having, or if it's just a bug on my profile?
Your posts are most likely caught in the spam filter at the moment. Once a mod gets the chance to go through the filter and deem you a real person, the posts will get posted and your post count will go up.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #1489
Kyuukochii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Your posts are most likely caught in the spam filter at the moment. Once a mod gets the chance to go through the filter and deem you a real person, the posts will get posted and your post count will go up.
Ahh, thank you for clearing that up! I was just getting worried about it.

Next stop..!
Portcon Maine 2014!

Con list:
Another Anime Convention 2014

Current cosplay list:
Asuna Yuuki -Sword Art Online(SAO) Dream cosplay! - 10%
Izaya Orihara - Durarara(DRRR!) - 100%!
Kanra Orihara - Durarara(DRRR!) - 0%
Kida Masaomi - Durarara(DRRR!) - 100%!
Honey-Senpai - Ouran High School Host Club(OHSHC)
- 100%!
Kyuukochii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #1490
gingergiggles2

I'm new on this site,. The first time I made a post it went right up, no problem. But every time I make a new post since then I get a message saying the post will be reviewed before being put up, or something of that nature. Its gone too fast to read. Which would be fine but its been days and I have put up 3 questions and none of them can be found. This has rendered the site useless for me, and I was forced to make a new account to try and ask about this issue.
gingergiggles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #1491
Hino_Rei-chan
Senshi of Flame & Passion

I'm seeing that I can't make any edits to costumes or add photos to my gallery. For the photos, it tells me it uploads and to wait two minutes for it to appear (after I upload one at a time). I wait more than two minutes, in fact just checked again after it's been 20 min, and the photo never shows up. In one case it told me my photo had to be under 450kb where the main photo upload page says 800kb.

As far as updating costumes, I click the button after putting in the new description and all it does is go to a blank page. No edits ever appear on the costume's information.
Hino_Rei-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #1492
VagrantSolCasca

No Comment Box Appears

Hi everyone! Ive been having issues with the Comment Box appearing under other member's photos not appearing. I see so many good costumes I would to comment on, but no box appears. I can see that other people can comment (even recently), but I can't. I have all plugins updated and my browser (firefox) is up to date as well. Anyone else having this issue?
VagrantSolCasca is offline   Reply With Quote