Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-08-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
zephy
The Manda-Rin Orange

Question Plastic, Resin or other casting...

I have several accesories for several costumes that I'm working on that I would like to do in either some sort of resin or plastic. I've looked over tutorials on the processes, etc., but I'm actually having trouble FIND ING the supplies to do this. I checked the hobby store near where I live and was unable to find any supplies for the stuff. I know a place where I can get silicone rubber to create a mold, but otherwise, I have no clue where to get the actual resin materials. Are there any online shops you know of that carry them? Any help, recommendations or information would be greatly appreciated.
zephy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
StacyMichelle

Same here, looking for casting things. Any help would be great!
StacyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
Mouko
I am evil

http://www.lumicast.com/links.html

mew, links to find supplies such as resin and such.
Unread 06-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #4
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

If you can find some 2part epoxy at walmart that stuff works just as good as any clear resin and doesnt cost an arm and a leg for a catalyst.
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

michaels craft stores, any plastic store, beverly's craft stores should carry it. It comes in a can and the catelyst comes in a tiny bottle (sold separately) it's clear yes but that's all I've been ever able to get my hands on. As for molding you can use almost anything, plaster of paris light bulbs, you name it u can cast in it. The only problem is it can't be porous, and it must be able to withstand heat. Get yourself mold release if you feel like your mold won't let the resin come up easily. Just apply it before you pour your resin and it should let it slide easily out of the mold.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #6
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

I would highly reccomend the mold release - it's in a bottle and is dark purple. It leaves your cast with a nice smooth, glossy finish.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 12:08 AM   #7
kylash327
PlasticGeek.com

or just use vasaline, probably a fraction of the cost again ^_^;
kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
trabus
kittens inside!

I have used alumilite for a couple projects and really liked the results. It's pretty easy to use and fairly reasonable in price. You can get the a basic kit for $40, which includes the mold making material.
Here is a link to the stores that carry it in PA.
http://www.alumilite.com/dealers.cfm?func=go&state=PA
trabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2003, 09:13 PM   #9
KIL78
Scallywag

there is a place in harrisburg pa called the adventure's guild and they not only sell the supplies but the owner, rich teaches classes on how to cast p#717-561-8140
KIL78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 02:17 AM   #10
videogirlc

Got my resin casting suppplies at arts and crafts store at Pearl's, I've also seen them at a place called the Art Store. If you get the special resin casting molds they come out with no problem. The only problem is they don't come in many shapes or sizes.
videogirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #11
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

>or just use vasaline, probably a fraction of the cost again ^_^;

Vaseline won't make a smooth, tissue-paper thin coat on the inside of the mold, so it will leave your final cast kinda lumpy. Also, the greasy-ness of it might react with the resin and do some funky things. I'm not really sure, but since resin is expensive, I wouldn't chance it. Besides, 1 bottle is probably all you'll ever need, it usually only takes a few drops to coat the inside of the mold. The mold release doesn't cost much, I really would suggest getting some of it.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 09:49 PM   #12
snyper
Thread Killer

If you want GOOD resin and RTV (Room Temperature Viscosity) molding material, you're going to pay for it, but in the long run, it's money well spent. All of the cheaper resins have a tendacy to crack, flake and chip apart *very* easily.

I use a 2 part resin from a company called "smooth-on" ( http://www.smooth-on.com/ ) it's not cheap, but it is affordable. About $60 for a 2 gallon kit of resin. The mold material is more expensive, but it's good quality stuff that will last for many pulls/casts.

We use this stuff for all the Stormtrooper blasters and such for our Star Wars costuming group here in Arizona. This is what we make our MG-34 Machine Gun replicas out of, and those take quite a beating while we're out "trooping". A good RTV will mold each and every tiny detail too, which, if you spend a lot of time sculpting something, you want those little extras to shine through, right?

You might want to look into it.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by snyper : 07-08-2003 at 09:51 PM.
snyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2003, 04:02 AM   #13
Icetigris
Internets Winner

They sell the release agent at Michaels, right? Last time I was there I only remember seeing the prepolymer and the catalyst, tho. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention...
Icetigris is offline   Reply With Quote