Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gurren Lagann

Unread 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
ryoma45

Help with Glasses [Kamina]

Hi. I've been trying to make a pair of Kamina's from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann glasses. I have the plastic cut and polished up a treat, but i can't figure out a way of wearing the thing. In the anime he simply just places them on his face, but obvioulsy i don't have that ability ( not yet it seems). Any help or ideas as of how to wear them would be appreciated as i'm pretty much stuck.

EDIT - sorry, i've just noticed i wasn't in the right category when i posted this, must of clicked one too many tabs along. Please move this topic to the right area unless it can't be.

Last edited by ryoma45 : 02-01-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: notice for posting in wrong area
ryoma45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

You can have a mod move it for you by using the "report thread" button (its the ! in the triangle, to the left and down).

Where ever your thread ends up, it would help if you add a link to a reference picture!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
bandXaided
-almost Byaku's alter ego

i would do some clear cheapos hunting, cut (or screw) off the two side thingies that hang on your ear and glue them on the plastic...

i do envy those anime/manga characters to make accessories magically stick...>____>;
it'd make life so much easier XD

+Cons+
prolly Otakon 2011, maybe NYAF.

You are a neglected Cosplayer when you look for photos of yourself forever after a con and you cannot find more than three. If you are, join the club, and begin your post with something related to neglected cosplayers!

bandXaided is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
ryoma45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandXaided View Post
i would do some clear cheapos hunting, cut (or screw) off the two side thingies that hang on your ear and glue them on the plastic...

i do envy those anime/manga characters to make accessories magically stick...>____>;
it'd make life so much easier XD
ye that was what i was thinking would be my main way of doing them. The cheapest i seen a pair of glasses to buy though were £12 ($24-25 ish) with the right arms to unscrew. I was thinking of buying a nose plug from ebay that swimmers use and glueing that onto the middle, but i reckon that the plug will be too soft and will not stay on the bridge of my nose well under the weight of the plastic ( it's only 3mm, but as you can see from the picture the glasses are quite big).

one last way i was thinking was just drilling 2 holes much like for the arms of the glasses, but using thin elastic that i have. By using 2 or 3 straps, it could be hidden under my hair easily, with only the knot on the glasses showing.

What do you think? Which would look best? I'm pretty sure i've seen someone on this site with a picture of them in a Kamina outfit with the glasses on, but i can't tell how they are on him.

Last edited by ryoma45 : 02-01-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
bandXaided

i dunno, i personally think that elastic would be kinda wierd-looking...but if this con is a while from now, just go "shopping"/glasses hunting alot...but if the con's really close then i'd just use the elastic...

edit:// also, make sure that your comfort is put into your decision...i'm telling you from expierence that glasses that don't fit right are a nightmare... =/

+Cons+

You are a neglected Cosplayer when you look for photos of yourself forever after a con and you cannot find more than three. If you are, join the club, and begin your post with something related to neglected cosplayers!

Unread 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
ryoma45

from the shape of the glasses, wearing them for long times is gonna be a pain, which is why i smoothed and polished the edges of the plastic to make sure there were no sharp edges or corners. they feel alrite when i try them on, but without wearing them for a while i won't know.

cheers for the help and all, will post some pics when i get round to sorting it all out.
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
bandXaided

good luck then. i hope i helped :3

+Cons+

Unread 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
waterdancer

i like the swimmers plug idea. i was gonna suggest to you to affix some of those nose things for comfort anyway. you might, and i do stress MIGHT, be able to just stick with the swimmers plug. toy with it and se what you get.

also, if after you figure out what you want and decide you dont like how you can see it through the plastic, you can prob get some orange paint that matches your glasses and lightly brush some on the inside so that you cant see past it. but... that woudl take some toying. 8D have fun and good luck! ^-^
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
FallingAngel
God, I feel...Geeky.....

Have you thought about trying to actually glue them straight to your nose? I know they make skin safe glues, I just don't know whether it would be strong enough to hold the weight.
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Okami Yokai
Wanderer

How about using spirit gum to adhere it to the area between your eye brows?
Okami Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Nikle

I've been thinking of "surgically" placing small magnets around and under the eyebrows. Then glue some small magnets unnoticeably onto the glasses, then weird people out with your awesome, magically sticking glasses.

I don't know really.
That's how it worked out in my head.
Nikle is offline   Reply With Quote