Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Air Gear

Unread 02-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Kayu-sama

Shoe modifying help

I hope this is in the right forum.

I'm thinking of trying something I haven't done before, and that's taking a pair of shoes and modifying them slightly.

Here's what I'm trying to make

I realize they're skates, but 1) I can't skate and 2) not sure how the con would feel about that, so I'm going for a slightly innacurate, con-friendly version, and ignoring the wheels and brake and just making shoes in that style.

I found these

And I figure I can get either a material similar to the outside of the shoe (they're imitation suede) or some pleather, and cut the desgins and attach them to the shoe. My dilemma is that these are nice, expensive shoes, and I don't wanna ruin them. For example glue might wreck the shoes.

Is there any possible way to attach something to these and be able to remove it without ruining a nice pair of shoes?
Kayu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Sintakz

Might I suggest boot covers?

http://www.sarcasm-hime.net/bootcovers-tutorial.html

and as for the skates, Air Gear?
Sintakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Kayu-sama

Boot covers would be good but I've had lots of trouble with them in the past, and actually they're more work. It's a possibility though, but it also means more fabric/material I have to buy.
Kayu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
chris-chan
the one and only

im guessing this is an air gear cosplay.
and i tried hotglue on denim when i tried to make my own converse (totally failed by the way) and i thought t would leak through, but it didnt, so the best i have to say id, try it on a piece of scrap. go to joanns or somewhere that sells fabirc, get a swatch of the fabric you want to put on, and a swatch of something close to what the shoes are made out of (or, if you can, the same fabric, or go to goodwill and get a cheap pair of sneakers to try on). other than that, dont think i can help you out. good luck though.
chris-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
lost_teflon
SHOXX is my VOGUE

I second the idea of looking in goodwill; it seems if boot covers won't work you've got to get something you don't mind covering and gluing on.

You can even add your own platforms to shoes with layers of cork. I've used professional shoe glue to glue layers of cork together but it's super toxic and not easy to come by. Maybe where you get the cork you can ask what's the best glue for that, same goes for gluing to the rubber.

After you tackle that hurdle, just cut the cork in layers of the shape you want, and after you glue them together use a dremmel or sander to sand it down to the correct shape.

I guess a skate shoe would be best to look for because it will have a completely flat sole to stick the cork to. Maybe you could find a cheap skate shoe at payless.

Hope this helps, and Good luck!

Otakon 2011 Lineup
Jasmine You (Revenant Choir)- Friday and Saturday
Switzerland- Sunday

2011 shall be known as the year of epic j-rock cosplay!
Jasmine You~ Revenant Choir (DONE)
Hizaki~ Philia and Masquerade (Maybe....)
Reita~ Filth in the Beauty (if I have energy!)

Last edited by lost_teflon : 02-05-2008 at 03:47 PM.
lost_teflon is offline   Reply With Quote