Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > The Orange Box

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Scoti
Lv. 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyora View Post
as a fan of GLaDOS, a while back, I had kind of thrown around the idea of cosplaying her, but with her being just... A crapload of wires and orbs, I decided it'd be quite difficult and unwillingly left the idea behind.

Just yesterday though, one of my friends showed me this picture of a GLaDOS humanoid design.
http://i26.tinypic.com/v7hbnq.jpg

Anyways, first impression: "OMFGSHE'SSOCUTE, I SHOULD DO IT."

I don't think I'd bother with the contacts, and I'm sure I could use my Suigintou wig to work for the hair, and it doesn't seem too difficult of a cosplay.

The thing I'm worried about is... Will people recognize me possibly as a GLaDOS design?

PS. I also plan on making a cake bag/something, in which I'll stuff a diary entry titled "how to kill a man with your bare hands," my cell phone, wallet, and anything else I'll need. It's a bit more of an advanced cake. I'd add fish-shaped dirt, fish-shaped ethyl benzene, needle injectors, and more if I could.
It is cute as a design and the cake would help identifying you. IMO though
it doesn't really capture what I envisioned GLaDOS would look like but it's not my costume

Unread 02-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
Kyora
Rawwrr. >w<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoti View Post
It is cute as a design and the cake would help identifying you. IMO though
it doesn't really capture what I envisioned GLaDOS would look like but it's not my costume
Same here -- I've been thinking of altering the colors a bit though. It seems too... White? I've been contemplating either changing the white to maybe a slate grey, or switching the black and white, so that it'd be more black with white trims. I've also been doodling my own GLaDOS designs but I haven't found one I'm confident with yet.
Kyora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #18
akuriko
Awake For The Moment

Quote:
as a fan of GLaDOS, a while back, I had kind of thrown around the idea of cosplaying her, but with her being just... A crapload of wires and orbs, I decided it'd be quite difficult and unwillingly left the idea behind.

Just yesterday though, one of my friends showed me this picture of a GLaDOS humanoid design.

I don't think I'd bother with the contacts, and I'm sure I could use my Suigintou wig to work for the hair, and it doesn't seem too difficult of a cosplay.

The thing I'm worried about is... Will people recognize me possibly as a GLaDOS design?

PS. I also plan on making a cake bag/something, in which I'll stuff a diary entry titled "how to kill a man with your bare hands," my cell phone, wallet, and anything else I'll need. It's a bit more of an advanced cake. I'd add fish-shaped dirt, fish-shaped ethyl benzene, needle injectors, and more if I could.
OMFG That is adorable!! XDDD And all the little accessories make me giggle. I was going to say "Hey what about fish-shaped solid waste?" But then I was like "Oh, right, that's kinda nasty." AND REMEMBER WHEN THE PLATFORM WAS SLIDING INTO INTO THE FIRE PIT AND I WAS ALL GOOD BYE! AND YOU WERE LIKE NO WAY! AND THEN I WAS ALL WE PRETENDED LIKE WE WERE GOING TO MURDER YOU? THAT WAS GREAT.

Lol, I had to. XDD
Anyway, I agree that's a great design, and as long as you have the Aperture logo on the sleeve people will recognize you. And the spheres on the pigtails would be a dead give away. The only qualm I have is that GLaDOS has never struck me as a childish figure. Maybe more of a young adult? Also, I think you should keep the white, because it's a sanitary color. Plus it keeps the creepy vibe. ^ ^ ♥ Love GLaDOS.
akuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
matwix_2004

Hey.
I was thinking of doing a male apature science test subject cosplay (as I couldn;t cosplay Chell, I'm not into crossplaying). I was just wondering how you would make the gun.

I started on the handle, that was originally intended to be a mock-up, made from cardboard.

What is the material that the spring/shoe things that you made were from? The top bit that connects to your leg that is. XD
matwix_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #20
amethystducky
Beep Beep

My brother's doing a Pyro (Team Fortress 2)cosplay and brought up the idea of cosplaying other Orange Box characters. He asked how I'd do GlaDos or what I think a humanoid GlaD would look like.
I said a female Scientist cyborg thing ^^.

White lab coat, smart trousers/skirt. Then wires, buttons and scanners ( like mini versions of her cameras) here and there . As for her spheres; maybe on a necklace or other jewelery.

I saw a picture of a Companion Cube cosplay on 4chan last night with the caption " you have to think outside the box" next to it.
amethystducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
TR Rose
Meowing About

I have a question for the thread:
How would you go about making the heel springs stay connected to your legs? I have some ideas about making the springs, but putting them on seems difficult. Any input?
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

TR Rose: For mine I used 2 way fashion tape:

http://www.hollywoodfashiontape.com/products_tape.cfm

It might depend on what your springs are made from, but mine are pretty light so the tape worked really well ^^ Hope that helps ^^
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #23
Calviin

I dunno if anyone is interested, but I've been making stuffed companion cubes for a few weeks now. I've made them in sizes ranging from 6" to life-size.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...40712_9951.jpg
www.crack-crew.com
Calviin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
new_ike
acting with impunity, lol

Quote:

Oh lord, GLaDOS-tan, too cute.
...Maybe if the orange control sphere (you know, "Who are you? Where am I? What's that? What's that?") suddenly became the dominant personality, it could work.
I definitely think that having the Aperture Science brand somewhere on the costume would help identify you, as well as having either a cube or a cake or a turret.
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #25
7hir7een

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calviin View Post
I dunno if anyone is interested, but I've been making stuffed companion cubes for a few weeks now. I've made them in sizes ranging from 6" to life-size.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...40712_9951.jpg
That looks wonderful! I've been wanting a companion cube for a long time, but unfortunately I fail at making that kind of thing
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
Tyigra
There really was a cake..

I'm planning on cosplaying as Chell for A-Kon in Dallas. I've got a 70's jumpsuit sewing pattern, but I'm starting on the gun since it will probably be the hardest part. I'll follow up with pictures once I have something to show, but I'm planning on it doing everything but actually make portals.
Tyigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #27
TR Rose
Meowing About

My costume is almost done. The jumpsuit is basically finished, just needs the belt, the front leg pockets, the chest pocket, and the "Aperture" label on the front. The Companion Cube is on its way too - got the basic box shape made, and all the dimensions and proportions figured out. Now I need to start making the raised boxy sections before coating the whole thing with fiberglass & painting.

Hopefully I'll have this done in time for All-Con (next weekend) or at the very least, A-Kon.
• 10th Doctor
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #28
TR Rose
Meowing About

Chell is finished! Not many photos yet since I just debuted her today, but I had to post this one.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1434311/
• 10th Doctor
Unread 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

TR Rose: xD that's great! and you're eating cake that's cute. I can't wait to see more pictures did you have a companion cube with you? I was at Megacon this weekend and I saw 2 or 3 cubes walking around and I thought "ugh! I wish I had my Chell finished!" xD
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #30
TR Rose
Meowing About

My Companion Cube didn't get finished in time. It's currently a large cardboard cube (20" per side) covered in fiberglass resin. I made up blueprints for the corners and middle sections, but there wasn't time.
The Portal Gun was Plan B. When that almost didn't get finished either, the Cake became Plan C.

I entered the costume contest and sang the first verse of "Still Alive" - wondering if anyone recorded it?
• 10th Doctor