Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
xCalintzx
Flurry of dancing Flames

Kingdom Hearts Wig

I do need help on Axels Wig O__o
I already did two, but they don't look good. One was from ebay and was styled ( http://i31.tinypic.com/2i0u440.jpg , http://i27.tinypic.com/21dlis8.jpg ), the other one was buyed from ebay and the first time selfstyled ( http://i27.tinypic.com/2mh75w4.jpg ).
This experience has taught me one thing: It's hard to style a good one that looks acceptable. Because of the lack of styling-knowledge I went on many sides and searched for help. I finally found this site (which I had heard from before) and joined to get help Also, I know there are a few threads about Axel's Wig, but I wasn't satisfied.

I've heard that the punky wig from CosWorx is good, or nearly made, for Axel. ( http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?p...at=2471&page=1 ) Which red tone is the best? Is XL better than the normal punky? I've read the thread about CosWorx Wigs in Action but also, I wasn't pleased as well.

Where should I start on the wig? The front? How do the spikes look the best and how do I fix them? Can I spray black tafft on it, so it looks realer? How do I not destroy the spikes when I'm trying to put the wig on?
Which produt do I use the best? ( I used got2b spray and normal tafft, no glue) How do I get the spikes under the hood if possible?

I'm sorry for those fussy questions, but I didn't got practical answers anywhere.
I'm still a beginner. Sorry for that :/ I hope to get help here.

Last edited by xCalintzx : 02-05-2008 at 12:55 AM.
xCalintzx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Cora
Shine Forever

I believe (from what I've heard people talking about lately) that Cosworx is currently out of just the plain red Punky. I can't remember if it's still available in the Punky XL...but either way, there is a Red/1TL (or 1/Red TL...I can't remember which way it goes), which is basically black roots with red tips, and resembles Axel's hair pretty well. You'd be safe with getting one of those, or if you wanted, you could wait until the Red ones are back in stock, and then color the roots by hand with a black or burgundy sharpie (or both).

The thing about the plain Red punky is that it tends to wash out to orange in some photos when taken in direct sunlight (as you can see in my avatar). But on the whole it photographs nicely.

When I style Axel, I always start from the top and work my way down - this means doing the front "crown" as I call it. I start with the front middle spike and work my way around the frame of the face, then I go back to the top and start with the body of the spikes. This is mostly because the shapes around Axel's face are the ones that are most unique to his character, and anything in back can basically be improvised.

When spiking, I section off the chunk I want, trim when neccessary using a zig-zag cut ("up and down" perpendicular to the direction of the fiber). If you cut straight across, the spike won't taper and will look, well...choppy. Once I've got the length I want, I use Got2BGlued Blasting Freezing spray and give it a good coat all the way around (but not too much to slick it down and make it heavy). I then use a little (emphasis on little) bit of the Got2b Hair glue and use it to slick and hold the tips together. After that, I let the spikes dry. You can use a hairdryer to speed the process up, but make sure it's on a LOW velocity, otherwise the force of the air will destroy your work. Personally, I like to let things airdry before moving on...it takes me a LOT longer to get through a wig than some people, but the results are worth it, I think.

As for not destroying the spikes when you put it on...as long as you don't yank on anything too hard, they should withstand to you getting into the wig. I generally hold it upside-down, carefully, and then sort of...duck my head into it. Adjust as needed and then go. I highly suggest getting some clips to sew into your wig...Sally Beauty sells them as Extension Clips. Sew them along the hairline of the wig where they can easily clip onto your wig-cap...and they're a lifesaver. This way you don't have to worry about getting bobby or hair pins into your styled wig and potentially ruining pieces of it.

If, at some point, your spikes get damaged, you can easily wash the product out of the wig by soaking it in warm water with some generic shampoo (I've used kid's shampoo and something like Garnier Fructise daily shampoo, 'cuz that's all i had on hand at the time. Wig shampoo, of course, will work fine too). You'll have to probably rub at some parts to get it all out, but once most of it is out, just let it drip-dry (or blow dry it, but not too much heat), and then brush it out, and you can re-style it.

Getting spikes under a hood would be tricky...I generally don't worry about it because Axel rarely ever has his hood up. Your hood would have to be rather...large to accomodate the wig without having to worry about squishing it. So if it's not something you really need the costume to do, I'd just not worry about it, and plan to leave the hood down for the most part.

I hope that helped a little~

Last edited by Cora : 02-04-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
-Kitsu

I'm with Cora on this one with everything except one thing. I normally go from bottom to top with Axel. Also I use those tiny clips from target to group each spiked to make sure I don't put too much in each one before going back through and setting them.
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
xCalintzx
Flurry of dancing Flames

Thanks to both of you.
This was a very detailed help and I think that I can now deal with the wig.
Expect for the fact that I don't have the money, I sure will upload some photos.
Thanks a lot again. My search of good help is finally over!

Ps: I think you're right, Cora. I know that it's hard to keep the hair under the hood, so I'm just leaving it like it is.
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
dracoXK

I know i did not ask for it, but thanks for this! I am also going to be Axel (in April) and was looking for help with wig shopping and styling it >w<

XL is also out of red, but i did go with the 1b/REDTL will be off-black but i figured i could use sharpie like mentioned above.

anywho, thanks for the help for me too!
dracoXK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
xCalintzx
Flurry of dancing Flames

I rly hate to ask this but I've to.
A sharpie is basically the same in the US like an edding in germany, right? ( http://www.schoenherr.de/shop/productimage/1866.jpg )
Just asking because I'm not sure. I come from germany and never heard of a sharpie o0 And I don't want to draw with something on my wig I'm not sure about.

Also, I wanted to ask where I can look up the 1b/REDTL wigcolor? I know how the partyred one looks, but I can't view the colorbrandle right now. It could be just a problem from my pc or from the cosplay.com server. If someone has a picture I would be glad for showing it to me :3
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
xCalintzx
Flurry of dancing Flames

I was searching for the look of the 1b/RETL look but the colorbrandle won't work any ideas how I can look at it?
I already do know how the partyred one looks and I'm pretty sure to wait for it and sharpy-dye it handmade but I want to get safe.
Unread 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Cora
Shine Forever

Here is an example of what the 1b/REDTL looks like (copy/paste, for whatever reason amphigory doesn't like to be made into URLs) ^_^

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_punky_xl.html
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
dracoXK

YAY! thanks! <3 I was hoping that that was what the wig i was getting looked like! *is super excited now*
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
koibito813
do the forbidden dance!!

yes. ditto with cora on that amphigory wig. i purchased that wig last week and it should be arriving on friday this week. it's a very full wig and has just the right length so you can feel free to snip-snip and style style. the hair glue "got2b glued" and the freezing spray are your best friends when styling spiky wigs. you could refer to the roxas wig tutorial by Amy the Yu to figure out how to shape the spikes. it's very helpful for any kingdom hearts wig.

also, i think i should mention butterfly cilps. they are these small, plastic clips that you see little girls wearing many a time. they don't clamp down hard on the spike done but hold just hard enough and hold the spike in a "round" shape while it dries. need anymore help, just ask. <3
Unread 02-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
xCalintzx
Flurry of dancing Flames

yes I know that tutorial ^^ and I always use got2b stuff, so this won't be a problem.

I really would like to see the 1b/REDTL one in use, kinda on Axels hairstyle or just so on heads xD I'm not sure about it because it's so dark underside.
And if I don't like it I can use the red one and sharpie dye it anyways darker XD I'm just interested and really want to make this wig better than the other 2.
Unread 02-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #12
koibito813
do the forbidden dance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCalintzx View Post
yes I know that tutorial ^^ and I always use got2b stuff, so this won't be a problem.

I really would like to see the 1b/REDTL one in use, kinda on Axels hairstyle or just so on heads xD I'm not sure about it because it's so dark underside.
And if I don't like it I can use the red one and sharpie dye it anyways darker XD I'm just interested and really want to make this wig better than the other 2.
hm...I wouldnt worry about it being too dark at the roots. If you really look at axel's hair you should notice that he has nearly black roots. Personally, the sharpie method is very helpful but only if you have enough hair. The punky xl is the most accurate I've seen. ;D I'll be sure to post pictures of my wig if it will help you get a better idea.
Unread 02-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #13
dracoXK

Well the best Axel wig i have ever seen has black roots. not sure if that is what she used but it looks much more real when you have the darker roots. I was actually looking for a wig with them. I was glad that i got the punk one with them
Unread 02-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
xCalintzx
Flurry of dancing Flames

Yes you're both right on the roots. I think I'm gonna get a 1b/REDTL one as well.
I would really like to see them on your cosplays ^-^ or when they're finished.
Also, I don't know if the XL isn't too long? I'm not good on cutting wig's so I worrie about it, I don't want it to look... edged xD Any suggestions of the lenghts?
Unread 02-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
dracoXK

I just got the punk, not the XL, i want as little work as possibel as i am making Axel, Roxas and Rukia from bleach XD;; I will be starting my cosplay (other then the coat) this weekend and will have pictures posted from the con so you will see my images for sure! :3

I am going to want to see yours too! fellow Axel's unite!

yeah this weekend is Charam making weekend! need to get them all cute out and things so my friend can paint in enough time to mail to New Zealand... *lives in California but then con i am going to is in NZ*