Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-06-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
Pulsatrix

Best type of paint for jewelry?

I'm making a locket, because it's impossible to find one like it IRL. The pieces that I'm using are plastic, and they need to look metallic. What's the best method of doing this? I was thinking of buying the gold foiling stuff that you can paint on things from Michael's. Or is there a particular brand of spray paint that I can buy in stores?
Pulsatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
AsuraRevenge
Pursuer of Beauty

In my experience, gold foil and I do not see eye to eye. Unless you are used to dealing with it (along with the glue and the applicator brushes and the sealants), your final product could have bumps and overlaps that could look rather unsightly.

I suggest that you use a spray paint for your metallic finish. I don't have any particular brand since I normally use automotive chrome finish for props, but you could ask someone at the store and they should be able to help you out.
AsuraRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I started using Krylon gold leafing Pen it’s the same type of paint in the can but I fined it a lot more easier to use for small objects.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Jonetsu
Seamstress Extrordinaire

::nodnod:: those gold paint pens work pretty well. I've used them in the past on pewter stuff and it makes it look gold plated. Also-one thing I definitely recommend-test first on scraps. You may also want to antique it, to give it more texture-just take some darker paint (either a darker gold or a brown) and put a coat on, then rub off most of it-it'll leave you with darker areas in the recessed parts, which looks sooo much better.

~Planned~In Progress~Wishlist~Completed~

~Nolanverse Harley Quinn~Seras Victoria~Fran~Rayne~L~Faye~Lulu~Gaara~Priss~Harley Quinn~Sei~Maya Natsume~Nuriko~Femme Vash~Rouge~

I do take commissions! They're high-quality, one of kind pieces custom-made for each client!
Jonetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Vavel
new/addicted to cosplay!

My experience with this subject is to go all out with the paint. Prime your surfaces to ensure a good even coat and for a firm hold. Start with spraying either a silver flake or chrome (if you can find it) that's going to be your base coat. Then after letting the first couple of base coats set use a good gold paint (gold flake, metalic, or if its the only thing left just plain gold will do) and lightly feather it over the silver if done correctly the silver metalic will shine through the gold and look amazing (that's how bandai does it special coating ^^). Also to note if you have an air brush you can mix pearls (ice pearls, blue pearls, or any colour of choice) into the gold or even a clear coat for an extra amount of sparkly-ness! Clear should be a must, sealing your work is very important to keep the paint from flaking off while using any prop. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Vavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Pulsatrix

Thanks for the advice, I found it very helpful. But yesterday I just found out that they are actualy made out of clay, does that change anything?
Pulsatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Bri-sama
abridged user

Well, if you've made sure to prime everything, I've found that I like this product called Rub'n'Buff.
You can find it at Michael's for usually around 3 dollars a tube. BUT THAT STUFF LASTS FOREVER. THERE'S NO END TO IT.

What one usually does is put the rub'n'buff on top of a painted surface. Here is a sample on what someone's done with metallic paint and some rub'n'buff.

I claimed Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin on the Claiming thread
Bri-sama is offline   Reply With Quote