Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
FaeryDust
Newbie Cosplayer

Lightbulb Original Cosplay - Thoughts and discussion

So I was thinking of doing a version of the Ouran Host Club but of the twin's cheshire cat outfit. Only I was thinking of doing it a bit different, and using a skirt with some cute leg warmers instead of pants, and adding a lolita hat to compliment the outfit, and maybe make a cute lolita styled choker with a huge cat bell on it. But I dunno how that would look.. O.o

What are your thoughts on original cosplays, or people whom edit character's outfits?
FaeryDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Depends how well it's done, generally. A fabulous costume is a fabulous costume. Personally, I have a vast preference for costumes as they're shown because I appreciate the challenge of translating a 2-D image as precisely as possible. "Like this outfit except not" seems much less of a challenge and thus, to me, a step down.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
dreamoflife02
are you lovers desu?

A lot of people do things like that, and a lot of people look down on people who do things like that. It all depends on if you care about being recognized.

Personally, I don't tend to like female versions of male costumes unless they're either A. incredibly well done or B. meant to be funny.

Otakon '12
Sheryl Nome | Macross Frontier
Aradia Megido [ fancy god tier ] | Homestuck
dreamoflife02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

I'm not often a fan of original cosplays. They make sense if they're something based off the show/game and the character, such as the FMA miniskirts before they got blown way out of proportion. But most things people use for concept cosplay, such as male-to-female or vise versa, pajama, swimsuit, or lolita versions don't often suit the characters and just seem to me like someone is being lazy, or doesn't have enough dedication or patience to do the original costume. I think it's better to spend all that time and money making the real costume, rather than making your own version and having to constantly explain why it's different.
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
FaeryDust
Newbie Cosplayer

True but sometimes original costumes can be really extensive too. And not everybody can sew, so they have to work around with what they can do. Though I agree some original costumes kind of take the work out of the costume itself, but then again I have seen some original costumes make the character's costume look even better by adding more details and what-not.
FaeryDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Missiechan

For the sake of vanity I think it's okay to do an edited version of a costume. For example, although Belldandy's dress is beautiful in its original form it could only look good on a thinnish girl with a small bust. When I made it I put in a princess waist and took out some of the layers to make it suit me. And as much as I want to cosplay Rock Lee, I'm going to have to make it a Sexy no Jutsu version because there is NO WAY that skintight suit is going to suit me, unless there's a cloakroom that I can check my boobs into. I think half the work of a costume is looking good in it.
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Rosie
Red-Headed Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryDust View Post
True but sometimes original costumes can be really extensive too. And not everybody can sew, so they have to work around with what they can do. Though I agree some original costumes kind of take the work out of the costume itself, but then again I have seen some original costumes make the character's costume look even better by adding more details and what-not.
True, a costume can seem daunting, but you'll never know what you're capable of if you don't take risks. In my experience, that's the best way of learning. Plus, with every costume you make, you pick up new skills. So don't be afraid to go out on a limb!
Unread 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Well, since you asked...

I don't really see much point in "editing" a costume unless it is to adapt it to your figure (as Missiechan mentioned) or for modesty. If you want to do a kitty/lolita, why not just design something of your own? Why does it have to be OHH related? If you really want to be recognized as something from OHH, why not just do one of the many costumes from it that will be recognized?

However, if what you really want to do is a modified OHH Cheshire Cat - then go for it! Why should my opinion matter to you? ^_^
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

For sure!

I believe a original cosplay can be quite fun and I've done a couple myself.
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
D001
D

I would have to agree with the sentiment that The Hag brought up: if you are modifying a costume to better suit you, that's no issue in the least. But if you are looking to make a variation costume the character wouldn't be in (ie- sexy no jutsu, lolita, catboys/girls, schoolboys/girls, etc) then I would say just design your own costume altogether with the elements you are looking for. Or, find another character that has a costume just like you want.

However, it is your costume and your fun. Do what you want. ^_^

(I do think that 1920s Naruto would be cool, though...)

D
D001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

I'm in the same camp as The Hag and D001 - though, if you really want to do it, do it. It's your costume, and you're the one that should feel comfortable with it.

The only real point I can see to doing a crossover would be if it was still obvious what character you were supposed to be - then some people might actually get the joke. Otherwise, I think it would get a bit confusing. But that's just me.

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Schuldig_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

I think you should do what you want. People who look down on you for not staying to source material should generally just get their priorities in-check.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Himaseki
Naoki

I'm honestly not fond of original cosplays, unless they were characters who usually just wear normal clothes, I don't mind. I tend to dislike some cosplayers who do characters in Sexy No Jutsu costumes when all they want to do is grab attention for the wrong reasons.

I do understand though that all of them aren't like that and usually do it as a joke or just fooling around in the convention.

I also get why cosplayers would revise a costume a bit to suit their body type more. No one would want an unflattering costume, would they?

Watanuki Kimihiro from xxxHolic [ ]
Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass [ ]
Akira from Togainu No Chi [x]
Ootori Kyouya from Ouran High School Host Club [x]
Hibari Kyoya from Katekyou Hitman Reborn [x]
Setsuna Mudou from Angel Sanctuary [x]
Himaseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Pliskin
Fortune Hunter

... I still don't understand why people should care what other costumes other people are wearing.

Is it somehow ruining the "sanctity" of a "religious" character or something?

C'mon people, get over it.
Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

The thread title asks for thoughts and discussion, Pliskin. These are our thoughts. Can it.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote