Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
lLonginus
, the Lance of

Cosplaying Miroku from Inuyasha

I considered posting this in the cosplaying for newbies section, but I figured it would get more hits and helpful advice in here.

I'm trying to make a costume for the Maine anime convention (Portcon) going on July 3rd-6th. I am quite inexperienced in costume design, have a somewhat limited budget, and about two months time total to apply work to this project. I could really use some advice on where to buy things for this, what to buy, techniques for putting it together, etc.

I figured I'd try to analyze the costume and break it down into parts so it would be easier to make.

Miroku's eyes are blue, mine are brown. Any idea where to get blue contacts for a reasonable price (and also, should I use opaque or clear contacts)?

My ears aren't pierced, and he has gold earrings. Would magnetized ones work, or should I bite the bullet and get them pierced?

He wears what looks like two pairs of robes, but it could be one robe and one blanket-type thing. And also, his purple over-robe is tied with a knot. How should I go about making it, and any idea how to tie the knot?

He wears a purple sort of gauntlet that looks potentially difficult to make. Advice?

Any suggestions on his ring/beads?

His staff looks to be a project in itself. I think I can probably make the staff body without too much difficulty, simply buying a pole of sorts at the nearest home improvement store and applying some sort of stain to get the right shade of brown while retaining the wood texture. I foresee some trouble with the staff-head though. What type of material should I make it out of? Should I carve it, pre-order it, forge it, make a mold? And afterwards, getting the rings inside. Though I might be able to make those afterwards...

Oh, and some authentic-ish tatami sandals would be pretty schnazzy

I really want to make this great, I can use all the help I can get though!

Last edited by lLonginus : 02-14-2008 at 06:05 AM.
lLonginus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
JohnnyOtaku

Hmmmm...Lemme me see if there's anything I can help you with. I did Miroku many years ago but my costume was ghetto compared to other cosplayers.

Contacts/piercings: can't help you there. I never messed with either one.

Black robe: What I did was I bought a kimono pattern. They usually sell them at fabric stores like Jo-Ann's or Handcock Fabrics. Usually they retail between $10.95-$12.95. I made the body part from the male pattern but used the sleaves from the female pattern since Miroku's swim in a lot of fabric. Then sewed on some velcro to hold it in place.

Purple toga/tunic: This was much difficult to pull-off. Just basically did a wrap-around and placed vecro "splots" in certain places that sometimes didn't hold completely. Especially when walking around all day. The bow out in front was separate and attached with a large safety pin. I don't want to come across and say that's exactly what you need to do because I'm sure there are other Miroku cosplayers who can do it A LOT better than me.

Armlet/beeds: What I did was went to my nearest leather works store (local place in Chattanooga) that sold "pre-dye" leather. In my case, purple. Then, I took a piece of cardboard and created a pattern based on actual sketch-art drawing's of Miroku's armlet from the InuYasha artbook. Once I was confortable with the design, I took a leather cutting scalpel (from my dad's workshop-was still living at home at the time) and cut the two components that make up the armlet using the pattern I made with the cardboard. One piece was the actual armlet and the other was the wristguard. Then I glued them as they appear on the artwork and after an overnight drying, traced the outer rims with a black marker/sharpie. Then I punched holes on the side bottom and threaded the holds with simple, black shoelaces. For the actual purple cloth, just a small piece of purple cloth held on your finger with a gold ring and adjust it like how Miroku does his and then pin together the cloth with a safety pin. I can't really give vivid details other than just play with it. Part of doing self-cosplay is the amount of trial/error you commit before you figure out "a-ha!!" Once you do figure out purple hand cloth, slip the armlet over it and tighten the shoelaces bit by bit. Then tie a small knot to hold it in place and that's it. For pearls I just bought like a dollar set at the local costume store and wrapped and tied them up until they were done.

Shoes: I just went with simple, gray flip-flops. Word of warning: Give your feet some rest from time to time because if you don't the part of the flip/flops that you slip your toe through will rub up against you and form some serious blisterage (just trust me on this)

Staff: There are some really good pre-made ones out there for as low as $15 (what I paid for mine at a dealer's room at Kunicon in Atlanta). So if you can find a place that sales them or someone can make you one, I say do that.

Anyway, I hope all this helps you and good luck.
JohnnyOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Kyriea
Rabid Fangirl!

You can acctually find fake earings that don't go all the way through, that would look convincing. Try your local thrift store, they have THOUSANDS of earings like that, and your sure to find some somewhere. As for the contacts, I've heard they all go for around 100$, possibly 50$, but you'd need to get an eye inspection first, just to make sure. I know how you feel. I've got blue eyes, but Tsunade has brown eyes. Thus, because of my budget, I'm going without them. Besides, in some pictures, you can't even see the contacts, and I'm sure no one would miss the color, unless they were really nit-picky.
I have no idea how to build a staff like his, but you could probably take it to the Props boards, and get a good idea how to make one. They're so friendly there, and there are tutorials galore!
Kyriea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Shara-chan
The Lightsaber Alchemist

I did Miroku as my first cosplay, but I'm still kinda new at it so I don't know how much it will help, but I bought the pattern, and made the purple attach to the black. Like, I didn't make it as a robe and a wrap around, but just used purple so it wouldn't be so hot for the convention I went to. My thing about the beads won't help, I bought a necklace and wrapped it around my arm, and made the glove from leftover fabric from the robe. My staff....I took an extender thingy for a paint roller((Sorry, idk the technical name)) and used gold tape to attach a styrofoam ring I painted gold to it. I got some binder rings for the circles on it, and put those on the ring first. For the shoes, I just wore brown flip flops. I didn't bother with contacts. Hope I helped, even though I probably didn't. ^_-'
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

Here's a thread or two on Miroku's staff:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Miroku
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
EelKat
Bride of Sesshomaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post

He wears what looks like two pairs of robes, but it could be one robe and one blanket-type thing. And also, his purple over-robe is tied with a knot. How should I go about making it, and any idea how to tie the knot?
This reply might be coming a bit too late, but if not, here's a photo of a real monk's robes that might help you out. Miroku's is black so you can't really see the details good, but this monk is wearing a white robe, and you can see how it's made and how the "over robe" is tied and draped too.

http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm

edit: the way that site is set up, it goes only to the front page so you have to click on the link that says:
Buddhist priest in formal vestment.
With donjiki (=robe) and gojo-gesa (=five-paneled Buddhist surplice).
to see the one I'm talking about. It's the 15th link down from the top.

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!

Some thoughts on making a Sesshomaru costume historically accurate.

My Sewing & CosPlay Blog (where to find out what I'm working on now.)

Last edited by EelKat : 05-29-2008 at 11:18 AM.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
pmastamonkmonk
BOOM. Headshot.

Might be late here, too, but forget contacts. Unless the character is KNOWN for their eyes (ie Gojyo from Saiyuki for red, Haruko Haruhara for her gold, Itachi for them crazy Sharingan etc) no one cares what color your eyes are. They're more for crazy accuracy and craftsmanship awards and tend to be a waste of money if you're only doing it for hallway costumes, especially just to switch brown to blue.
pmastamonkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
EelKat
Bride of Sesshomaru

I found 2 sites about Portraying a Japanese Buddhist Monk in the SCA (historical reenactment group), and they have some really good info about making a monk's costume. Anyone looking to play Miroku or any other monk character, for that matter should really read these sites first, they are just packed with all the info you'll ever need to recreate a monk:

http://mokurai.destinyslobster.com/J...dhist_Monk.PDF

http://www.geocities.com/mokuraibozu/Being_a_monk.html

Also this site might help you out some too, though it's not focused on monks:

http://www.brassbricks.com/sca/east_...sonae_main.htm

it's a link list to loads of resources for anyone want to play a Medieval Japanese persona

I silk, kimonos, and pretty men in fur boas!

Some thoughts on making a Sesshomaru costume historically accurate.

My Sewing & CosPlay Blog (where to find out what I'm working on now.)
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote