Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average.
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
feefie

Wink Pan's Labyrinth Faun!

Warnin... LONG read because it explains exactly how I plan to do things at this point

Okay... so since I've decided I am pretty set on doing this costume I figured I would make a thread to keep track of my progress.

I am posting this because it is one of my first costumes, and I am willing to take ANY suggestions from those who are more seasoned that me. I am worried that I will miss something and have to start over on something >.<

Plan:
Head and Horns

I plan on making a plaster cast of my face, which will include the top of my head and all the way on the sides to my ears (ears will not be under mask). Then, I will make a final cast over the plaster using Wonderflex. Right now my plan is only one layer thick. I will then add raised areas using Wonderflex (like fins, sort of) where I will build up the clay on the outside to make the face and the details. I plan to use PaperClay. I have been told this sands well and paints well. I will buy some hair extensions for the hair, and attach that directly to the mask once I have painted it. I plan to use EasyCast to make some resin eyes to go on the mask, and I will see through the tear duct area, because his eyes are so far apart this works well. I will also make it so that the horns are not detachable from the mask.

For the horns, I wanted to buy some ram horns on eBay, but anything more than 20$ is more expensive than making my own. So I plan to use a thick wire, wrapped in cloth or something light, then casting Model Magic over that to create horns.

Body
I plan to have a cotton base outfit, shirt, pants and gloves. Something thin. I will then make "armor" out of fun foam, which will be the base for my tree-bark skin texture. The plates will be attached by Velcro. I am doing this because I want to be able to detach the bark plates and wash the cloth. Once I have all of the plates ready, I will use Model Magic to sculpt the tree bark designs. I have already made a test piece, and it looks GREAT. I am still trying to decide on a way to fill the seams in the armor, whether it be painting directly on my cotton clothes, putting moss there (he has moss on his hip joints in the movie), putting a cloth attachment, or a combination of those. The body part of the costume is the part that worries me the most, because it will have to be ... wearable... eheh.

Feet

I stumbled upon a WONDERFUL tutorial that has inspired me for my shoe/hoof plan.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=207471.0
I am going to modify this to suit my needs.
I will then use the foam sheets and wonderflex to finish it off.

Props
No serious plans for props yet, but I do want to make his pouch using a Pringles can... and then mutilating and resculpting a Barbie to be a fairy inside it. But let me get the costume done first.

I will be painting everything with acrylic paint, with a slight matte texturizer in it to make it less shiny.

INPIRATIONS
The movie, of course
and http://www.aradanicostumes.com/artic..._labyrinth.php

REFERENCES
http://thedougjonesexperience.com/panbehind~8.jpg
http://www.patrimonigava.com/Uploads...o_del_toro.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/ib...oroandfaun.gif
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2006_Laberinto_del_Fauno,_El_(Pan's_Labyrinth)/2006_pans_labyrinth_wallpaper_002.jpg
Oh snap! Look what I found! http://thedougjonesexperience.com/panbehind.htm

One thing that I need some help on is deciding on color... as you can see in the reference photos, the REAL color of the faun is light brown. However, in the movie, he is always in a dark, overcast blush brown color. What should I go for?

Last edited by feefie : 02-18-2008 at 02:03 AM.
feefie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Kiii_chan
Japanese Cowboy Hero~

Omggg I'm really curious as what this will become. I LOVE Faun<3

As for the colour, I'd go for a darker hue than he has irl, more like the movie colour because i think it'll look more real and natural ^^. (in the movie they use the lights and things for that, but on a con you don't have such things ofcourse, so that's why I'd go with a darker colour).

good luck with this~!
Kiii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Anima-Mort
Angry Adjective

Jesus Nipples.
I cried through the entirety of Pan's Labyrinth. It was by far one of the best movies I've ever seen, finding before I had watched that much assumed 'originality' at this day and age has been lacking as of the past decade or so, but Pan's Labyrinth changed my views instantaneously. Magnificceeenntt <3

And I can't wait to see how this turns out >3
Ahhh! Please let me see when you're done!

"Drinking your own blood is the paradigm of recycling." -Gary Busey
Anima-Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
feefie

Thanks guys! I totally agree about the movie... I was a little surprised it was in Spanish.. that caught me off guard but I LOVED it... the faun was so awesome.

I have tested the Model Magic as a texturizer, and I think it turned out pretty good. Here are some pics of the test piece.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/texture2.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...ie/texture.jpg

It was a quick paint job, just acrylic, but I think that I will be able to get what I'm looking for .
Unread 02-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Dahliasage
that's me!

I love your idea. It's inventive and original. The production is labour intensive but will be well worth it. I can't wait to see it. I hope you'll be posting progress pics!

Anime North 08
Masane Amaha from Witchblade... fun and cool but so hard to make! also maria fom witchblade

CN Anime 08
Scorpion Queen- my own design...
Dahliasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Hellmistress

The photos you resourced are from the 'Weavers of Dreams' page on Doug Jones' official site, which are exclusive images from the creators of El Fauno and the Pale Man, DDT Efectos Especiales. Here's the URL with a LOT more pictures. I'm Doug's webmaster, and if I can help with any info just yell.

http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/panDDT.htm

You'll see some of the designs for El Fauno's props as well at the bottom of the page. I'll be very interested to see how your design turns out!

HM
Hellmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
feefie

Hellmistress! OH MY GOD THANK YOU! That was a great link... thank you so much!

This makes me wish I was able to do it in latex... eheh. But I don't have the time or resources... So I WILL try my best! (however I totally want to do this costume in latex eventually now lol)

Thanks so much again!

Edit: SO I was looking through the pics, and I came across one of his face, and it had this comment:
Quote:
Doug wearing one of three facial prosthetics, changing as El Fauno becomes younger as the story progresses. This is the aged Fauno, with greying skin and milky eyes.
I did not realize that was happening through th film! I did however notice that there were some differences in my reference pictures of the eyes, and I thought I was just crazy. But hey, now that I know that it makes it even more interesting! I think I am going to do the younger version, with the darker pupils.

Last edited by feefie : 02-20-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Hellmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by feefie View Post
Hellmistress! OH MY GOD THANK YOU! That was a great link... thank you so much!

This makes me wish I was able to do it in latex... eheh. But I don't have the time or resources... So I WILL try my best! (however I totally want to do this costume in latex eventually now lol)

Thanks so much again!

Edit: SO I was looking through the pics, and I came across one of his face, and it had this comment:
I did not realize that was happening through th film! I did however notice that there were some differences in my reference pictures of the eyes, and I thought I was just crazy. But hey, now that I know that it makes it even more interesting! I think I am going to do the younger version, with the darker pupils.
No problem! I was reading through your earlier link, and I noticed that the costume was designed to hang from the shoulder. If you have a look at the video link at the bottom of the page I gave you, Dougie and David Marti explain how their suit is designed - it hangs from the hips with a bolero-type section over the chest with the final chest and shoulders piece on top - this made it much more comfortable for Dougie to wear for his 18-hour days on set as it didn't drag on his shoulders like so make prosthetic designs do. In fact, the suit is a remarkably simple design, unlike Abe Sapien in the first HELLBOY film, which was 17 different latex appliances glued on over a period of 7-8 hours and finished with airbrushing. El Fauno was a mere 5 hours!

But anyway, I'm very keen to see how you go with this - I'm delighted to see folks interested in the film, and it is one of Doug's favourite roles - as well as the Pale Man, of course! Anyone going to attempt that one?

HM
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
feefie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmistress View Post
No problem! I was reading through your earlier link, and I noticed that the costume was designed to hang from the shoulder. If you have a look at the video link at the bottom of the page I gave you, Dougie and David Marti explain how their suit is designed - it hangs from the hips with a bolero-type section over the chest with the final chest and shoulders piece on top - this made it much more comfortable for Dougie to wear for his 18-hour days on set as it didn't drag on his shoulders like so make prosthetic designs do. In fact, the suit is a remarkably simple design, unlike Abe Sapien in the first HELLBOY film, which was 17 different latex appliances glued on over a period of 7-8 hours and finished with airbrushing. El Fauno was a mere 5 hours!

But anyway, I'm very keen to see how you go with this - I'm delighted to see folks interested in the film, and it is one of Doug's favourite roles - as well as the Pale Man, of course! Anyone going to attempt that one?

HM

Goodness! Those makeup times are crazy XD. I think I will be okay with the weight issue. Since I am doing mine in a more "plate-like" manner, I am going to be attaching the sections on with velcro... each section shouldn't be too heavy because of the materials it's made of. I've started mapping out the shapes of the body plates, but it is difficult without a model... so I am going to make a duct tape "dressform" of my upper body this weekend. Things will go much faster once I don't have to use a mirror and my own body!

Ive started to work on the horns, I'll have those pictures up in a few days, but I can't really finalize them until I make the mask.... SO my favorite part it looks like is the next part I am working on! *goes to buy wonderflex*

On a random tangent, I just wanted to express my insane love for that movie... It was NOTHING of what I expected, but I really fell deep into the characters, the hidden meanings (which most I probably haven't even noticed yet!) and the general beauty of the whole film. Also... I always thought Ophelia/Ofelia was a beautiful name but noone ever agreed! Yay for it being in the movie!
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
KusanIvy

Quote:
Goodness! Those makeup times are crazy XD. I think I will be okay with the weight issue. Since I am doing mine in a more "plate-like" manner, I am going to be attaching the sections on with velcro... each section shouldn't be too heavy because of the materials it's made of. I've started mapping out the shapes of the body plates, but it is difficult without a model... so I am going to make a duct tape "dressform" of my upper body this weekend. Things will go much faster once I don't have to use a mirror and my own body!

Ive started to work on the horns, I'll have those pictures up in a few days, but I can't really finalize them until I make the mask.... SO my favorite part it looks like is the next part I am working on! *goes to buy wonderflex*

On a random tangent, I just wanted to express my insane love for that movie... It was NOTHING of what I expected, but I really fell deep into the characters, the hidden meanings (which most I probably haven't even noticed yet!) and the general beauty of the whole film. Also... I always thought Ophelia/Ofelia was a beautiful name but noone ever agreed! Yay for it being in the movie!
YAY! A Faun cosplayer! I love the Faun design - soooo gorgeous. And I love Pan's Labyrinth to pieces. So squee away! Have you listened to Guillermo's commentary on the DVD yet? That's a treat in and of itself.

I HIGHLY second the duct tape body double suggestion. I've made armour type costumes both with and without one and it makes a HUGE difference - soooo much easier with the body double.

If you are using velcro please, please, DON'T use the self-adhesive type. It won't stick! I used some when I first made my Generator Gawl armour and within 15 minutes I had pieces falling off. Get plain sew-in velcro (which is cheaper anyways) sew it to the body suit and glue it to the body plates and life will be so much easier on you. The self-adhesive stuff is seriously not worth the trouble.

LOVE your bark samples. Can't wait to see more - if the rest turns out like that it's seriously going to rock!

And maybe if someone else makes a really awesome Faun costume, Hellmistress will stop pressuring me to make one
(Just kidding Helen!)
Unread 02-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
feefie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KusanIvy View Post
If you are using velcro please, please, DON'T use the self-adhesive type. It won't stick! I used some when I first made my Generator Gawl armour and within 15 minutes I had pieces falling off. Get plain sew-in velcro (which is cheaper anyways) sew it to the body suit and glue it to the body plates and life will be so much easier on you. The self-adhesive stuff is seriously not worth the trouble.
Thanks for the heads up... i didn't think about it much, but I did buy the self stick velcro... gonna go return it now!

I'm sorry not to update with pictures... I promise next update there will be some ^^... But I want to buy my hair extensions while they are still on sale... so can you guys help me pick one or two colors? Here is the product: http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/silky_braid.html
And here are the color choices I've narrowed it down to: http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...harisample.jpg

Here is a reference of the Faun's hair in real lighting:
http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/panDDT~22.htm (isnt he cute )
And here's a pic of it in movie lighting:
http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/panDDT~25.htm

I'm contemplating on either just getting 30, or getting 30 and 350. I picked 27 as a possibility because it matches the real lighting color more, but I think my paint scheme will be a little bluer (cooler) than the warm tan that he is outside of the movie.

Another question, more about forum use... I have a lot of questions related to various crafting aspects of the costume... should I put them all in this thread, or am I allowed to ask them in their respective forums?
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
KusanIvy

I love that picture of the Faun - so utterly adorable.

Quote:
I'm contemplating on either just getting 30, or getting 30 and 350. I picked 27 as a possibility because it matches the real lighting color more, but I think my paint scheme will be a little bluer (cooler) than the warm tan that he is outside of the movie.
I'd suggest mixing the 30 and 350. The more similar shades you can mix, usually the better (gives a more varied and therefore realistic look).

Quote:
Another question, more about forum use... I have a lot of questions related to various crafting aspects of the costume... should I put them all in this thread, or am I allowed to ask them in their respective forums?
You can do both. You can put general questions and updates here but if you have a specific question about say, the hair extensions, feel free to put them in a more specialized forum (like the Wig section). As long as you aren't repeating yourself too much it's fine.

Oh and my roommate, who is a lot more familiar with Wonderflex than I, suggests either using a superstrong epoxy to glue the velcro to the body plates (as she said it's very hard to find a glue that will stick to Wonderflex) OR putting a bristol board backing on the body plates and gluing the velcro to that. If you heat the Wonderflex and press the bristol board against it, the built in glue in the Wonderflex will adhere the two. You wouldn't be able to wash the body plates after but that's why you're making them removable in the first place anyways - so you can wash the suit without washing the plates.

And if you're still looking for something to texture the gaps in between the plates have you thought about using 3D fabric paint? You can buy fabric paint that comes in different textures - there's the traditional shiny/plastic type but you can also buy "puff" fabric paint that has a softer, more velvety feel. A combination of the two types (or just the velvet type alone), in a couple shades of brown and green could make a very bark-like texture I would imagine.
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
feefie

Quote:
I'd suggest mixing the 30 and 350. The more similar shades you can mix, usually the better (gives a more varied and therefore realistic look).
I just though of something... instead of buying both, I can just get 30 and dye parts of it with sharpies, right?

Quote:
You can do both. You can put general questions and updates here but if you have a specific question about say, the hair extensions, feel free to put them in a more specialized forum (like the Wig section). As long as you aren't repeating yourself too much it's fine.
Ok cool, thanks.

Quote:
Oh and my roommate, who is a lot more familiar with Wonderflex than I, suggests either using a superstrong epoxy to glue the velcro to the body plates (as she said it's very hard to find a glue that will stick to Wonderflex) OR putting a bristol board backing on the body plates and gluing the velcro to that. If you heat the Wonderflex and press the bristol board against it, the built in glue in the Wonderflex will adhere the two. You wouldn't be able to wash the body plates after but that's why you're making them removable in the first place anyways - so you can wash the suit without washing the plates.
I actually am only using wonderlex for the mask. I am using fun foam for the bodyplates... because it's cheaper, and the model magic gets stiff enough that if I back the foam with some sort of cloth, then put about an inch of model magic on it (the texture) it will definitely get pretty stiff.

Quote:
And if you're still looking for something to texture the gaps in between the plates have you thought about using 3D fabric paint? You can buy fabric paint that comes in different textures - there's the traditional shiny/plastic type but you can also buy "puff" fabric paint that has a softer, more velvety feel. A combination of the two types (or just the velvet type alone), in a couple shades of brown and green could make a very bark-like texture I would imagine.
Yes! I was thinking about using the fabric paint for the gaps. I was going to paint over it then with acrylic, but I will try out the velvet kind! that sounds perfect. I'm also going to use a little bit of reindeer moss (I think thats what it is) that AC Moore sells in their dollhouse section... its dead, but its very spongy and rubbery! It doesn't seem to flake either.

Thanks so much everyone who is helping me! I am so excited.
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Hellmistress

Quote:
And maybe if someone else makes a really awesome Faun costume, Hellmistress will stop pressuring me to make one
(Just kidding Helen!)
Who???? MOI??? As if I would do such a thing! Anyhoo, I have your Abe Sapien to admire, as did Dougie.

Feefie, I'm really pleased you're keeping to the goat/man/tree thing that is in the film, and I wish you the very best of luck - I look forward to seeing your project proceed here. I'll send the URL of this thread on to Dougie too, as I'm sure he will be interested and delighted to see how it all works out for you.

Be sure to post LOTS of pics, will ya?

HM
Unread 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
zekitty
Come along to rainbowland

Wow, I am so glad I stumbled across this thread! I LOVE the faun, he's so gosh darn adorable! :3~

I wish you oodles and oodles of luck on this costume, and I'll be watching this thread closely and help you whenever I can (though I fail at anything not involving fabric u.u).

Post lots of pictures!!! ~ Your sample with the model magic looks fantastic!!
San (Princess Mononoke)
Mamimi Samejima (FLCL)
Mika Itoh (Bible Black) -- maybe
Incredibly rainbowy raver

zekitty is offline   Reply With Quote