Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #31
Sephirayne
Ranger from the North

Hi all. I'm a huge fan of LOTR and cosplay as Legolas. I have considered cosplaying as Galadriel but I still haven't completed my Leggy oufit (started 4 years ago). I do also cosplay as Haldir but at the moment hes resting as I need to redo the cloak.

I did go for the movie version as I loved the design. I'm a fan of the books as well. It was my father who introduced me to the books. He since then went on to make my sword for Haldir and loves my Legolas costume.

I prefer to copslay as an elf even through i'm not tall enough. My looks fit more with an elf than with any of the other races.
Sephirayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #32
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

You should upload some pics of your LOTR costumes, you! *pokes*

And hey, very few people are Elf-height, but that doesn't stop us! *g*

Speaking of, I should have put this in the OP, but... have your guys worn your LOTR costumes to any cons? I'm curious because I've worked/arranged a few, so I might just have seen you!

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Schuldig_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #33
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've only worn Arwen to the LOTR con we had here in 2003, and Ad Astra (a local literary SF/F con). I thought of bringing her to Dragon*Con but worry about sweltering in the velvet.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #34
TariElensar

So I've decided to cosplay Measse from Book of Lost Tales 1 (First book in the Histories of Middle Earth I think). It'll be really interesting trying to come up with a design for a warrior goddess that doesn't look like a crazy Zena knockoff. She was cut from any further versions of lore (like the Silmarillion), but she IS a member of the Valar.

If you have suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. There's next to no description of her except that she has a spear at some point, and her arms are dyed red up to the elbow from all the things she's killed.
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

The only thing I've ever been able to find about Méassë (apart from what you already know) is the notes at the end of “The Coming of the Valar” in The Book of Lost Tales I (HoME 1), where Christopher Tolkien says that "and of course the hall of Makar and Meássë (where the life described owes something to the myths of the Unending Battle in ancient Scandinavia)". It sounds very Viking-like to me, although, to my embarassment, I don't know what undending battle he speaks of, even though I'm Scandinavian... *blush*

(On a total random note... you're doing Sarah!!? *squee* TdV is my all-time favourite musical...! )

"Don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." (Crawford, courtesy of Aoe, in this case)
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #36
WilwarinAndamar
Anime NebrasKon staff

LOL, I was also one of those who read LOTR after the movies came out. However, I read The Hobbit in 6th grade and loved it.

I became such a fan when the movies came out that I spent an entire summer learning both forms of Elvish.

I'm making my first LOTR cosplay for the KC Ren Faire - I'm going as Arwen in her Requiem gown (the periwinkle blue one).

Watch the Awesome Rangers saga!
*AR3 trailer here*
WilwarinAndamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #37
TariElensar

@ Schuldig - Ooh, thanks! I didn't connect the way the hall looks with how she might look. And props for the proper accents... laziness ftw. And yup, I'm doing Sarah - the red gown (like everyone else who cosplays her, xD) It's rare to meet a fellow Tanz fan (or at least for me...Silly America.)

I was thinking something dramatic, but the problem is making it FUNCTIONAL. I'm toying with the notion of a long dress with a slit up the front for movement's sake, a chain mail skirt over that, some sort of tattered sleeve for the illusion I've knocked some heads in, but I really don't know. The color scheme is also kinda whack. I sort of want to do mostly black with red accents, but that's SO cliche. The other notion was a white/off white dress that's been stained, and mostly black accents to try and get a more metallic/iron-y feel. I don't know though. Too Eowyn?

@ WilwarinAndamar - Wow, good luck with that dress, it's super gorgeous. We must see pictures when you do it. How on earth did you learn BOTH forms of Elvish? I had enough problems with my pathetic attempt at Sindarin... =(

Last edited by TariElensar : 07-10-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: omission
TariElensar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #38
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Finished my elf costume, learned I'm not graceful enough to be an elf.

http://www.cosplay.com/costumes/158500
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #39
Fashwiing
picks on blond bartenders

I've got a mostly-finished Legolas, but I need to get a good pair of breeches, bracers and boots for him. And a wig, and a quiver. Agh, I'll finish him someday.

Cons I plan on attending:
Newcon 2013
ALA 2014
Sakuracon 2014
Fanime 2014
Kumoricon 2014

Am I the only one who thinks just living is sad?
Fashwiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #40
WilwarinAndamar
Anime NebrasKon staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TariElensar View Post
@ WilwarinAndamar - Wow, good luck with that dress, it's super gorgeous. We must see pictures when you do it. How on earth did you learn BOTH forms of Elvish? I had enough problems with my pathetic attempt at Sindarin... =(
Thanks. I love that dress too. Blue looks better on me than red, and I'm not that big of a fan of the coronation dress. I'll start working on it after AnimeIowa when I have more time and funds. And yes, there WILL be pictures. ^^

I started with Quenya first, which was fairly easy (I had taken 3 years of Spanish in high school and the grammar was similar enough for me to pick up rather easily). Sindarin was a lot tougher, and I still make some mistakes with it. But with practice, I've gotten better.

I started out using the indexes of the books, but then I discovered the site Ardalambion and use that to translate everything. ^^

*AR3 trailer here*
Unread 07-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #41
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotohanabi View Post
Finished my elf costume, learned I'm not graceful enough to be an elf.

http://www.cosplay.com/costumes/158500
Looked nice IMHO. LOL! Dun worry about not graceful enough to be elf. More you do it, the more you can fit the role.

For me, whenever I don my Arwen or Galadriel or Haldir costumes, I just let the costume "influence me" to act elf-like. Same goes when I do Ringwraith or Eowyn.

Anyhow, am tempted to do an Ithilien Ranger soon for an upcoming event. Got most of the infos from ACS-LOTR and gonna do it in stages; get the basics done and then get the details but I wonder, has anyone else did a good one before based on the movie version?

Can offer some tips?
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #42
Schuldig_
Optical illusion

@ TariElensar: Hehe, I'm not too picky with accents normally... but I, too, have studied Quenya and Sindarin, and it just sits in my fingers by now. Occupational hazards of a nerd, I guess!

Well, considering how the American version of TdV went down... ugh. It's not even something I want to talk about! Are you a Steiman fan, too, or how did you find this gem? It's not often musicals in foreign lingos spread to the U.S.

Colour schemes... hmm. Good question. If you're thinking about going for something inspired by Nordic mythology, I once saw a gorgeous, Valkyrie-like costume that was a sort of dove-blue with brown accents - it looked great, but of course now I can't find the image. Either way, I'm as stumped as you are. Darn Tolkien. Even his more well-known characters are extremely vagely described - it's enough to drive a costumer potty!

@ makotohanabi: No one is graceful enough to be an Elf - but that doesn't stop us... *g* You still look great, though, graceful or not.

@ WilwarinAndamar: Wow. I'd love to have more time for both Sindarin and Quenya. I even used to have a Sindarin teacher, but real life enchroaced on those studies. Ardalambion is a treasurechest - we need something to fight all the Grelvish out there... ugh!

Unread 07-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #43
Sephirayne
Ranger from the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuldig_ View Post
You should upload some pics of your LOTR costumes, you! *pokes*

And hey, very few people are Elf-height, but that doesn't stop us! *g*

Speaking of, I should have put this in the OP, but... have your guys worn your LOTR costumes to any cons? I'm curious because I've worked/arranged a few, so I might just have seen you!
Yeap, I have. In my gallery there are convention shots of my Legolas. I'm planning on doing a photo shoot once I've fixed the arm guards and leg wraps. They died a death after much wear so I'm replacing them.

I also have Lothlorien Haldir. I'm going to be posting photos of him soon.

I do have Legolas' corronation outfit planned but have yet to find a good fabric for him.
Sephiroth(Dissidia FF and Classic) - Abel Nightroad(Empire, Early AX white jacket, AX Artbook and Gold Armour with BOOK O' DOOOMM) - Cain Nightroad(Trinity Blood Artbook) - Madam Red and Undertaker(Kuroshitsuji) - Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter films) - Legolas(Lord of The Rings Films) -

Trinity Blood - when one Nightroad is never enough. Experience it for yourself today!
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #44
WilwarinAndamar
Anime NebrasKon staff

I lucked out. I found periwinkle blue velvet 50% off. I might just buy it now and work on my Arwen dress after AnimeIowa.

*AR3 trailer here*
Unread 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #45
Sephirayne
Ranger from the North

Sounds lovely. Velvet is always worth getting when you see it cheap. I've rarely found it in sales.
Sephiroth(Dissidia FF and Classic) - Abel Nightroad(Empire, Early AX white jacket, AX Artbook and Gold Armour with BOOK O' DOOOMM) - Cain Nightroad(Trinity Blood Artbook) - Madam Red and Undertaker(Kuroshitsuji) - Lucius Malfoy (Harry Potter films) - Legolas(Lord of The Rings Films) -

Trinity Blood - when one Nightroad is never enough. Experience it for yourself today!