Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #76
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Howdy, Folks! Allow me to introduce myself, in a manner of speaking...

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?

Elrond! I'm beginning my LOTR costuming spree with his armor and those lovely robes he's wearing when he's out in the gazebo trying to read and is so rudely interrupted by Arwen's surprise return (or as I've dubbed it, Elrond's Reading Dress ). Once these are finished, the Grey Havens robes are next (if for no reason other than those sleeves). And from there, probably the rest of his wardrobe. :P

I'm also working on Galadriel for my partner.

2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it?

I always wanted to be a LOTR fan. I've always been a geek, and it just seems like sort of a prerequisite. The Hobbit was required reading material for my 8th grade English class, and I rather enjoyed it. But when I tried to read the trilogy, I was overwhelmed by the exceedingly detailed descriptions and long, drawn-out meanderings and generally snail-like pace. So I gave up. And then the movies came out. I felt much as I did about The Hobbit. I liked them. They were good. I wouldn't mind watching them again. And I had a feeling that if I spent a little more time with the characters and got to know them a bit better, I'd really like them.

That didn't happen until just recently, when my BFF and I decided it was high time we watch the movies again. This time, something clicked and I finally fell in love with the story. Especially the Elves. Which is why I started my second go at reading Tolkien with The Silmarillion, and I am proud to say that I'm nearly halfway through it, and I haven't wanted to pull my hair out once!

As far as costumes go, as I mentioned earlier, I'm just starting cosplaying LOTR. Elrond has always been my favorite character, so that was a no-brainer. I loved getting a glimpse of his more badass side in the prologue, and that armor is just gorgeous. Plus, I've always wanted to try making armor, so again, that was pretty easy decision. As for the robes I chose, I have to admit, it's all about the belt. It's like a wee ickle corset! How could I pass up the opportunity to cosplay a pointy-eared man in a corset? :P

3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off?

I guess I kind of already answered this. I love them! I wouldn't be a fan if it weren't for them. And whether or not they comply with the book's descriptions, the costumes are amazing. They did such a fantastic job of conveying the traits of both individuals and the various races in general through their costumes. Just looking at the Elves, for instance, you get a sense of their somewhat aloof nature and the sort of sadness that underlies their existence.

4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why?

Uhm... Have I mentioned that I like the Elves? Basically, I am an Elf, at heart. I always have been; I just didn't know it. I assume it was some sort of birth defect that left me with such terribly round, unpointed ears.

~ ~ ~

Also, on a side note, I'm having a hard time finding a suitable fabric for that aforementioned belt (see attachment). I believe the bottom layer is likely a brocade or damask, perhaps with a diamond pattern, though it's hard to tell... And I really have no idea what the top layer might be. Any suggestions as to fabric type for either of these and/or where I might find said fabric would be very much appreciated. My thanks in advance!
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #77
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Oh, no. I killed it. O_O
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #78
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

^ XDD No, no. You didn't. I'd contribute more myself but I've got two cosplays that have taken over my mind before I can even start on Arwen, and I already know hers is going to take a couple years before it's complete.

So yeah 8B
Unread 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #79
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Oh, good. xD Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to find an LOTR thread that was still alive. I'm late for the trilogy and way early for The Hobbit, so I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else working on anything.

Oh, man. Arwen... Which one are you planning?
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #80
VerrinEleni

1. Do you cosplay as certain characters from the book/the movies, or do you have an OC?
I haven't done any real cosplay for LOTR as I'm a stickler for details and I can't afford the fabric that I want for any of the cosplays I would love to do. When I get the money I am going to do Eowyn's dresses. Probably all of them. Possibly even the armor from the Battle of Pelennor, if and or when I want to get into armor making.

2. What got you into the fandom and when did you start cosplaying from it?

Watching the oringal animated The Hobbit as a child. Then I started reading the books. As I said, I haven't officially cosplayed anyone yet, but I made a (really bad) rip off of her Shield Maiden gown as a practice sewing project. Crappy polyester fabric and everything XD. In regards to actual cosplay, I'm working on the patterns of several of her outfits, but I haven't yet started on one besides that. My friend wants to go to a Renn faire in full garb, so I'm considering budgeting for one of her gowns rather than something historically accurate.

3. The movies - what do you think? Great inspiration or totally off?

Well, they are amazing costume inspiration. Like OMG pretty dresses. But they completely messed up some things that I consider integral to the feel and purpose of the book (feel free to skip if you don't want to be bored by my fangirl rant). My main issues with the movies start with Arwen being given the knowledge and might of Glorfindel, Elrond, and Gandalf in her finding of Aragorn and the hobbits, her flight from the Ring Wraiths, and her calling down of the river. I'm not going into more detail than that right now, as this is not that type of forum and it would take pages, lol. My next major issue is with the feel of Lothlorian. If I have to explain to every single person I watch the movie with that no, Galadrial is not almost evil, and no, the intention of that forest is not to be really creepy, but to be beautiful, if nostalgic and represent how life once was on Middle Earth, I get really annoyed with the movie really fast.

The next big issue I have is the random Elves at Helm's Deep. Like, what? The Elves not going into battle (with the exception of Legolas who is part of the fellowship, and Elladan and Elrohir who do so to represent both that they have the same choice that their sister has and because they have ridden with the Rangers for years as well) signifies that it is now the age of Man, and the time of the Elves has passed. And killing Haldir, really? Did you need to add more useless drama and angst to this scene?

My next issue is with Faramir. Why did they feel the need to completely change his character? To quote him from The Two Towers: "But fear no more! I would not take this thing, if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her, so, using the weapon of the Dark Lord for her good and my glory. No, I do not wish for such triumphs, Frodo son of Drogo." This is part of the reason I adored him, was fascinated by him, and yes, had a childhood crush on him. It annoys me that they felt the need to change his character so drastically (as well as mostly leave out the romance between him and Eowyn, but that is neither here nor there).

Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly fine with people who adore the movies. I adore the movies myself, as long as I take them simply for movies (and costume inspirations!), and not representations of the books. But, yeah, they do mess up a lot of things. >_> -end rant-

4. Any particular race (Elf, Hobbit, Man...) you prefer cosplaying? Why?
Men, all the way. I adore Eowyn, partially because she was my first intro to a woman who can quite literally, kick ass. If I was ever willing to put on fake facial hair, I would totally cosplay some of the men as well.

-Pixie f Death- I can't seem to see the attachment in regards to the costume you mentioned in your previous post. If you're still working on it, I'll try to look up pictures (or if you can link to one that would be great); I'd be happy to help you look for suitable fabrics.
VerrinEleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #81
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

VerrinEleni - I know just how you feel about not being able to afford the right fabrics. I was worried that would be the case when I started shopping for fabrics. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to find my silk dupioni on sale at Denver Fabrics. I'm not sure how often they have such sales, but they seem to have good prices anyway, so you may want to check them out.

Also, it seems I forgot to actually attach the attachment I mentioned. *facepalm* Trying again with this post... If it doesn't work this time, I'll hunt down a link. Thank you so much for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lotr3_11373.jpg (105.4 KB, 0 views)
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #82
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie of Death View Post
Oh, good. xD Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to find an LOTR thread that was still alive. I'm late for the trilogy and way early for The Hobbit, so I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else working on anything.
Heh, I'm still technically doing LOTR Costumes tho' due to certain current cosplay projects (Saint Seiya) and no pressing need to wear them to an event any time soon, most put on hibernation. Anyway, majority are still in cloth forms.

But every other day, I can still "hear" my Alan Lee Galadriel Gown SCREAMING at me to give it its Cape and get a New Galadriel Wig.

SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Hades Alone
SAINT SEIYA SUPER MUSICAL Athena Saori
SAINT SEIYA OMEGA Orion Eden
SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Athena Sasha
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #83
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Quote:

Oh, man. Arwen... Which one are you planning?
Well, if everything goes like I wish for (PJ, get your butt in the director's chair and start this thing! Make the rumor a reality, mah man!), you may not be too early for the Hobbit

Coronation gown Arwen. I didn't realize how intricate I was until I found Alley Cat Scratch. Holy cow, all that beading @_@ I'm going to at least try to finish the coronation banner first since I've got most of the materials and am still working out the mock-up (I'm anal about dimensions and shit xD). I just need to find the right type of flowers for it and I've had zero luck so far -sob-
Unread 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #84
VerrinEleni

Pixie of Death- The top layer of fabric honestly looks like a silk although you can probably find something synthetic that would work for it as well. Do you live by any fabric stores? Where I work (Hancock Fabrics) there's a home decor department that has some drapery fabrics that have the sort of feel of both fabrics in the belt. I think I even saw something that might work for the top layer there the other week. Shopping around a home dec fabric department is the first thing I'd recommend, especially since most fabric stores sell fabric remnants for a discount price, and you won't need a ton for the belt. I'll look around online some too.

I'm always wary about buying fabric online, since it's so easy for the fabric to be misrepresented in the photos (and I don't get to touch it before buying). Do you know if they sell/give out samples?
VerrinEleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #85
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Stormraven - Good point. And I second that! Are you listening, Peter? :P

Ooooh! Yeah, that one's deceptive. It doesn't look nearly that detailed on screen. Or that green! O_O

Man, it's always the things that seem like they should be easy to find that always wind up being a pain in the butt. Wish I could offer some advice, but other than the usual craft stores I don't know where to tell you to look. Although, Etsy may be worth a shot. Craft supplies are somewhat hit or miss there, so there may be nothing, but it would be worth looking.

VerrinEleni - I was thinking silk, as well. Wish I'd been thinking of the belt when I ordered my other silk... >_< Ah, well. There is a small fabric store nearby, but most of what they carry is cotton prints (if I was a quilter it would be wonderful!). They do have some upholstery/home decor fabrics, but I didn't really see anything applicable. I may go have another look, though. I had a few different costumes bouncing around my brain, so I may have overlooked something useful. Barring that, there's another larger shop not too far that I need to go have a look at...

Denver Fabrics does indeed offer swatches on a lot of their fabrics for $1.50 each. And anything they don't specifically offer a swatch for you can get the minimum quantity, which is usually 1/8 yard.
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 06-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #86
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Quote:
StormravenMan, it's always the things that seem like they should be easy to find that always wind up being a pain in the butt. Wish I could offer some advice, but other than the usual craft stores I don't know where to tell you to look. Although, Etsy may be worth a shot. Craft supplies are somewhat hit or miss there, so there may be nothing, but it would be worth looking.
Oh, I already know exactly where to get the fabrics I want for it. It's just a matter of getting the funds together so I can do one big order and having the patterns drafted out. Not to mention all the beadwork involved later @_@
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #87
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Oh, I was referring to the flowers for the banner being surprisingly hard to find. Sorry, I just realized how vague that was.

Though, fabrics can be a pain to find sometimes too. Glad to hear you've found yours. That's half the battle! Okay, well maybe not quite half, but it's something, right?

That beadwork, though... Wow. O_O
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 06-30-2010, 05:28 AM   #88
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

I would love to make a LOTR cosplay sometime. I just don't know what character or outfit to make.
Natsu (SCV)/Christa (AoT)/Tsubaki (SE)

~Con Plans~
Sakura-con 2014/Fanime 2014

Cosplay reference photos. Please do not hotlink.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #89
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

@ Pixie: Oh, my bad xD I've tried looking online but I'm not sure how to search for something like that. "Star-shaped white flowers fake floral". Lolwut? xDD I make search engines explode :3
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #90
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Narnian - I understand. There are so many to choose from and they're all awesome!

Stormraven - LOL. Good point... XD I did a quick search on Etsy just for white artificial flowers. I don't have a reference for the banner handy, but might something like this work?
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach