Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #91
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Oh wow! Thank you! I think they may be too big for my banner, but they're definitely closer than what I've found so far <3

Unread 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #92
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #93
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

I LOVE LotR!!!! I watched all 3 movies today. Yay for me. lol

This is kind of unrelated, but after watching the films today, I have decided that I want to make an LotR-inspired Princess Zelda after Jackson's elves. (Did that make sense??)

But, ooh, there are so many yummy costumes in these films! I want to make them all. Where to begin?? : )
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #94
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Suzie Blue - Elf!Zelda would be cool, I think.

Also, off-topic, but I'm an Etsy seller too! http://TheAshGrove.etsy.com
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #95
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

I do too! lol I think an entire Middle Earth Zelda group would be awesome.

Cool- I'm still waiting on my first sale; hopefully it will come soon!! : )

Anyway, back to LotR, I LOVE PIPPIN!! lol I have an order to knit his scarf for someone here on Coscom, and I cannot wait to start on it!! I've just had a really difficult time matching yarn to his scarf because the colors NEVER look the same!! I think I have found yarn that will work quite well, though.

I seriously feel like watching Fellowship again....I need to get the Deluxe Edition DVDs! XD
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #96
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

It would be! XD

Pippin scarf! How cool! XD That reminds me, I still need to knit some Harry Potter scarves... I've been sitting on the patterns for a while, but I'm not allowed to start anything else until I finish the projects I have in progress already.

Oh, man. We just got the extended editions and ;dfjaokedfj OMG they are AWESOME. So worth it for the extra scenes alone. We haven't even gotten around to watching any of the special features yet... *__*
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 07-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #97
Lithium Flower
Handphones

When my cable went out I found myself digging out my old extended editions and having a grand old time! and after much discussion and having to push back our original costume plans my friend and I decided on Sam(her) and Frodo (me) as our duo cosplay for Megacon in Orlando woot woot.

It seems, however, much to my dismay that finding this particular cream, slightly puffy sleeved shirt anywhere has become the bane of my existence!

I've checked every run of the mill costume shop I could think of, some reenactment shops and even pirate themed ones. I've checked the regular shops for some of the 'hippy' looking blouses floating around as of late but I cannot seem to find one.

The vest and 'shorts' I imagine will not be an issue. A cloak can be gotten around Halloween (it will not be crushed velvet don't worry..) as can the leaf clasp. Though I will seriously doubt I'd venture there for prosthetic ears , that seems like it would end badly :P I will likely end up getting those online and what not. So these items I am not in trouble with as of yet.

Just this god forsaken blousey thing >:| my friend tells me to just get a regular button up shirt or a modern peasant blouse since the vest would cover most of it to begin with. Maybe I am being nit picky?

I simply cannot seem to find this shirt anywhere, and if I find something even vaguely usable it's 100$ from a designer store or something. -sigh-

So, do any of you good fellows 'round these parts know a reasonable place to grab a similar shirt up? Or would I be able to try the ideas my friend offered? I suppose I could soak a white button up in tea or coffee to make it aged looking..?

I cannot sew so please no patterns ^__^'

This seems to be what the top looks like without the vest, very similar to a girls peasant top I suppose?

It's amazing how difficult such a simple looking costume can get @_@
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #98
Berzerker_prime
Harmless Historical Nut

I'm afraid you're not going to be able to go out and just find the perfect shirt, when it comes to "period-type" clothing. You're either going to have to settle for something or make it yourself.

Found-item cosplay will only take you so far, you'll find. Eventually, if you want it to be perfect, you're going to have to spend the time to make it yourself and often spend the money to get the right materials. It's just a simple truth of the hobby.

Masquerade Director for Geek.Kon.2013

Chairman - Costume Con Madison, 2016
Berzerker_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #99
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker_prime View Post
I'm afraid you're not going to be able to go out and just find the perfect shirt, when it comes to "period-type" clothing. You're either going to have to settle for something or make it yourself.

Found-item cosplay will only take you so far, you'll find. Eventually, if you want it to be perfect, you're going to have to spend the time to make it yourself and often spend the money to get the right materials. It's just a simple truth of the hobby.
I reckoned I'd have to buy the shirt from a reenactment kind of site or to settle with what I could get my hands on at the mall.

What I was more wondering if there where some shops you'd recommend over others, or ways others have er..'fudged' the look. If that made any sense at all. If I am going to spend 45$ on a top I'd rather get the most for my money? Maybe I am just babbling nonsense now @_@
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #100
Gee2

I worked with a few differnt companies to create a "Faramir" costume a few year back. The leatherwork was done by me and the sword smithed by a company in Canada that does swords from the trilogy but slightly different to avoid legal issues. The boots, soft goods and bow/arrows all by other companies that are still around for anyone that's interested. I think the hardest part was the wig and trying to find one just right, in the end I was still not happy with it.

3032759103_89559864a7.jpg

3032760519_f8f8ba850c.jpg
Gee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #101
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Lithium- I know you said no patterns, but this one could be close enough:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2198-costumes.aspx

Or this one, which looks even better:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1806-costumes.aspx

If you could get someone to make it for you. : ) I have the pattern already, and would be more than willing to commission it for you, if I can find the right fabric.

Pixie- AHHHHHH I want them sooooo bad!! lol I've seen them go on eBay as the entire trilogy for dirt cheap.

Last edited by Suzie Blue : 07-07-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Suzie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #102
Lithium Flower
Handphones

@ Suzie Blue- I would have loved to get it commissioned (your etsy is super cute) but I probably couldn't afford it T__T'

If it comes down to it I could try to pull out my real old and real tiny table top machine I don't even know how to use and try to wing it..
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #103
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Lithium- Thank you so much!! : ) I doubt I would have to charge more than $45 for it, but I will look into it and let you know.
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #104
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Suzie Blue-That's just about the same price as reenactment stores are asking (i was expecting it to be more frankly) :3 lemme know whatca come up with.

For now I'll dig around and see what I can find guys, thanks.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #105
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Gee2 - Nice work! You did an especially nice job with the leather work. Out of curiosity, who did the sword and boots? Those are two of my greater concerns, at the moment...

Suzie Blue - We got ours on Amazon. They weren't particularly cheap, but they did include all of the slipcovers (and everything else; there is literally nothing missing but the shrink wrap) and they're in fantastic condition, so we're happy.

Lithium Flower - Good luck with your shirt! I know how you feel. It seems like it's always the things that look the simplest that wind up being the biggest pain in the butt. Hopefully, Suzie can take care of you! But I do encourage you to get that little sewing machine out sometime and give it a whirl. Sewing is something a lot of people are afraid to try, but once you do, you'll discover that it's really not that hard. And there are a lot of great books that can help you get started and serve as a reference later on. My favorite is this one by Simplicity. The hardest part of learning to sew, in my experience at least, is learning to let go of your fear of messing up. Almost any mistake you make can be fixed. And if it can't be fixed, it can be dealt with. And even if the garment you've sewn isn't perfect, if you have a slightly crooked seam or a not-quite-straight hem or one sleeve a little longer than the other, you have the incredible satisfaction of knowing that you're wearing a slightly imperfect garment that you made yourself. There's just no other feeling in the world quite like it.
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach