Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Boston

Unread 06-11-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
Ametenshi
Banned

Support J-Rock!!!

This year at Anime Boston, JRock got little to no attention. It was too focused on anime. They said they wanted to do something about it, to make it so JRockers will get more attention, so they want to make a separate masquerade for it. We (Kuroe and I) beleive that this will only shove J-Rock ferther into the corner at Anime Boston. To view more on this subject, go to the animeboston.com forums. Anyways, we ask kindly that anybody who wants to help us in achiving our goal of allowing J-Rockers to be in the main masquerade, please sign the petition at http://geocities.com/jrockroom We guarantee that you won't get in trouble for signing this And, if you have anything negative to say about it, you can e-mail Kuroe or myself...our e-mails our both located on that page numerous times. So, feel the J-Rock love!

~*Ametenshi*~

Once again, support it at http://geocities.com/jrockroom
Ametenshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2003, 12:18 AM   #2
PatrickD
As seen in Dramacon vol 2

Rest assured that we are currently considering additional JRock programming at Anime Boston. However, at this time, we are not prepared to make any announcements. We ask that you please be patient until that time. Thank you.
Use AnimeCons.com and the AnimeCons.com Forums to find anime cons near you!
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
Chi

Actually, I'm finding Anime Boston is getting far too much bad publicity about their lack of J-rock Programming. It's a complaint I've seen on almost every forum I've browsed.

However... as a first time con, held in a city were J-rock is not readily available, I feel they did a very good job. They were not anti j-rock; they permitted them into a masquerade that was specifically for anime only costumes. They permitted a panel on J-rock that lasted more then and hour and a half. And, while no one showed for it, they did have a j-rock karaoke hour.

This year, they've appointed a J-rock coordinator. That alone tells me at least that they're interested in improving the selection of events they offer in regards to the music.

While the Masquerade's have been seperated, (and this seems to be final from what I read on the forums...) I think at this point we need to support the events by telling them what we j-rockers want to see, instead of complaining on various forums.

www.psychoticdoll.com
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 12:05 PM   #4
Greggo

Yeah, heaven forbid an anime convention should be too focused on anime.

In other news, the Baseball Hall of Fame has had a protest lodged against it to include more softball coverage because the Hall is too focused on baseball.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
davemerrill

Seriously, what's stopping the Mighty Forces Of J-Rock from starting their own convention and saving the rest of us the trouble of having to deal with them? I'm pretty sure Anime Boston has enough to worry about without having to satisfy the whims of a loud, vocal, attention-starved minority.
davemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #6
shiroi_yukiko
has helmet hair

I think the fact that they're willing to give the jrock "minority" anything is good enough. ^^ It's better than nothing, right?
Etsy Shop
shiroi_yukiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #7
Ametenshi
Banned

Nothing is stopping us from starting our own convention. But, 'J-Rock is Anime and Anime is J-Rock' (~Kuroe) Like I've said numerous times in other threads, this is because of anime soundtracks which a big part of them is J-Rock, and also because of the popular J-Rock inspired animes and magas, such as Gravitation (my personal favorite)
Ametenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 03:00 PM   #8
Mike Toole

Quote:
Originally posted by Ametenshi
Nothing is stopping us from starting our own convention. But, 'J-Rock is Anime and Anime is J-Rock'
Whiskey, tango, foxtrot. Over.
Unread 06-12-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
shaman

Quote:
Originally posted by Ametenshi
Nothing is stopping us from starting our own convention. But, 'J-Rock is Anime and Anime is J-Rock' (~Kuroe) Like I've said numerous times in other threads, this is because of anime soundtracks which a big part of them is J-Rock, and also because of the popular J-Rock inspired animes and magas, such as Gravitation (my personal favorite)
So, why don't you just dress up as a character from Gravitation? As you said that is anime and it is appropriate for an ANIME CONVENTION (not J-Rock Central). J-Rock and anime may be somewhat related, but you usually don't see an anime featuring Animated Hide or animated Malice Mizer. If there were animated Hide or animated Malice Mizer on TV or OVAs or something even remotely related I could see anime conventions supporting you wearing a costume, but that is not how it is the last time I checked. Dressing up like your favorite glamfem J-Rock star has nothing to do with anime. If you want to dress up like your favorite anime character from a J-Rock anime like Gravitation and Kaikan Phrase I can't see what the conflict is. It seems like Anime Boston is working on entire events for your little clique, events that I couldn't give a dam* about myself and quite frankly wouldn't even notice if they were gone, and are probably taking up money that could go to things like guests. I would be thankful that they are going out of their way for you, and if you aren't happy go and start your own convention.
shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #10
shaman

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi
Actually, I'm finding Anime Boston is getting far too much bad publicity about their lack of J-rock Programming. It's a complaint I've seen on almost every forum I've browsed.
I agree, and it's the same two people complaining. I would advise checking out their petition, they have about 5 people signed on even after vommiting this "crisis" all over the internet. I am not impressed with their behavior. On the other hand, the Anime Boston staff seems to be amazingly supportive of the genre considering that these two fans are determined to cut of their nose to spite their face.
shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Chi

I do agree that anime/j-rock are related. They're related in the same way the video games and anime are related. J-rock has incorporated anime into their music the way games have incorporated anime into themselves. (Dir En Grey has manga based covers, Malice Mizer has manga featuring them in their fanzines, and X Japan has had animation companies do their music videos for them, like rusty nail.) I also recognize that many mangaka's not only pull their story lines as well as their fashions for their characters from J-rock. Kaikan Phrase and Angel Sanctuary being the two most notorious, partially due to the denials of the Mangakas. Gackt (Former Malice Mizer) has been through at least 2 lawsuits with video game companies at this point, because of their blatant copyright infringement of him with characters like Squall. You can find him in both Final Fantasy 8 and 10.

I think the petition would be understandable if J-rock was originally permitted in the masquerade. But it wasn't. Neither was video game characters that lacked any connection with anime (aka, no anime based sequences.) However, both were in the masquerade due to the fact it was a first year con, and everyone was very relaxed.

We don't even know what's possible in the way of J-rock events yet. Talk to the J-rock coordinator before complaining about it. No one has even made suggestions on ANY forum about what they want to see, and personally, as a J-rock supportor and Panel head at AB last year, I want to know what people are interested in seeing.

www.psychoticdoll.com
Unread 06-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #12
Zelly
come on fhqwhgads

Whatever you do...I'd recommend you stop spamming people with e-mail and such...*growls* >< Some of the people you've e-mailed aren't even GOING to Anime Boston in the first place.

go ahead, invade my privacy...
Zelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #13
PatrickD
As seen in Dramacon vol 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi
and personally, as a J-rock supportor and Panel head at AB last year, I want to know what people are interested in seeing.
You were the head of panel programming at Anime Boston 2003? That's news to me...
Use AnimeCons.com and the AnimeCons.com Forums to find anime cons near you!
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #14
Chi

The intro to J-rock panel at AB in April. I did it with Awaresa - Awa did all the correspondance with AB, and I did the research info, and correspondance with other participants. I meant to say i was a panel head - a typo on my part. (Sorry.)
Unread 06-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #15
number18
cyborg playgirl

Hmm, yes, from what an acquaintance said in her LJ, start your own convention if you want J-rock. These people are interested in promoting an ANIME convention, not a concert. I wouldn't say J-rock is anime, not at all. That's a bunch of crap. You would have to say ANY band that ever did a song for ANY anime belongs and deserves to have its own programming at a convention. :/ Do the Japanese consider J-rock = anime? It's considered visual kei.

Hmm, this whole thread is just nothing but bait for flaming, if you ask me. There are so many things I could say about why this little cry for justice, but I won't.

If you were unhappy with the lack of a j-rock panel, that's your own fault. There were a billion chances to sign up and do your own panel at Anime Boston. It's very rude to go around complaining like this, pointing fingers because something you liked wasn't "properly represented." Really, if you want to see it, get to work and make it happen - don't go around yelling at people that they should be catering to your needs.

And I find this line most amusing:
"This year at Anime Boston, JRock got little to no attention. It was too focused on anime. "

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote