Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Aera

Bald head, how to create from latex?

I thought about doing a cap as a base for a wig with a clearly visible hairline. The thing is, I have a tutorial in a book for doing it from this special plastic for bald heads. But these could only be used once and I would need to redo a new one every time I want to do that cosplay Plus that plastic is really expensive.

So I was thinking about doing a cap from latex, hoping that this is more durable. Does anyone have a tutorial for something like this? Or an idea how I could do a more durable cap? Or an idea of how I could hide my own hairline und the one of the wig? Maybe if I just did some pieces of latex and glued them to the wig... (but that is probably rather a question for the wig-forum)

I'm really at a loss here, since I'm only a beginner when it comes to cosplay, and this is going to be my 2nd cos D:

Ah one last question: could I work with latex on a styropor head?

So some help would really be appreciated ^-^
Aera is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

I really would not use latex or any rubber as a base for a wig. Latex, even of good quality and properly applied/removed will only be good for a certain period of time. I don't think it's a solution at all.

I crossplay The Phantom of the Opera and ran into the same problem you did - I needed a wig that had a natural hairline (and would cover my own). It had to be extremely slicked back, and thus the hairline was extremely important. I constructed a full lace wig on my own. Here is a link to my thread in the Wig Forum complete with photos and other information:
The Making of a Fully Ventilated Wig

Granted, this may not be a solution for you either; it'll depend on your budget and your dedication. If you're only interested in using the cosplay a couple of times, it probably won't be worth it. It was a fairly pricey and highly laborious, but I have a professional theatre quality wig that will last for years. I'm even planning on making a second one this summer to polish my skills.

If you already have the wig and are looking to put a natural hairline on it, it can be done. Basically you remove the stitching on the front (and thin out some of the hair to be saved for later), sew on a piece of fine lace, and ventilate (hand tie) the extra hairs into the lace.

To be even simpler, you could use your own hair as the hairline, depending on the wig style and suitable color of your hair. Pull down the first 1/2" of hair (your hairline), place the rest of your hair in a wig cap if needed, put the wig on, then lay your hairline over the front of the wig (use hairspray/gel as needed). Of course this only works if your hair and the color of the wig are similar. I did this last fall with good results, as you can see in this photo.

I hope some of that was helpful.

Last edited by Phantomtango1 : 02-19-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Phantomtango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Aera

@Phantomtango: Thanks a lot for your answer! Especially your 2nd sounds managable. Considering the time and the money I have left for this project. And all of it is really helpful
I had already been thinking about a similar solution, for which I would have added some lace to the front of the wig I already bought and sewed wefts onto it.. In the end I would have combed/styled the hair over the edge of the wig (I hope you understand what I mean, I'm not a native english speaker and this is hard to describe ^^') But combining the technqiue for a lace wig and a normal weft wig sounds even better. I hope I find the time to finish it.

I have a few more questions: could you recommend some tutorial on how one does the actual knotting? (I mean how one attaches the single hairs to the lace). Does spirit gum has any influence on kanekalon? And what do I need to take care of when attaching the lace to the wig... it should be on my own head, ne? How do actually mark the new edge of the wig?. And how do I thin out a wig, without makign it look bald in places. I ask this, because I fear the wig will have too much volume if I just slick back all the hair, that is already there.
Wah so many questions, but right now I'm just really happy, that finally I seem to have found a solution to this important question. ^________^ So thanks a lot again!

(and I think this thread rather belongs to the wig-section now...)
Aera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

Quote:
could you recommend some tutorial on how one does the actual knotting?
Absolutely. Essentially you fold the hair in half, pull it through the lace and hook it with the ventilating needle, twist, and pull the hair through itself to tie. Makeup artist/wigmaker Lars Carlsson has an incredibly useful site including a picture tutorial for ventilating hair:
http://www.makeup-fx.com/Perukeng.html

Of course, you'll need a specialized ventilating needle for this. Alcone Company has these available (be sure to get a holder for it too). If you don't already have some sort of holder, like a styrofoam head or canvas wig block to work from, I'd suggest getting one as you'll need to pin the wig and its lace down to secure it while you tie the hair. The canvas block is best, but keeping costs in mind, the styrofoam will work fine.

Quote:
Does spirit gum has any influence on kanekalon?
As far as damaging the hair? Or are you looking to glue the hair? I've not worked with kanekalon personally, but I do not believe the spirit gum would do any damage.

Quote:
How do actually mark the new edge of the wig?
It may be a good idea to do a head cast of yourself. This will give you the shape of your head and your actual hairline so that you can duplicate it on the lace. Look at this wigmaking video on YouTube - the first process with the plastic wrap and tape is the headcasting. You'll probably need someone to help you with tracing your hairline and applying the tape. Then simply place the headcast on the wig block and there you go! If it's too big for the wig block, stuff tissue or some fabric underneath so that it fits and retains the shape of your head. Secure it on the block, then put the wig on top of that. Then you'll know exactly where your hairline is as you tie in the new hair.

Quote:
And how do I thin out a wig, without makign it look bald in places.
Be sure to thin evenly throughout the wig. Take very small amounts of hair from all over rather than thicker clumps. The best way is to just take your time.

I'm really glad you found that useful! If I can be of any more help, please don't hesitate to ask.
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
envirion
Monster Hunter Tactician

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but how do you create a bald head from latex?

It would be useful to know for future ChanTho cosplay... ^^

Working on: MagFest: Beat (Jet Set Radio Future), Central Officer Bradford (XCOM: Enemy Unknown), AkiZeta-5 (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri)
Katsucon: Pink Tourmaline (Sakizou), Cocona (Ar Tonelico), Retro!Sailor Mercury by Abbydraws, Cafe!KlanKlan (MacrossF)

Projects: Hinoto (X/1999) | Plans: Too many...
envirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Phantomtango1
www.phantomonabudget.com

You need a bald cap, which usually are made from latex or plastic (Glatzan). The latex rubber caps are generally considered more durable (and can be reused), but I personally like plastic better for a more intimate setting like small theatres and cosplay, as the edges are easier to blend so it looks more realistic.