Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hellsing

Unread 02-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
TwilightAmelia

Alucard's Hat

Yeah, yeah. I searched the forum and all the Hellsing threads were like 2 years old or about Seras Victoria. Can someone who has done an Alucard costume help me out? I'm making it for a sewing-illiterate friend, and while I have a usable pattern for the duster, the hat is causing me some trouble. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Unread 02-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Tia

I did help with an Alucard costume, but I didn't make the hat. I can tell you what the person who made the hat did, though. He basically took a hat that normally fit him and dark red felt. He fitted the felt around the cap portion of the hat as much as it possibly would go and sewed the back together to make it stay. The brim of the hat isn't too difficult to do, just take another piece of felt and cut it in the approximate shape. Then put the other piece on top of it to trace around where the hole on the brim piece should be. Cut that out and sew the two pieces together. Then, put the felt hat back on top of the normal hat to give it shape (hopefully a hat you either bought at a thrift store or don't care too much about) and stiffen it. I suggest you use some type of glue that you just soak into the fabric, or polyester resin. I did a test of it on some felt a little while ago when I was planning to make a pirate hat and it worked well to stiffen but not make the fabric completely inflexible.
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
TwilightAmelia

Thanks. I want the hat to be good since I see a lot of Alucard cosplayers who get the hat wrong and then the whole costume looks off. The whole point of my friend doing this costume is because he has the perfect body for it. Which puts a lot of pressure on me to get the fit of the coat right, as well. ;___;