Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Air Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Elendriel
God of Mischief

General Air Gear cosplay thread

With the popularity of Air Gear, and the growing amount of people who are cosplaying from it, I thought there should be an all-purpose general Air Gear thread, this way we can help each other out as we work on cosplays and post progress pics etc!

I for one have three so far in progress Kaito, Spitfire and.... of course, Agito/Akito.

What about you?

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Elendriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Yukari Kaiba
LIKE A BOSS

I've recently got into Air Gear myself, and eventually I want to do a Mikan cosplay (her jumpsuit is so awesome XD)

2013 Cosplay!
Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)COMPLETE!
Alibaba Saluja (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic)COMPLETE!
Hige (Wolf's Rain)COMPLETE!
Sanada Yukimura, Revoltech limited edition variant (Sengoku BASARA)COMPLETE!
Subway Master Nobori (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Candlehead (Sugar Rush!/Wreck-It Ralph)COMPLETE!
Scrafty (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Hatsune Miku, Magnet variant (Vocaloid)COMPLETE!
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)
Yukari Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
benihime
Kimono Queen

oooo good idea!!!

i'm in a group of bacchus (from the musical)

i'm puck!
i think we might have a whole group @ AX!
but we're having problems finding material for the jackets

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Elendriel
God of Mischief

ooh Mikan would be awesome to see!!

hmm. do you have any pics benihime?

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Yukari Kaiba
LIKE A BOSS

@CloakedSchemer - lol my thoughts exactly. i've never done a cosplay that revealing before (if you can call it revealing?), or for that matter a girl cosplay (as all of my costumes have been crossplay XD), but i really like her jumpsuit, and i can only imagine all the kinds of neat pictures to take while wearing the rollerblades/air treks. so its something i look forward to making

2013 Cosplay!
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Elendriel
God of Mischief

*nod* definitely!!! I can't wait to get some AT shots when I do Spitfire and Agito/Akito (since Kaito isn't so much a fan of those)

Are you thinking about making it all from scratch? or buying/modifying some parts?

*Planned cons for 12*
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
SSPrincess
Miscellaneously Myself

Annnd originally I was supposed to just photograph an Air Gear shoot, not be in it. XD

Now I've got Ringo pretty much done as her costume is mostly stuff that anybody would have...jeans, shirt, hat...just gotta dye the wig and get a better jacket for Ringo's Sleeping Forest 'uniform.' And as some of you going to AnimeNEXT, I am in the process of putting together a Rika as the Thorn Queen cosplay.

I'm wondering how to go about doing Rika's AT's though...go with rain boots or cut leather knee-high boots? Or just go with leather knee-high boots?
'Be thou for the people' apparently means that you have to sit on the ground in 82 degree weather trying to transmute Sasuke, money, sandwiches, weapons, the Deathnote, and a number of other things. XD

Last edited by SSPrincess : 02-24-2008 at 11:27 PM.
SSPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Elendriel
God of Mischief

ooh Rika-nee!! Awesome Hmmmm well, it depends, do you want to be able to remove the ATs to walk around a con, or do you want to stay in your ATs the entire time? (Some cons will let you, others won't, like Katsu and Otakon etc).

That's kinda the first question I'd think. You can always do both, have the leather boots for walking around, but make ATs out of boots for when you want to get shots on your ATs

Just my 2cents

*Planned cons for 12*
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
benihime
Kimono Queen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...kicons/022.jpg

in the manga i got to about volume 5?
i really want to attempt a kazu cosplay later. he's my favorite so far :3

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Yukari Kaiba
LIKE A BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakedSchemer View Post
*nod* definitely!!! I can't wait to get some AT shots when I do Spitfire and Agito/Akito (since Kaito isn't so much a fan of those)

Are you thinking about making it all from scratch? or buying/modifying some parts?
eh well i'd like to make it from scratch - not sure how often you find jumpsuits of the right color in thrift stores and what not. the air treks though ill probably end up getting rollerblades for and making sure that have the right color scheme - i have no idea how i'd go about making them have just the two big wheels and such.

2013 Cosplay!
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
SSPrincess
Miscellaneously Myself

Due to the fact that Rika's costume is mostly Jacket and bathing suit and I'm not exactly crazy about running around with just that on, I'd pretty much just wear Rika for photoshoots. Ringo I'd walk around with, but not Rika.

So now...the question is destroy a pair of rain boots for their tops or a pair of leather boot knee-high boots? XD
'Be thou for the people' apparently means that you have to sit on the ground in 82 degree weather trying to transmute Sasuke, money, sandwiches, weapons, the Deathnote, and a number of other things. XD
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
TybaltFlux
FORCE-CHOKE

I've got the wiener costume- Nue >.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...escreenjj8.png
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/TYBF/10.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/TYBF/06.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...BF/016-017.jpg

The mind is boggled as to where to begin with the full costume, seen in image 10. I have a buddy of mind who kindly is taking up the wig and jacket comissioned (as seen in 06 and in the first picture), and I think I'll slowly work on the full body regalia as the year passes by. My skills are SOOO far away from anywhere near that level, but I really do want to attempt it.

Now, that being said, I still want to do Nue for the summer. What would you guys think of Nue based around his jacket, wig, AT's, and his claw arms, as pictured in the last image?

As the aforementioned buddy said to me once, Nue's costume consistency isn't that good, as in some anime shots and some manga shots, he can't possibly be wearing the regalia, nor is the regalia shown in the anime at all, so I figure I could have some leniency in the costume-making. I figure the wig, jackets, and AT's will do the trick until I figure out how to make the rest of the mecha-suit.

As far as the wig goes, my friend is fairly confident that she can do it. For the jacket, I adviced 6 zipppers down the bottom and two zippers at the arms. Not full zippers (aside from the main split one) mind you, but mid-length or so. His jacket also seems to have an inner-collar, almost turtleneck-ish, yet with a hood at the same time. Anyone care to give their view on this weird trenchcoat anamoly? I might just be looking too into it.

As far as the claws go, I have a nifty idea involving long gloves (once more, thanks to the buddy for the tip), paper foam, and a clay skull placed on a spool that twirls to produce faux electricity wires like Nue's.

I'm open to suggestions of any kind, especially since as far as I know, no one's done a Nue cosplay before AND he's an obscure character, so guidance would be much appreciated!

Last edited by TybaltFlux : 02-24-2008 at 11:38 PM.
TybaltFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
SSPrincess
Miscellaneously Myself

Dude, a junior model(me) running around in a jacket and a bathing suit(Rika the Thorn Queen) at a geek convention? I think I wwwinnnn! XD

As for the jacket, not a clue, I'm trying to figure out how to make Rika's. =p As for the arm, that I might be able to help out with as one who is in the process of completing her automail for her Edward Elric costume. =) Craft foam plus silver sign vinyl = win. You should check out Amethyst Angel's tutorials as they are a great resource for making metallic/armor stuff:
http://www.amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

This is what I've got of my automail via using Amehtyst Angel's tutorial as a guide with just some metallic paint (which I don't recommend using as it rubs off), craft foam, some elastic and silver sign vinyl:
http://doodleplex.deviantart.com/art...art-1-61613087

Though I'm thinking that glue works better when attaching the sign vinyl to the craft foam than sewing it and leaving all those lovely stitch markings. XD Faiiiill...
Unread 02-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
TybaltFlux
FORCE-CHOKE

Actually, Ed's automail is a great way of thinking about Nue's arm that I hadn't thought about. I was thinking of applying something like this to the arm, however: the ever famous craft foam tutorial http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper...helmsdeep.html!

As for your boots, SSP, I say go the rain boots path. Cheaper, and probably more comfortable, right? I also envy your Rika-ness, because you won't be in excessive clothing in the middle of summer whereas I plan to have a vinyl-esque trench coat May-August.

I am going to die.

P.S., I forgot to thank CloakSchemer for the much appreciated all purpose Air Gear thread. The series has so many captivating characters to cosplay as that a thread like this is much needed. Watch me ask for help on how to make Lind by the end of the week . Oh geez, I really need to simmer with the A.G. costumes before my entire repertoire ends up consisiting of a pair of roller blades.
Unread 02-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #15
SSPrincess
Miscellaneously Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TybaltFlux View Post
As for your boots, SSP, I say go the rain boots path. Cheaper, and probably more comfortable, right? I also envy your Rika-ness, because you won't be in excessive clothing in the middle of summer whereas I plan to have a vinyl-esque trench coat May-August.

I am going to die.
Rain boots it is!
*heads to Walmart for cheap rain boots*
Though remember Rika's got a lurvely long shiny jacket too, but it's my Edward Elric cosplay that'll kill me...the dude dresses 90% in black and it's a black shirt, with a black jacket and then that red, long coat. Not to mention his automail. D=
*melts into a puddle*

But I digress. I have lots of silver sign vinyl as I'm not going to be able to use all of it for my Edward Elric's automail if you want some for Nue....just so you know...