Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 03-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
venus

Going to Japan..places suggestions?

I'm planning to go to Japan for a week (beginning of June) before I head to Hong Kong for a month.
*excited*
And I am wondering what places I should visit for cosplaying stuff. -Like fabrics, wigs, body suits, accessories, that type of thing. I also wish to get something like a lolita skirt/blouse. I'm going alone, and some of the cosplay stuff I'm getting, will be sent to my friend's house so I won't have to take it all back to HK with me.

Plus, I would like to visit as many themed Cafes and Restaurants as well.
Also, are there any pretty scenic places that you would recommend going? Even if I don't have my cosplays with me, I would still like to take lots pictures of pretty backgrounds.

I know I'm asking quite a bit, but I'm want to go to many places with the limited time I have in Japan. I'll be going alone, but a friend of mine lives there, so he may be interested in going to some of these places with me. He's not into cosplaying and such. :japan:
venus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Scortia

All my info is Tokyo-based. :P

The Nakano mall (aka the "otaku mall") in Nakano, Tokyo has some cosplay stores.

There was some cosplay stuff at a store in Ikebukuro. In Ikebukuro there's a small block of girl-themed anime stores like K-books near the Sunshine City building. I can't remember what store it was specifically though.

If you want Lolita stuff you need to hit Harajuku.

You'll find maid cafes all over Akihabara ("Akiba"). I'm sure there's some cosplay stuff in Akiba but you have to search a lot for it since the place is heavy on male-otaku goods.

For nice backgrounds, I suggest the Meiji shrine in Harajuku or the Asakusa district because it has a nice temple area plus just a really quaint, pretty neighborhood look. There were a few dozen cosplayers hanging out there and taking photos in the area when we were staying in Asakusa. :P

Last edited by Scortia : 03-06-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

You should look through the advertisement section of cosmode, the G&L bibles, etc, etc (Japanese editions, of course). I will suggest Closet Child for your Lolita needs. They're a second-hand store, with a wide variety of styles and brands, and they have several locations.
http://www.closet-child.com/about.html

EDIT: Also, if you want to see if there are any cosplay events going on during your stay, check Cure.
http://cure.livedoor.com/event_info/

Last edited by WoggyWooWoo : 03-06-2008 at 03:03 PM.
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
venus

Thank you both for all your info~
I'll plan the best routes and check them out. I'll definitely check out the mall, and the lolita store for sure~
As much as I would like to go to a cosplay event in Japan, I don't think I'll have that much of a time.. I check the link of cosplay events, and it's like the day right after I am in Japan. *sigh*
venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
Don Marmoto

mmmh begginng of June then a month at Hong kong, maybe on your trip back you could stop at Nagoya for the WCS, but I think you will still missed cause is made on August

have fun in Tokyo, nakano is great place to get lost on the stores, they int cheap
Don Marmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
SongofAmazon
Sing me Mercury

I'm currently in Osaka myself but I'll be in Tokyo for a while next week. I'm curious what good places are for fabrics and trims. There's a couple little craft stores near me, but the fabric selection is pretty small. Any suggestions?

Costumes for this Season:
Subaru - .hack//SIGN
Crystal - Pokemon
Li Kohran - Sakura Taisen
Eirote - Scrapped Princess
Sarasa - Basara
SongofAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
mixaka
Granter of wishes

It's probably a little late for this info, but there is a good size fabric/craft store near the east exit of the JR Shinjuku station. It's called Okadaya. I think they have a website you can order from as well.
mixaka is offline   Reply With Quote