Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 03-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
orca_sora
Ketchup Kosplay Member

You can definitely tell Mega is leaning toward the anime target audience, for it was the most anime it has ever been and I've been going since 2004. Granted, that's what I go for more than any other genre (although, if you *really* want the best multi-fandom con, head up to Dragon*con in August) and last year's boost in anime focus convinced myself and my group to go all three days this year and cosplay - whereas in the past we've just gone Saturday and didn't bother to be in costume.

Not sure if I liked the switch to the South Concourse, there seemed to be less space but more ease in navigation. Also, the maturity of the crowds seems to keep going downhill, but it was a great success for cosplay in general and I lost count how many hugs and compliments - not to mention photos - I received wearing all three of my cosplays.

I do really like panels, however, and agree that there just weren't many of them nor much interest. The best is always the FUNimation panel and it was really the only one my group made it to, other than part of the VA panel on Friday - which was laden with the typical "Can you say this line?" questions that made me want to stab my keyblade through my skull. Not sure why I keep expecting anything different when I attend those, although at Dragon*con it was actually worth going to because there were actual real questions which made it incredibly interesting. Granted, I'm an older cosplayer and fan, so as years go by the maturity of a lot of attendees bug me more and more. Mega is a con that a lot of younger fans attend because they have disposable income with parents attending or making a vacation out of it.

The con overall was great, but there wasn't much incentive to stay past 6 PM any of the days, really. I planned to go to the rave but am glad I skipped it. I think next year I'll go back to only attending one day - too expensive a con to go all 3 and expect the most bang for my buck.

2010 Conventions
MegaCon -- TBD
AFO 11 -- 8/6-8/8
Dragon*Con -- 9/3-9/6
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party -- TBD

2011 Costumes
Alice -- Pandora Hearts
Kiki -- Kiki's Delivery Service
Sakura (Pink Flower) -- Cardcaptor Sakura
orca_sora is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
nope
youth is explosive!

a lot bigger than last year. i like this convention center a lot more than the other one. the staff was extremely helpful and knew what they were doing!

great overall!

twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ohnicole
frequently updated photolog: http://flickr.com/photos/weekenders

wanna shoot? live in south florida or orlando?
pm me for details!
nope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Juego
Do you want a 2nd opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Red vs Blu. It was Team Fortress 2.
We had a very funny photo shoot -- we're all just waiting on the pictures.

I also have to say -- I thought the OCC security did a fine job. The ladies guarding the dealer room entrance seemed especially nice, despite a rather monotonous job of checking wrist bands.
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
penguinmane

Well I was warned about megacon

was kinda too big for my first megacon

being solo there and more or less antisocial wasnt a good idea...

I did enjoy the many photo ops and cosplay

but yes i was a very loney Shunsui at the con
penguinmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #20
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Though I did hear there were supposed to be actual Red vs. Blue people too, but I never saw them *sigh*.
i saw one guy dressed as a red team member, he got upset cause everyone kept calling him sarge even though he said he was just a random red member.

i also have to add that the anime trivia sucked ass. majorly. all the questions were from animes from cartoon network or 4kids tv. there were only two questions that were from animes not fully in the us, and that was the theme song to lucky star (which i got) and one regarding the death note, which anyone whos ever seen even one episode of deathnote could figure out, and that one was in the final round. there were a lot of sailor moon ones, and they even screwed up on a few questions. the other question that i got was a complete fluk cause they screwed up majorly on the question. it was regarding the name of the ship that jet black owned in the anime cowboy bebop, and when i said the bebop, they told me i was wrong, then gave it to some guy who said the hemmerhead, which is also true because jet owns them both, but when i tried to correct them, they told me the bebop was the ship that the hammerhead docked on (which is true) and that the picture was of the hammerhead, but they had a picture of the hammerhead docked on the bebop. to pretty much sum it all up, it sucked ass, they screwed up on so many questions, and they should really not do it again next year, or if they do, do animes that arent available in america yet as well.
chris-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
Violinist_Akina

I liked Megacon this year, but things I did notice make me wonder sometimes. :/ the maturity level like Orca said went downhill, a lot. I don't think I've ever seen so many "Free Hugs" signs. o___O;; and the fact dear lord someone saw a Naruto cosplayer, they went insane. I like Naruto and all, but theres a limit to how much. And the "Will Yaoi/Yuri for food/money" signs are really repetitive. bah. Plus after about 5 it seemed like there was really nothing to do except wander which I ended up doing for a while.

Also the Rave was a bust this year. :/ I like the little trains and all that people form, they're fun sometimes. But I don't appreciate them breaking through a group and almost knocking people over, or while going around, people from the train randomly slapping someone else on the arse as they go by. :/ *happened to me* Eh it kinda seemed rushed and the room felt a bit smaller? Maybe it was just me. *shrugs* I didn't like how people would just stand around also :/ If you're not gonna dance, at least leave the room so it's not as crowded.

I did appreciate actually being stopped though for pictures. I enjoyed it being as I'm really still just a beginner cosplayer and all. And I met some cool and nice people that I was able to bond with quickly. :3

Overall I think it was fun.

AFO
Twilight Town Roxas, Lavi (3rd Uniform), Azula (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

Dragon*Con
Twilight Town Roxas, Lavi (3rd Uniform), Azula (Avatar: The Last Airbender), Sanzo (Saiyuki Reload), Steampunk Original Design
Violinist_Akina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
HOTgaara666

IT WAS AWESOME
Best con ever for me
and the one ive cause the most riots at! xD
i hugged billions of people too
i was sooo tired from saturday
that i couldnt go sunday
i was sasuke with a mask
and my friends were
L, naruto, and a jrocker
and harajuku girl and emo girl
LOL you probably heard our riot
of yaoi vs yuri
me and my friend started that we were
shocked that the whole con joined in!
My cousin said yuri was better
and i said yaoi was better
thenw e started yelling at each other
and then the con joine di was laughing so hard
sorry to give you guys headaches!
and also my boyfriend, my best friend, and my cousin
started doing yaoi and making out and like getting
naked at the con! and i did some yuri DDD
i had loads of fun!
pm me if you saw me or met me
or hugged me xDDDDDDDDDD
HOTgaara666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
chris-chan
the one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTgaara666 View Post
and also my boyfriend, my best friend, and my cousin started doing yaoi and making out and like getting naked at the con!
was one of them cosplaying as L?
chris-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #24
Irresistiblemnt
Meggy the Sacred Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist_Akina View Post
... the maturity level like Orca said went downhill, a lot.
I agree. I'm all up for random fun and all, but not being able to move in a hallway because a bunch of kids are getting rowdy and/or screaming at each other is a tad bit grating on the nerves. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, haha. I also hear you on the sheer volume of Naruto cosplay. It's great if that is your kind of thing, but to see such numbers of Naruto cosplayers got a little old after a while - the ratio of it compared to other costumes was way out of proportion.

I was, on the other hand, thrilled to see the Team Fortress 2 group and other groups that were a little more "out of the box". Plus, the quality of a bunch of the DC/Marvel and Twilight Princess costumes was amazing.

Had a great time with my friends, though, and was really psyched to meet a bunch of new people. Definitely the best part of the convention. :3

Currently working on/revamping - Viral (Gurren Lagann), Cammy White (Street Fighter), & Paulie (One Piece)

LJ.
Irresistiblemnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #25
Digitallica
kendraphoto.com

Unfortunately, I can never really give a justified review of most of the cons I go to, since I very rarely get to participate in any of the events. But, I'll just talk about the things I did notice.

...Did the dealer's room always close so early? I found that rather odd, since the ticket prices were higher, to compensate for the large size of the dealer's room, yet it closed at 6:00. That just seems really early for me, but, perhaps I didn't notice it in previous years.

There were soooo many people on Saturday. I'm not complaining about that, it was nice to be at such a crowded con, and see so many cosplays, but it was hard to actually see them. xD "Wow, what a nice cosplay, can I get a phot---oh...wait, I'm being pushed away by a sea of people."

Since all I really did was stay in the halls, I didn't get to see much of Megacon, and I'm sad I missed Voltaire.

Digitallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #26
shredsofsanity0

Megacon it self was a blast. The lack of panels was truly did not peek my interest. Cosplays were amazing of course and the very few Guilty Gear ones I saw were my favorite. Especially the May. ^_^

Anyways it sucked I wasn't able to make it out to the gathering Saturday. Went back to the hotel around 1ish and got some lunch with some friends that I hadn't seen in a while. Kenshiro will definitely be done by Metrocon I promise -_-. Also two friends of mine got a high priestess figure from Ragnarok and the other got a Hisui from Melty Blood and both kick major ass.

Florida Supercon - May 23rd - 25th - Weston, FL

Last edited by shredsofsanity0 : 03-10-2008 at 09:39 PM.
shredsofsanity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #27
orca_sora
Ketchup Kosplay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitallica View Post
...Did the dealer's room always close so early? I found that rather odd, since the ticket prices were higher, to compensate for the large size of the dealer's room, yet it closed at 6:00. That just seems really early for me, but, perhaps I didn't notice it in previous years.

There were soooo many people on Saturday. I'm not complaining about that, it was nice to be at such a crowded con, and see so many cosplays, but it was hard to actually see them. xD "Wow, what a nice cosplay, can I get a phot---oh...wait, I'm being pushed away by a sea of people."
I wondered that, too. Weird.

And dude, Saturday's crowds were absolutely insane. I mean, Sat is always the busiest but I'm glad I did my major shopping on Friday and Sunday because it was impossible to see much of anything in there on Saturday.

2010 Conventions
MegaCon -- TBD
AFO 11 -- 8/6-8/8
Dragon*Con -- 9/3-9/6
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party -- TBD

2011 Costumes
Alice -- Pandora Hearts
Kiki -- Kiki's Delivery Service
Sakura (Pink Flower) -- Cardcaptor Sakura
orca_sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #28
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca_sora View Post
I wondered that, too. Weird.

And dude, Saturday's crowds were absolutely insane. I mean, Sat is always the busiest but I'm glad I did my major shopping on Friday and Sunday because it was impossible to see much of anything in there on Saturday.
Saturday was horrible if you were trying to get to the con via I4. I spent at least 1.5 hours on the exit alone, trying to get to I-Drive. If I didn't have my pass already, I would have just cried when I saw the reg line inside the con.
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #29
shredsofsanity0

Juego: This is why hotels across the street are a good thing in some cases! ^_^

Florida Supercon - May 23rd - 25th - Weston, FL

shredsofsanity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
Juego

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredsofsanity0 View Post
Juego: This is why hotels across the street are a good thing in some cases! ^_^
HA HA, yes, even though I live 20 min away and had my own bed (and internet connection) to return to, I envied y'all in hotels.