Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 03-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

How to lighten a wig?

The wig is made with Kanekalon Fiber and golden, but looks kind of orange...
Here is a photo of it....
http://www.cosprops.com/a50-80cm-gol...tml?cPath=15_6

I wanted a golden blonde wig for my Rosette costume and this was the closest one I could find that matched everything I was looking for but I'm afraid it is going to be too orange.

How can I lighten this to make it blonder?
Here is a photo of the color I need to it be...
http://www.basehead.org/files/shots/...eWallpaper.jpg

I'd image that I would only need to lighten it a bit. I know you can use Sharpie ink to dye fiber wigs, but can I use it to lighten this orange? Would I use yellow sharpie?

As you can tell I have no idea so if anyone could help me out here that would be great! Thanks!

Unread 03-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Ghost613
Your face is a Geostigma!

It is impossible to lighten a wig. Period. (And you first link doesn't work). (Wait, yes it does. Still...)
Ghost613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Annie-Mei

you can't lighten a wig. remember, the hair on wigs is colored plastic. It would be like you trying to make a Brown plastic bowl, yellow
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Some wigs can lighten a bit by being left in the sun...however this process is completely unpredictable and it may turn an unpleasant colour.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
chisainekocat
Harr0

As the previous posters have said, you can't lighten a wig, but the wig color you have isn't too bad for your character, actually. A yellow sharpie is much too light compared to your color to do anything, but try a marigold sharpie. I'm not sure, but it might give the wig a slightly blonder tint.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
TristenCitrine
The ORANGE Life

As everyone said, it's true- you can't lighten a synthetic fiber wig. You can try a couple tricks, like sewing a lighter color of hair (on a weft) in as highlights, but as full, true hair lightening, it's just not possible.
Unread 03-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisainekocat View Post
As the previous posters have said, you can't lighten a wig, but the wig color you have isn't too bad for your character, actually. A yellow sharpie is much too light compared to your color to do anything, but try a marigold sharpie. I'm not sure, but it might give the wig a slightly blonder tint.
Thank you, I think I might try that. Now I just need to find a marigold sharpie!
Unread 03-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristenCitrine View Post
As everyone said, it's true- you can't lighten a synthetic fiber wig. You can try a couple tricks, like sewing a lighter color of hair (on a weft) in as highlights, but as full, true hair lightening, it's just not possible.
What is a weft? Since I've been learning more about wigs I keep hearing this but I still have no idea what it is...
Unread 03-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
RustyAngel
Cyborg Vigilante

If you look closely at your wig, you'll see that it's made up of many layers of hair in horizontal rows, sewn onto vertical strips of fabric. (You can kind of see what I mean in this picture I took of a wig I was Sharpie coloring. I lifted up the top layers of hair, and you can clearly see the next layer.)

A weft is one of those layers. You can make one by either sewing wig hair together (here's a good tutorial), or by using caulk, as in Katie Bair's method here. Once you have a weft, you can attach it to the wig by sewing it to the vertical bands of fabric in the wig mesh.

Hope this helps!
RustyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAngel View Post
If you look closely at your wig, you'll see that it's made up of many layers of hair in horizontal rows, sewn onto vertical strips of fabric. (You can kind of see what I mean in this picture I took of a wig I was Sharpie coloring. I lifted up the top layers of hair, and you can clearly see the next layer.)

A weft is one of those layers. You can make one by either sewing wig hair together (here's a good tutorial), or by using caulk, as in Katie Bair's method here. Once you have a weft, you can attach it to the wig by sewing it to the vertical bands of fabric in the wig mesh.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for the great information. Now I finally know what a weft is! I'm going to check out those tutorials you mentioned. I hope it's not too hard to do! I think I might try the marigold sharpie like chisainekocat mentioned. I'm not sure how I am going to stye the Rosette or the Kosmos wigs to make their bangs right, can you use wefts to help with bangs?

Sorry it's completely obvious how clueless I am about this kind of stuff...
Unread 03-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
Ghost613
Your face is a Geostigma!

Yes, wefts can be sewn pretty much anywhere in the wig (except for maybe the skin part, which is a bit tougher). Although an alternate method for thick bangs is using batting as foamcore.
Ghost613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Rosette's hair is darker blonde (why darker yellow is used to represent it in my opinion.) it's not really a strawberry-ish blonde. Marigold Sharpie will be a bit too orangy yellow based for Rosette's haircolor to me.
If you haven't already purchased your wig may I make a suggestion? ^_^ For my Rosette costume I got a wig in "butterscotch blonde" It's a golden blonde that has sparse lighter blonde highlights around the front and looks *very* natural. I always get people thinking it's my real hair. ^_^ It was a pretty thick wig too so I put the sides up into Rosette's pigtails pretty easily. (and those pigtails are *great* for keeping the habit on my head..lol) The one I ordered is similar to this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stick-STRAIGHT-B...QQcmdZViewItem

And wefting is easier in the back of the wig especially if you're a beginner. Bang wefting is a bit harder since it requires working under the wig and threading underneath in order to look natural. It's hard to do and pretty time consuming.
I'd just check out the bang cutting tutorials on here, cut them from the front and weft in the back. That way if you mess up it's not a big deal since the majority of the hair will be covered by your habit anyways.
Nice to see a fellow Rosette cosplayer too! ^_^ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Last edited by Miyabi- : 03-19-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
RustyAngel
Cyborg Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestbunnie View Post
Thank you so much for the great information. Now I finally know what a weft is! I'm going to check out those tutorials you mentioned. I hope it's not too hard to do! I think I might try the marigold sharpie like chisainekocat mentioned. I'm not sure how I am going to stye the Rosette or the Kosmos wigs to make their bangs right, can you use wefts to help with bangs?

Sorry it's completely obvious how clueless I am about this kind of stuff...
No problem!

I've actually never made wefts, but if I were going to, I'd probably lean towards trying the caulk method first; it seems a little less time consuming and complicated.

Not sure about the bangs stuff, though--I'll defer to the previous commenters on that one. ^_^
RustyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost613 View Post
Yes, wefts can be sewn pretty much anywhere in the wig (except for maybe the skin part, which is a bit tougher). Although an alternate method for thick bangs is using batting as foamcore.
I tried to click on the link to the foamcore and didn't do anything for me
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
bluestbunnie
(*ノω*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
Rosette's hair is darker blonde (why darker yellow is used to represent it in my opinion.) it's not really a strawberry-ish blonde. Marigold Sharpie will be a bit too orangy yellow based for Rosette's haircolor to me.
If you haven't already purchased your wig may I make a suggestion? ^_^ For my Rosette costume I got a wig in "butterscotch blonde" It's a golden blonde that has sparse lighter blonde highlights around the front and looks *very* natural. I always get people thinking it's my real hair. ^_^ It was a pretty thick wig too so I put the sides up into Rosette's pigtails pretty easily. (and those pigtails are *great* for keeping the habit on my head..lol) The one I ordered is similar to this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stick-STRAIGHT-B...QQcmdZViewItem

And wefting is easier in the back of the wig especially if you're a beginner. Bang wefting is a bit harder since it requires working under the wig and threading underneath in order to look natural. It's hard to do and pretty time consuming.
I'd just check out the bang cutting tutorials on here, cut them from the front and weft in the back. That way if you mess up it's not a big deal since the majority of the hair will be covered by your habit anyways.
Nice to see a fellow Rosette cosplayer too! ^_^ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
I've seen images of Rosette with lighter shades of blonde and then orange shades so I was a little confused on what to get.

The wig you used would have been perfect I wish I hadn't already ordered one! Darn... After the convention this month I might sell wig I just ordered and purchase that one instead. Thanks for sending me that link!?