Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 06-14-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Fake_Harley
Wholly Morel Ground

Something I'm doing for fun shouldn't be so stressful...

GAH! I have, what, two weeks? This is stress release, so yeah you can ignore or add in your stresses: I still need to make the apron for my card girl costume. The hat is looking kinda funky so I might have to start over. I still don't really have as much money saved up as I wanted to. The friend I was going with kinda screwed me over at the last minute. (She said she could go, then suddenly backed out, then said she could go for half the time as the rest of us. So she'll be there, but I'm still kinda mad at her for being so flakey and I don't really feel like being around her.) I still need to get shoes! <--Just remembered that one. -_-;; Oh, and I can't find thigh high white nylons anywhere. I've found black, tan, even pink. But white? Oh, heavens no! Why would they have what I need? x_x
So anybody else dying of stress? <_< >_>
Fake_Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I'm dying of stress for a con that's next weekend: FanimeCon. :X I'm not worrying about AX costumes quite as much, but I'll be rushing because I want new stuff and there's really not much time.

I dunno why I freak out over a hobby like this, and I think it's why I'm slowly falling out of cosplay. ^_^;

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
Cait

I'm coming close to the death. Nothing can compare to last year, though. I had six hours of community service (for a scholarship) to do every weekday in June with small children. Two weeks before the convention I became ill because of the interaction. I was sick all through the convention and my costumes, made inbetween sessions and between coughing fits, reflected that.

This year, all I have is work going on at the same time. I'm "helping" others with thier costumes rather than making them for them.. and I'm avoiding the offical website and message board as that serves only to work me into a useless fangirl glee. And, I've decided that I don't have to finish all my costumes by the convention. I'm going to two cons this year. Whatever I don't finish can be worn to the second one.

All that... and I'm still panicing each time I get another cost estimate for our transportation/hotel planner and each time I find another error in a current costume. Ah!
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
RoseDuelist
CHS Anime Club President

I know what you mean!! I love to cosplay, design, and actually put together costumes, but OI! I'm stressed... I have to make a skirt, alter gloves, make boot covers, arm bands, and a bunch of other stuff... oi...
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Yeah I'm on the stressed out boat too . . . I keep telling myself I'm doing this for fun, and I know I'll have a good time at the con, but at the moment . . . yah. You guys have the same feeling.

I can say though, it really helps to take even a fifteen minute break; I go online and get some motivation from friends, or go play DDR for a while (and then everything else seems like a piece of cake lol).
Ayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 07:35 PM   #6
Isaldur
a.k.a. OoTLink

If you feel so stressed over it maybe you should make your load a little smaller? After all the whole thing is supposed to be fun and if you feel like you're wearing yourself down and driving yourself crazy it isn't exactly a good thing.
Isaldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
Fake_Harley
Wholly Morel Ground

I don't think the load is really so much the problem. I normally can deal with heavy loads very well. I think that things that are going on with the people I'm going with are what's pushing me over the edge and making everything seems worse than it is.
Unread 06-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
Sana-chan
I know, right?

I feel stressed... but in a good way if that's possible lol. I'm excited about it, but also running around crazy trying to finish things up and start new things for other people.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
shwong

Cosplay is something fun and relaxing for me to do. I never let myself get stressed over it! If I did, it would start to be work - not something I do for fun.

Of course, there are costumes that I know I won't finish before AX, as much as I'd like to. *pouts* But I refuse to sacrifice quality just to complete a costume on time for a convention. Rushing a costume just makes it come out horribly. It's not worth it.

If I don't finish in time for AX 2003, I can always finish in time for AX 2004. I can wait.
shwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 12:49 AM   #10
RoseDuelist
CHS Anime Club President

Quote:
Originally posted by Fake_Harley
I don't think the load is really so much the problem. I normally can deal with heavy loads very well. I think that things that are going on with the people I'm going with are what's pushing me over the edge and making everything seems worse than it is.
*laughs inside* Yeah.... I know how THAT is... stupid people forcing boyfriend to choose between me or them and we all have tickets to AX and... *sigh*... it's a big load of crap that I won't go into detail here. ^_^; It's bring everyone down.. so!

*passes out pixie sticks and forgets this conversation was even started*

*ahem*
Unread 06-18-2003, 09:57 AM   #11
Fake_Harley
Wholly Morel Ground

Awww. You're boyfriends friends should butt out... If he likes you, they need to try to do the same, or at least not say anything. *shrugs* I wish I was better at advice.
Unread 06-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #12
domestik
pudding king

I used to stress, but it wasn't because I couldn't finish things in time. ^^; Before conventions, I'm cool as a cucumber. o_o; The only time I DO start stressing is when I'm actually AT the con and my accessories are mixed up and piled underneath a gazillion other things that belong to myself and my roommates. XD; Now THAT is stressful, because yanno you've made it, YANNO you've packed it, but WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!

It's also more irritating than, say, losing the stuff at home cuz at least... you're at home. And you have time to find it. In the hotel room it's all rush, rush and "AHHHH!! I'M GOING CRAZY!"

Running around in several different costumes in a day is also very trying. I've learned my lesson and I'm toning it down and sticking to schedules so that way I won't be as crazy, and I'll have a lot more fun.

Eh... I hope that I finish everything by AX. If not I can always wear costumes that I've already completed, and save the incomplete ones for another convention. *shrug*
Unread 06-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #13
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

I should be stressing, but for some reason I'm not.. got 2 more to finish... *goes back to the hammock*
Unread 06-19-2003, 12:29 AM   #14
Psychotic Jei
Quality Scr-what.

I -was- stressing. But then I got a job today....and my boss is letting me take the days off for AX....and yeah...I'm just chillin now.
Psychotic Jei is offline   Reply With Quote