Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!

boot covers + velcro

i'm making boot covers with velcro and i have no idea on where i should put the velcro XD the boot covers are made out of this red Vinyl like material. i was thinking i could attach them to the back of my calf but it might feel wierd, but if i add it to my inner leg (like the gogo300) boots then i'd have to cut a seam there and the velcro will still be stiff.

so where would you put it and how would you break it in so its not as stiff?

Anime Detour: Rena.hack// ::::: Acen: anthy himemiya from revolutionary girl utena::: Acen:: Nico// love live.
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

Generally, I never use velcro for boot slips if I can manage it. I will use zippers in the back seam if it's non-stretch fabric, but velcro is too bulky and loud for me. As your leg muscles do move a lot, you would need a pretty strong velcro (like industrial strength as opposed to normal sew-in velcro) to keep the boot cover closed, hence the bulk.

I don't know how you could soften the velcro up without washing it, but vinyl doesn't really wash well. Seems to be best to place it in the inner part of the boot slip; placing it along the back would be distracting.

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
rainbow_dancer

lol. thank you. ^^ i'd use zippers if it wasn't for the fact that they either are too long or way way too short. XD

Anime Detour: Rena.hack// ::::: Acen: anthy himemiya from revolutionary girl utena::: Acen:: Nico// love live.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

You can always shorten the zippers. You can put a dab of hot glue at the end once you cut it to the appropriate length: a big dab at the bottom of the zipper if you cut that part, or a small dab on either side of the zipper teeth if you shorten it from the top to make "stops" for the zipper head.

If you do still want to do velcro, and you want to go with a back seam, just make sure the boot slip fastens toward the inside; that way, the velcro is relatively hidden from view. If you go with the inside seam, make sure the velcro fastens with the front on top of the rear part.

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
rainbow_dancer

thanks!!! thats helpful!!