Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Super Smash Bros.

Unread 03-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
spalka14

Live Action Brawl

So, I had an ingenious idea to simulate a battle from Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the quad at my school. I have a group of friends who are willing to dress up and "fight" while four other friends stand in front of the battle with controllers as if they were playing the game. The only problem is that we seem to be having trouble with costuming. Since this is for a simulated fight, we don't want to wear anything that costs so much or takes so much time to make that we will get upset if there are grass stains on them at the end of the battle. We have some idea of the characters we would like to portray, but as for exactly how to execute them, we are a bit stumped. Weapons are a priority also, as this would be a boring fight with out them. However we don't want ones that are easily broken. Any suggestions would be helpful. Here are the characters we are planning on doing:
Link, Pit, Peach, Snake, Pikachu, Zero Suit Samus, King Dedede (we have a penguin suit for this, but the other aspects have been some trouble)
Thank you!
spalka14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

I gotta say that I don't recommend Zero Suit Samus. That costume is going to cost a lot more and take a lot longer than you think it will.
Also, maybe try the Videogames forums, specifically the Zelda thread for Link. I'm sure you'll get good suggestions from people that have made the costumes before.
Awesome idea, hope to see it on Youtube or something!
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Probability
Makin' it Probable

Yeah I don't see how you could really do a respectable/recognizable Samus suit on the cheap if you're intending on beating on it.

If you're not doing this soon and depending on how furry the costume is Pikachu might be something you can't use when the weather gets warmer. You'd heatstroke the poor guy in it.

You're speaking of a choreographed fight right? Not just "we'll all put on costumes and wing it as we go".

I'd also suggest telling someone at the faculty at the school you're doing this. Even if it's not real, if someone sees it and think it IS a real fight, they might laugh about it after but they also might get pissed. Some schools call the cops for fights now instead of getting the faculty involved, so if they just see it at a distance and call the cops, and THEN find out it was a joke you didn't tell them about... well depends on your school. I'm sure most people couldn't resist laughing when they found out about it, but their are jerks out there, and if you have permission the heats off you. So I'd say get permission first.

"Yeah I know... all I got is several non-CP shots in my gallery... not all of us first timers can Macguyver together a costume from two pieces of dental floss, a stick of chewing gum, and an apple core like Mandy can."

Last edited by Probability : 03-15-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: i saw a mistake and editing is easier then making a time machine to go back and stop it
Probability is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
_Peppermint_
Sherlockian and Dreamer.

Zero Suit Samus doesn't seem to be a good option :/ It'll be quite expensive and you really wouldn't want grass stains on it.
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Squiggle
Grammer Nazi

Zero suit Samus is just a blue jumpsuit. That will probably be the easiest/cheapest of them all. Have you even looked around or thought about how to do any of these or did you just want everyone here to work it out for you? Not trying to sound mean but we have no idea what resources you have, how much money you want to spend, or how much time you have.

You want cheap and durable? Probably not going to happen. Even seasoned cosplayers can have a hard time making things durable enough to even carry around in a crowd for a few hours let alone fight with it.
The subject discovered
That, sadly, the cake was a lie
Squiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
spalka14

In response to Squiggle, I have been thinking and have come up with quite a few ideas, I was simply hoping that people with more experience might have tips on some aspects. It was not my intention for people to tell me every minor detail about every character's costume. I'm just looking for helpful tips. As for time, we are planning on doing it whenever we have all the costumes prepared, which could take a while even with simple outfits, considering we live in a small town with few resources. And as for money, I'm not really sure, but I was thinking somewhere in the range of $25 per outfit, considering we already own many aspects we are intending on using.

As for being durable, I am referring to the weapons, which needn't be 100% accurate. A simple plastic sword would (and will have to) do for Link's Master Sword. The costumes I am hoping will be "durable" in the sense that they won't fall off.
Unread 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Squiggle
Grammer Nazi

Can you elaborate on what you have? You said you have a penguin suit for King Dedede... I would suggest perhaps a red bathrobe (remember thrift stores are wonderful!), a Santa hat (everybody has one of those laying around, right?), and for the hammer maybe an empty water cooler jug fixed to an old broom handle. Remember that you won't want something that big to be
too heavy in case someone should get hit.

For Link, (I'm thinking as cheap as possible) an over-sized green T-shirt with a belt and you could make a shield out of cardboard and layer more cardboard for reinforcement. Hit up Wally-World for a child's play toy.

I still say that a blue jumpsuit (think painter's suit: Wal-Mart or a large auto parts store like NAPA) is your best bet for Zero suit.

You can easily fashion a tunic for Pit out of white bedsheets. Search online for "sheet toga tying methods" and no doubt you'll find plenty of instruction. As for the wings... I'm not sure. I would suggest a costume store but you probably don't have one in your area. White foam cut out in the shape of wings maybe?

With the budget you want to work with, you'll have to get pretty resourceful.

What else to you have in terms of items or stores? I'm just tossing out ideas. You don't have to use them or like them, but even bad ideas can spark something worthwhile.
The subject discovered
That, sadly, the cake was a lie
Squiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Kazukii
Nyaa

Probably get better help/ ideas from this smash brothers thread that's been made already.
~
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=7434

Commissions @
Anisazi Costuming
Kazukii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
spalka14

Squiggle, I like you're ideas. I'm a big proponent of Wal-Mart when it comes to cheap costumes. (Props on calling it "Wally World, btw)

I was thinking along the same lines for link as you were with the oversize t-shirt. The guy who will be playing him isn't really tall, so it won't be hard to get a shirt for him that is big enough to pass as a tunic.
With Pit, I'm willing to put a little more time and money since I'll be playing him and would actually not mind having a Pit costume lying around in the future, just in case. I'm planning on getting wings at a party store near my home over spring break, so that is pretty much covered. The issue I have with him, though, is the bow/swords. I was thinking of just doing them out of cardboard with some pvc for the handles, then i could joint the middle and use it as a bow as well as 2 swords.
The girl who is playing peach said she would make herself a costume, so that is taken care of.
Some people were saying all you need for Snake is camouflage, but in the game he isn't wearing it, so I'm not really sure what to do there.
For Pikachu, I was thinking of simply having the guy wear a yellow shirt and shorts with his face painted yellow with the red cheeks and then cutting some ears out of cardboard. The problem of attaching the ears has yet to be addressed however. I was thinking of maybe pinning them to a red cap and saying that he's the red team costumed pikachu
I like your idea for Samus, but we were considering blue under armor type of clothes, but my issue was that people who don't play brawl wouldn't get the reference.
I like your ideas for King Dedede also, but wouldn't a water jug have a spout?

And trust me, we are being quite resourceful. There are a few thrift shops around here, and we plan on hitting up all of them. Plus we have stuff at home that we can get over break. I appreciate any and all suggestions. They do help. Thanks.
Unread 03-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #10
spalka14

Ok, I solved the problem of King Dedede's hammer. I was inspired by squiggle's water jug idea. However, instead of a water jug, I'm thinking a large plastic bucket with a lid, like the kind that have the warning not to put kids inside them. Then to make it not hurt when somebody gets hit (not that it would be a hard hit, just that plastic can hurt sometimes) cover it in a layer of batting and some cotton stuffing on the ends then covering the whole thing in brown fabric. What do you think? I know it's a bit involved, but I've done a lot bigger projects.
Unread 03-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
TheRareHunterH
Who watches the Rare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalka14 View Post
With Pit, I'm willing to put a little more time and money since I'll be playing him and would actually not mind having a Pit costume lying around in the future, just in case. I'm planning on getting wings at a party store near my home over spring break, so that is pretty much covered. The issue I have with him, though, is the bow/swords. I was thinking of just doing them out of cardboard with some pvc for the handles, then i could joint the middle and use it as a bow as well as 2 swords.
I'm actually working on a Pit costume right now, complete with Palutena's bow. I'm taking a time-consuming yet reasonably cheap method for the Bow, but hopefully you can get something useful out of this.

I had a foamboard base upon which I measured out and drew the identical swords (just make sure that when you would piece the two swords together, you have these two pointed tips on the hilts that point outward). I used an exacto knife to cut out one of the swords, overlapped it with the other to check for measurement accuracy, and then cut out the second one. Make sure that you check the size of the swords relative to yourself in a mirror or something, because Pit is really small and you may think you have the right sized prop, but compared to you it turns out rather miniscule. Don't let that happen. Anyway, I'll soon be covering the foamboard swords with Crayola Model Magic. I got 2 lbs. for $10. I'm not sure if this is available all over the United States, but we have AC Moore and Michael's that put out 40-50% off coupons every weekend, so my total cost with the foamboard was just a bit over $11.
Just because I feel like it's important, it's notable that Pit holds the sword in his left hand in a reversed position- it extends from the bottom of his hand and the blade faces the ground in a normal standing position. The other one, in his right hand, is held normally like a scimitar (I think that's what they're called). It allows for much better swordsplay and allows you to connect the two swords in one quick step.

If you have any other questions about a Pit cosplay, I'll try my best to offer some help! I hope this advice helps you some!

Edit: Oh, also I forgot to mention... If you're planning to buy any fabric to sew, I highly suggest felt. Cheap, folds beautifully (important for Pit's toga), thick and durable, the colors stand out, and it can be easily stiffened.

Last edited by TheRareHunterH : 03-17-2008 at 12:16 PM.
TheRareHunterH is offline   Reply With Quote